Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 04:34PM

OK kids, I've heard your horror stories and I don't want to create them when I visit my grown children in their own homes. None of the offspring live close enough for a drop in visit and hotels can be a little pricey on top of other travel expenses.

Usually their dad and I make sure they know we are 100% available for babysitting at the drop of a hat if they want some away time (for the ones who have kids).

When both work we spend as much time as possible out of their hair on weekdays. We go see whatever sights there are to see and I often let them know we will grab dinner and be back to their place around 8 or 9. On weekends we offer a group get away or at least out-to-dinner on us.

We try not to tell them how to live (but we have some great ideas for them so I'm sure we do).

What do you wish your inlaws would do or not do when they turn up at your house?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 04:51PM

Date: November 05, 2011 04:57PM

that our kids are nevermos. One was baptized, but he sent in his resignation papers with ours.

Our kids are: Oldest - united church of christ - he's a hospital chaplain, 2nd - Catholic, it was the only way to get the girl's family to truly endorse the marriage, but it seems to work for them, third - Korean - I know it's not a religion, but he moved there, married a local and has no interest in returning to the U.S. Fourth - UU like us.

So we really don't discuss religion with the grandkids. Not by avoiding, it just never comes up.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 05:19PM

Hi MsMom, I have missed your Chelmsford reports!
My new daughter in law is Viet Namese and expects that I will move in with them when I reach decrepitude. I am going to stay healthy and on my own for as long as possible.
right now I make appointments to visit as both my son and daughter in law work full time and son takes work home on the weekends.
tomorrow I have an appointment to clean a basement/office at his Buddhist temple.
I have to snicker when I read about Mormons cleaning their "temples" as I do my work voluntarily and have the resident Buddhists falling all over themselves with gratitude towards me.
as my new grandson has a whole Asian tribe to care for him, and his mom is one of those super tiger mommies, I doubt if I will ever get to babysit before he is 21!
all is well, Librarian

Date: November 07, 2011 12:01PM

Appointments - also a good protocol.

Nice to have DIL who expects to take you in!

1st Parish still going strong. Might post again about it. I was just thinking today of what I would write about this past Sunday.

Posted by: christieja ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 02:14PM

It sounds like you are the perfect in-laws to have and I wouldn't change a thing. Well maybe if you were my mother-in-law I would secretly hope you would organize all of my cupboards and drawers :o).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.