Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 06:58PM

I've had a couple of large brandys (that I needed and I'll explain...).

My darling sister, the Greek Islander, is really struggling right now in her massive battle with chemo. Nausea is so bad that she's become very dehydrated and is now not fit for the next session. She's in hospital, having been rehydrated intravenously but the nausea returns as soon as the medication wears off. Tonight, after a very tough day she's heavily medicated and I'm naturally feeling quite fearful for the outcome.

Is there anyone... anyone at all... who can shed some light on what is going on with her. I fear for her today and of course, my grief is somewhat selfish because I really will her, minute by minute, to get through this. I can't bear the thought that I might lose her but know in my heart of hearts that this is a real possibility. I feel so helpless and her lovely hubby is struggling to cope too.

Things are looking bad right now and I'm in pieces tonight.

So sorry for ranting on and tomorrow I'll regret posting something so personal on this public forum. Please understand and tomorrow we'll draw a line under this and move on. Hopefully she'll have rallied by then.

Briggy

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 07:06PM

I type medical records--and this does happen even with those who get through it. It is obviously a complication and she can get through it. It doesn't mean that she will.

I am so very, very sorry. Keep us posted.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 07:14PM

I can only offer a cyber hug for you both.

Plus a link http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Chemotherapy/Pages/Side-effects.aspx

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2011 07:14PM by matt.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 07:20PM

None of us get out of here unscarred by loss or pain of potential losst (cl2 your insight and words were magnificent!), and there's no embarassment for "posting something so personal"; that's what this place is for...

You are loved, and so many here have known what the "instant social isolation" feels like when one separates from the LDS Church that we do what we can to offer some comfort and connection...

A couple of brandys, eh? Excellent... I'd tell you to have another for me, but your dosage seems about right... Shoot, if I could've stopped at two, I never would've had any troubles...

Stay connected with the people that care about you; that's some old advice I shamelessly stole from one wiser than I... And I had to quit worrying about "looking good" during these times...

SLC

Posted by: jessica ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 07:27PM

Tell her to ask her doctor about anti-nausea medications for the side effects of chemo. This is normal but there are options so she can eat again, if what they are giving her isn't working it's time to try something new. You are in for a rough ride because there are more side effects--numbness, sensitivity to hot/cold things but she can make it through it, cancer is no longer a death sentence.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 07:31PM

I have friends who used medical marijuana when they were going through chemo. I guess it helped a lot.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 07:34PM

It is 12:30 (that is past midnight here) and I need to try and sleep now. Tomorrow I'll be visiting her and I really hope for some improvement by then but that's all we can do, hope and trust in the wonderful care she's receiving from the best people in the health business.

If love could heal then nobody would ever die - that's a sad fact of life that I've learned the hard way perhaps.

However, love and empathy is powerful enough to get us through the toughest times and I'm grateful for that. Hopefully I'll be able to repay some day all the love I've received in this world - somehow.

Hugs back at you all - we'll get through this.

Briggy

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 08:34PM

Briggy, I have no advice for your sister, but I am sending warm thoughts and prayers your (and her) way. I really hope that her doctors are able to get her nausea under control. It doesn't seem right that something that is meant to help and make one better should also make one feel so awful, does it?

I spent the past year watching my dear brother battle cancer, and ultimately, and sadly, losing that battle four weeks ago. I know the toll this must be taking on you and all of your sister's family, and how helpless you can feel when you just want to make it all better, but can't. Stay strong and positive and know that we are all hopeful for a good outcome for your sister.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 08:48PM

Thinking of you and your sis, Briggy, in this rough time and hoping it will get better soon.

Condolences to you, looking in, for your loss. Harsh indeed. Hope you're doing OK.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 08:56PM

But am wishing you peace and sending you hugs. And wishing your sister the strength to deal with this challenge and win her battle. Good luck to both of you.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 08:59PM

Ask the doctor for a prescription (if this is legal where she is). Patients eat taffy laced with weed and they have it in other forms so one doesn't have to smoke. I volunteer for the medical marijuana testing laboratory so I am familiar with what the patients say. It overcomes nausea, increases appetite and dulls the pain.

My heart goes out to you in your feelings of helplessness and anxiety. It is exhausting to deal with the possibility of losing a loved one so be very good to yourself--lots of sleep, your favorite blanket and nightie and forget about calories. Take a hot bath a few times a day--there is something so soothing about that (to me), plus a glass of wine or chamomile tea and candles.

One other thing that I found helped me was a natural sound maker to insure a good night's sleep. Mine has the sounds of water lapping or rain, or wind, you choice and it really is effective in soothing worries to allow natural sleep.

I am sending good thoughts your way, friend and you will read this in the morning and know that you have all these little hearts in America and Australia and wherever, all rooting for you and your sister.

((Hugs))

Anagrammy

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 09:01PM

With each treatment her reactions got worse. But she made it through them. Sending good wishes that your sister will feel better soon!

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 10:58PM

I hope you know that you are loved.

And I bet you anything your sis knows how lucky she is to have YOU.

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 11:29PM

Texas size hugs for you and your sister.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 11:45PM

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 11:53PM

What you're going through is tough. I wish I could come help out in some way, feed the cat, walk the dog, get you a tissue or another round. So hard to watch someone having such a hard time.

Our virtual prayers/good wishes/visualization of a golden heavenly light surrounding you..... the thought is the same....love and caring and support to you sent now in this forum to you.
Please keep us posted. If you were within walking distance we'd all 'love bomb' you but not with stale cookies on a paper plate! LOL!

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 11:54PM

brigantia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Things are looking bad right now and I'm in pieces
> tonight.

Can we help hold the pieces for you?

Some folks actually have an allergy like reaction to chemo and perhaps they need to try a different chemo.

Also medical marijuana can be a wonder. Is it legal where you are? I have a friend with cancer who is taking medical marijuana
for her nausea and it is helping her. Might be worth a try if that is available to her.

Hang in there Briggy and I hope your sister pulls through this tough phase.

I hear your feeling of being helpless but really the gift of your presence is helping your sister.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 11:58PM

6 years ago I had a very aggresive form of breast cancer. I was given a 17% chance at survival. The chemo I had to endure (altogether 72 rounds,but the last 50 were much easier on me) was almost more than I could handle.I was so sick,for so long,I really didn't care if I lived. But then,thinking of my then 1 and 4 year olds,I knew I had to fight for them.

Cancer is ugly,and I so hope this turns out as well as mine did. You are a wonderful sister,just the love you give to her is a big help. I am so sorry your sister is going through this,and so sorry you have to watch her in pain. Lots of hugs from a survivor!

Posted by: ellie ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 12:15AM

So sorry to read this. You deserve those brandys. My mil and bil just went through brain cancer and lymphoma. Both were very sick from treatment. A portable sauna helped my mil during treatment and medicinal marijuana helped my bil.
I hope nothing but the best for you and your family and hope that you can get some sleep. :(

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 12:21AM

...but I just want to send you a hug through cyberspace. I hope that in time things look a little bit brighter for you both.

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 12:35AM

Cyber-hugs to you, Briggy, and to all of you on this board who've commented about yourselves or loved ones who've battled this horrible disease.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 02:15AM

Posted by: orphan ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 02:54AM

Wishing the best for you and your sister. I'll hug some people today and pretend it's you. I know it won't help you, but at least you'll know I'm thinking of you both. Jim

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 04:41AM

In the UK you cant get medical marijuana, but the prescription drugs they use to control nausea are based on cannabis extracts.

but *people I know* tell me that the prescription drugs do not do half as good a job as some marijuana. In some cases, it may be a good idea to have a word with someone 'down the pub' and get some bud. if you go down the illegal route, make sure you dont go for resin.

On a completely unrelated note, my brother was diagnosed with non-hodgkins last year, and underwent chemo. he found his tastes completely changed. he found that he felt nauseous drinking and eating things he used to like... he completely went off tea and beer, but took to liking coffee and crabbies ginger beer.... neither of which he could stand, before starting chemo.

and he it through it... after almost a year off work, he is now back at his old job and the lymphoma is a bad memory.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 05:00AM

...of course is intended to kill the cancer cells, but it's not specifically selective of only the cancer cells. There's collateral damage to healthy cells too. The chemotherapy blocks cellular division, which works because cancer cells are fast-dividing. But other high-turnover cells like the cells lining the digestive tract, and hair-growing cells, are especially vulnerable. That's why there's the classic severe nausea, vomiting, and hair loss.
It's terrible.
But, her relative comfort should be one of the main concerns of the doctors, and if it's torture they should be aggressively increasing nausea and pain control.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.