Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ellie ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 01:15AM

Whenever someone in the church offends my mom, says or does something she views as wrong in anyway, she will exclaim, "and they are in the church!!" Like because they are in the church they should know better and do no wrong. I just want to go off whenever she says that, but just bite my tongue...or when she will have nothing to do with someone until she finds out they are mormon, then they all of a sudden are the greatest thing since sliced bread!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 08:27AM

During a family reunion in Utah my mom was having some breathing problems due to the altitude. I took her to the ER in American Fork. WHen the Doctor came in and introduced himself she said, "Dr. Young. Well, that sounds like a good mormon name." As if should wouldn't have gotten just as good of care from Dr. Reubenstien.
I just wanted to crawl under the chair.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 09:10AM

If I was in there (just speaking for myself), I would've snapped, "Yes, and what about it?!"

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 09:19AM

observing & acknowledging sin in fellow members is a sin in its own right! and sin is to be strictly avoided by good latter day saints. its not a sin that my good member Mom is going to be doing. Besides if Members complain about other members then some non member might hear of it, and that would go against the stellar image of the Church! Even pershaps preventing some one from being converted! ( GASP!) perish that thought !

Whats wrong with your Mom? She really needs to step up her good member game!

Posted by: jasonian ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 10:01AM

I have non-Mormon Christian friends and members of ext. family.

The standard question when I say I've met a new friend or so is "Oh, is she/he Christian?"

When joining an association/club of some kind the question is rephrased:

"Are there any Christians there, though?"

"Do they drink?"

I don't think it's just a Mormon thing.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 12:17PM

People make associations and connect to people that they think are most like them. It's mostly cultural, I think.
It's just part of how people make connections and is normal, in my view.
Family references, names, etc. are about heritage much of the time, and that generally has some social connections that are important to people.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.