Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Texas girl ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 01:59PM

They are at it again!!! Arghhhh! Received the below email from a neighbor on Saturday. I have told her about the stalking behavior of Mormons in the past, and I don't think she really believed me. Now she's seen it for herself. I asked her to take photos or a video the next time she sees them.

Should have been doing this all along, but I'm going to document the harassment in detail from this point forward. Geez, it's been over 20 years since I've been to their church (with the exception of my Dad's funeral). And they say that we can't leave THEM alone!!

Here it is--
Hey, I was sitting on the sofa this morning sorting through a massive pile of mail when I saw a gray F150 pull up in front of your house, and two guys, dressed smartly in their dark slacks, white shirt and tie, got out of the truck. I knew you weren't home, since I noticed you leave earlier as I was pouring my coffee, so I watched them. ;) They walked up to your door, carefully read your posted sign -- then proceeded to knock -- at least five times -- while waiting for you to answer. Poor Casey. :( They stood on your porch for about five minutes, filled something out on their clipboard and I think stuck it into your mailbox (isn't that illegal??) -- Anyway, your car got the BIG STINK eye from both of them as they walked back to their truck. I thought you'd want to know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 02:16PM

What was on your mailbox? Was it from the LDS Church's representatives? Or some other group?

Date: November 07, 2011 10:13PM

Susie Q, on Saturday, they left a printed speech INSIDE my mailbox - the author is some guy named Dieter Uchtdorf called "You Matter to Him". So it was definitely from the LDS church.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 02:28PM

I had to google 'stink eye' as I'd never heard that expression; love it! ;-)

I agree about documenting their behaviour. It's cool that you now have help and a witness.

Is that a 'no solicitation' sign that you have posted?

Date: November 07, 2011 10:17PM

Spaghetti oh, I love the stink eye expression, too! I actually have two signs on my door - "No Soliciting"...and "Please do not leave brochures or flyers no the front porch or door". Funny thing - they chose to adhere to the second sign - by illegally placing their stuff inside my mailbox.

Date: November 07, 2011 10:26PM

So, I got home from work today, and realized they had been at my house AGAIN. This time they left questionnaire and return envelope in my mailbox. ARGHHHHHHH!!

Here's what the it says-

Hello,

Does Last Name, First Name (the letter lists my last and first name) live at this address? Yes / No

I would like more information from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Yes / No

Below is my contact information:

Name:
Email:
Phone:
Correct Physical Address;

I am currently a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and would like home teachers assigned. Yes / No

Please place this letter in the enclosed stamped, addressed envelope and mail.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 11:52PM

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 02:57AM

Mail it with as much junk mail that you can stuff in it. If it has one of those stamped return postages on it (like what comes on those credit applications) they will have to pay for the weight. Put a thin shingle in it and they will have to pay more because it is stiff.

I'm doing this unsolicited credit applications and I may start doing it with unsolicited insurance applications.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 09:49AM

I once worked for a firm that did extensive mail solicitation.
One day one of their postage-paid post cards came back attached to a brick.

Nope, not apocryphal, as I saw the brick, the attached post card, and the postal cancellation mark on the latter.

I _am_ surprised that the P.O. went along with the "gag" - but I guess they saw the humor in it ...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 01:13AM

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 02:48PM

I'm curious what's up with your car that required stink eye.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 02:52PM

and yes it is illegal to put anything or even touch that mailbox!! it is actually PROPERTY of the us postal service(i am pretty sure)!!

Date: November 07, 2011 10:30PM

I'm sure they thought I was at home and ignoring them...thus the dirty look in my car's direction upon leaving.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 02:58PM

I bet they thought Texas girl was at home not answering the door. They might assume that because of the car, which they then gave the stink eye.

They definitely need a little refamiliarization with postal law. >:( Got any lawyer friends whose letterhead you could use? Hell a lawyer might like a case involving repeated unwelcome visits combined with mailbox tampering.

Date: November 07, 2011 10:29PM

So, I got home from work today, and realized they had been at my house AGAIN. This time they left a questionnaire and return envelope in my mailbox. ARGHHHHHHH!!

Here's what the it says-

Hello,

Does Last Name, First Name (the letter lists my last and first name) live at this address? Yes / No

I would like more information from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Yes / No

Below is my contact information:

Name:
Email:
Phone:
Correct Physical Address:

I am currently a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and would like home teachers assigned. Yes / No

Please place this letter in the enclosed stamped, addressed envelope and mail.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 10:36PM

Since they gave you an address for your response, there is no doubt who it is from, that the Post Office will see that they stop using your mail box.

If they do it again, and your neighbor is watching, tell her to call the police and say that it appears that someone is trying to steal your mail, since they are opening your mail box. Get a license number for the car.

Posted by: Longout ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 10:49PM

Name: Fawn M. Brodie
Member: Faculty of Brigham Young University
Author of the Biography of Joseph Smith

Read: No man Knows my History

Let's talk.

Posted by: Longout ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 10:56PM

Your neighbor will be identified as "anti" and they will dust their feet leaving her yard. When I presented this book to one of the mishies (the one from So. America, his partner being Royalty), The book was more effective than garlic or a crucifix. It took more than a day for them to realize (via instructions) our danger. Effective. No mishie visits ever since.

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 11:05PM

You have not been to church in 20 years? They seem so desperate to me. Must be a big push going on. Way too pushy for my cup of tea! A garden hose might be in your future! ;)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 06:44AM

I'd go for a garden hose.

The ideas about sending back their junk mail are also justified.

Posted by: rowan ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 08:31AM

I want to share the sign that I have on the window next to my front door.

S T O P

Please read before knocking...

1. Do not knock if you are trying to sell me something. I have a house full of things that I can sell to you.

2. Do not knock if you are wanting to share your religion with me. Do not leave your "love gifts" or printed information.

3. Do not knock if you are a Republican wanting my vote. I am a Democrat and I want yours.

4. Do not knock if you want a donation. We have our own charities that we support, and I will expect you to donate generously to all of them.

5. I consider people who drop in without calling first to be RUDE, PUSHY and INTRUSIVE. Therefore, I treat them the way they deserve.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 08:31AM

The Mormons aren't exactly improving they're image with these desperate stalking attempts to "rescue" former members of 20 years. They should get five or ten of these weirdos in the identical suits for their "I'm a Mormon" ad campaign. They could speak in unison and give the camera big glassy smiles. Your neighbor must be horrified for you.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 09:58PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 02:40PM

NOTICE:

I am under no obligation to:
avoid all loud laughter,
lightmindedness,
evil speaking of the lords anointed
or any other impure or unholy practice

Enter at you own risk
Rachel, My New Name

(Big Smiley Face here!)

For those that have been to the temple, this statement is from The Law of the Gospel, one of the temple covenants. As the temple is so sacred it is not to be discussed, seeing this statement on a door can be quite a shock! And humorous.

Law of the Gospel: We are required to give unto you the Law of the Gospel as contained in the Holy Scriptures; to give unto you also a charge to avoid all lightmindedness, loud laughter, evil speaking of the Lord's anointed, the taking of the name of God in vain, and every other unholy and impure practice, and to cause you to receive these by covenant.

REST HERE:
http://www.lds4u.com/lesson5/templecovenants.htm

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 02:52PM

Since Perry was in the news calling the LDS a cult, some Texas paper might want to take up this story. The story line would be a group you abandoned 20 years ago but they still come calling. Heck, theres a statute of limitations on some crimes and some taxes but not on the LDS.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.