Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 08:54AM

The metaphors abound in the Bible about the "good shepherd" looking after his flock. Good and well. But take the thought one further: is the shepherd REALLY caring about his flock? Does he shepherd them for their own good?

NO. Once he's ready, he is going to shear off the wool of some and butcher others. THEY ARE THERE FOR HIS CONSUMPTION!

I'd rather have a teacher than a shepherd. I'd rather have a friend than a savior. I'd rather have a sometimes bleak worldview than a sugary fantasy. That's just me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 09:11AM

That metaphor is especially disturbing.

It's true that the shepherd provides food and protection (for awhile). But this means the sheep are bred and kept to depend on being taken care of.

It's true that sheep need someone to remove their fleece. But the idea behind the sheering is to sell the wool. They can't do this for each other, they need the shepherd.

It's creepy on so many levels. I don't find it comforting or inspirational in any way. Every time someone starts talking about their shepherd, all I hear is them saying, "Baaaaaa. I'm a herd animal and I like it that way."

Date: November 07, 2011 10:59AM

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 06:59AM

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 09:48AM

I never like being called a sheep. Hell, if I am a child of God, then I am NOT a sheep. I have a God given brain and can mostly take care of myself.

Sheep, shit, I am NOT a sheep!

Date: November 07, 2011 11:03AM

That God became God by being the most sheepish of the sheep. Doesn't sound very divine to me.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 09:59AM

The shepherd metaphor is about fear of the cold, cruel world where predators await and where you couldn't possibly survive on your own. That was more relevant back in tribal cultures where you needed the family, the clan, the tribe for support. And that meant conformity was essential. Go along, fit in, obey, or be cast out to fend for yourself. That's why religions rooted in those tribal cultures are about conformity and obedience. The religions were developed as conformity enforcers and authority validators. There was a slight attitude shift between the Old Testament and New Testament. The obey-or-be-killed god was remade into the it's-for-your-own-well-being shepherd god, but the ultimate goal is the same: conformity and obedience.

Date: November 07, 2011 10:09AM

had to be made a little broader and softer since they would be selling him to the gentiles. Gentile conversion prospects had less problems with virgin goddesses giving birth and polytheistic trinities, too.

Once the movement became big and unruly the Council of Nicea was convened to get things under control. Until then, it was a bit of a free for all. Things would clamp down (mostly) for another 1200 years until the Reformation blew the lid off and it was anotherr free for all.

Posted by: hollensnopper ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 02:25AM

I actually raise sheep. Did you know they are not the docile, sweet characters we were led to believe?

They can be (and often are) vicious. Some new mothers murder their lambs during the first day or two of life. One of our older lambs head-butted to death a younger lamb.

I think there's another reason we are referred to as "sheep"
Just sayin..................

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 03:14AM

It rather offended me to be told I was too stupid to know how to find my own food and safe water to drink. Fortunately, I never had enough wool to be fleeced. ;)

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 04:04AM

Rebeckah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It rather offended me to be told I was too stupid
> to know how to find my own food and safe water to
> drink.

How many city dwellers know how to find their own food (yeah...right in aisle 3) or safe water to drink (say, from the faucets in Hinkley, CA)?

And Big Business is no benevolent God.

Posted by: wirehead ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 06:46AM

baaa, baaa, sheeple...

I came to the conclusion that the church... really any church out there... no offense intended, but. they are the most prolific generators of sheeple. That's why I'm somewhat jaded when it comes to any form of organized religion, and thus cut out all the extraneous crap and boil it down to the simplest possible: me, the bible, and the Lord.

Not saying that all the people in organized religion is bad, no, it's just my point of view on the subject. I prefer not to be a sheeple.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 06:58AM

The Church fleecing "their" sheep.

The sheep are supposed to think the shepard is there to protect them.

As a sheep I'd prefer to take my chances with the wolves. Instead of the guarenteed fate with the Shepard, of the being fleeced or killed if he so desires. Yep, as a sheep I exist solely for the shepards benefit.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.