Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 04:08PM

Got this email today from a distraught reader who didn't like my criticism of that other Joe (as in the one at Penn State):

"It is ludicrous for someone who spent decades worshipping in a cult that promoted child rape to disparage Joe Paterno."
_____

My reply:

"It’s anything but ludicrous.

"Paterno has lost much of his support from the Penn State’s Board of Trustees, and there are increasing calls on campus for him to leave, having disgraced the university. Paterno knew about Sandusky’s reported behavior way back in 2002 and did nothing—nothing—to contact police.

"Besides, you are just anti-Mormon (although faithful Mormons hate me for leaving their ranks and blowing the whistle on them).

"You are simply attempting to divert attention away from your chest-pounding love of Joe Paterno

"Joe’s toast (and, no, this time I’m not talking about the Mormon Joe Smith). I’m talking about your Joe:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/sports/ncaafootball/penn-state-said-to-be-planning-paternos-exit.html "

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2011 05:00PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 05:00PM

"It is ludicrous for someone who spent decades worshipping in a cult that promoted child rape to disparage Joe Paterno."

Ouch.

I wonder where your correspondent has spent decades worshipping. Likely in the faith they were born into.

Funny how that works.

Date: November 08, 2011 05:31PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2011 05:34PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Raider ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 08:54AM

AHA! Spherical Deity worship in all its forms!

Date: November 08, 2011 05:47PM

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 05:56PM

Yes. And i've especially noticed the correlation between fundamentalist jesus worship and NASCAR...

Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 08:40AM

Now I have to wonder, What Would Jesus Drive?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 05:58PM

They said it is a conspiracy. Yes, everyone is involved in a giant conspiracy to disparage Joe Paterno!

No need for facts. Stick with the first conclusion you prefer: it's a conspiracy. Obviously anyone who is/was a Mormon would not be that astute. :-)

Date: November 08, 2011 06:01PM

. . . demanding Paterno's head, like John the Baptist's, on a platter.

I have a colleague who proudly went to Penn State (and who today is hanging a Penn State banner upside down in mourning, no kidding), who is of the firm opinion that this scandal is going to take down the present university administration, not to mention Patron Saint Paterno.

Certainly, this colleague is part of the evil plot, too.

(And don't forget the ex-Mormons who are also secretly in on the act to depose the coach).

Geezus.

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2011 06:24PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 08:41PM

When sexual abuse occurs and is found out, the correct response is disclosure followed by consequences for the abuser and protection for other vulnerable potential victims.

Cover-up is additional abuse against the victim.

Denial causes more anguish.

Everyone who doesn't report and protect is guilty of collusion in a horrific crime.

Posted by: Moira (NotLoggedIn) ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 11:21PM

I can only read a little at a time as it is so disturbing and tragic on so many levels. The whole thing is disgusting. Sandusky shouldn't be the only one going to jail.

I find myself comparing this to the Catholic Church but also, of course, the Mormon Church. I can't remember the particulars but a while back someone posted about a person committing suicide on a temple grounds (several actually). Since it occurred on private property, they were able to keep it out of the news. Church security or campus security, they band together to cover their a$$es.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 01:21AM

steve benson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> . . . demanding Paterno's head, like John the
> Baptist's, on a platter.
the act to depose the coach).

with cheerleaders dancing the part of Salome . . . .

Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 10:08AM

What a ridiculous statement! I can't think of anyone alive doing more than you to expose the "cult that promoted child rape".

He gives sports fanatics a bad name.

Date: November 09, 2011 04:19PM

. , , deems it important to remind fellow alums of Penn State's current winning record of 8 and 1.

This is how the nuts keep things in "perspective."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2011 04:20PM by steve benson.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.