Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 10:12PM

It isn't about truth or faith or the gospel.

It comes down to being "one of us". A "member" versus a "non-member". One of the peculiar people. We dress different, we eat and drink different, we are not of your world. We speak to eachother in coded language. We even speak of tribes.

Conflict and criticism strengthens it. What weakens it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 10:15PM

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 10:31PM

Which is why they need to give you a cult name.

Posted by: Just browsing ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 11:32PM

To some members, being a Mormon "IS" their identity.
If you ask "Who are you ?" or "What type of person are you" --

"I am Mormon" --is their answer

Also adding titles to that membership tag is extremely important to give them credibility--

Returned Missionary
Endowed
Temple Reccomend Holder
President
Bishop

I hate to admit this, I never try to challenge these type of TBM, because if you take their attachment to the CHURCH away they would evaporate..

JB

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 11:37PM

bishop, stake president, etc. is the only power a lot of these people ever have in their lives. It goes to their head. They perceive themselves as having more power than they really do. They love it, they abuse it, and feel good about it.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 11:47PM

agree.

The Mo Emphasis on centralized authority, the military-style Chain-of-Command all point to this.

Compare & Contrast: My comparison is to the Mennonite faith.
ministers-pastors are more Facilitator than leader.

People don't get their knickers in a twist over minor items.

Contrary to what Mormonism taught me, they're much more close-knot; part of this is attributable to CHOICE to worship there, NOT ASSIGNED by geography!

Mainstream Christianity is a Whole Different World!

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 11:51PM

Ultimately, it's fundamentally tribal--and I dare say that for most participants in these human sociological exercises, it doesn't have much to do with any kind of supposedly universal "gospel truth" or "gospel faith"--except as that group-defined gospel truth or faith serves to give what is regarded as special purpose, meaning and identity to members of a given human-organized community of believers who need that kind of life-affirming/defining/stabilizing structure for their own personal reasons.

Eric Hoffer lays this out in his primer, "The True Believer," in which he examines the shared dynamics which underpin why people join mass movements.

Mormonism is simply another manifestation of the primitive, organically-evolved human impulse to identify and then prevail over competing tribes that are perceived as posing threats to the interests and/or survival of one's own favored group.

Some human groups do this by utilizing more authoritarian means of control than others, but humans as a species of social animals naturally and predictably engage in some form or another of survival of the fittest as they pursue personal advantage and benefit, often through the vehicle of the larger group. They do this either consciously or subconciously, but they do it instinctively.

It's just what we do, Mormons or not.

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2011 02:03AM by steve benson.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.