Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ctus ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 05:00PM

I have checked out a few, I have flirted with agnostic and atheistic thoughs. Right now i am leaning toward Episcopal churches, no hurry though.
just curious how leaving mormonism has affected others belief systems.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wings ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 05:13PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2010 05:33PM by wings.

Posted by: James ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 05:22PM

I am now a follower of a Pagan religion. Specifically, of a Druidic path. (No, we are not the ancient Druids, they no longer exist.)

Posted by: Thithter Thim ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 05:23PM

and enjoying every minute of it. But I like to surround myself with people of all faiths, for varieties sake.

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 05:24PM

Posted by: mick ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 05:27PM

I'm not saying there is or there isn't anything beyond this life.

I don't know and neither does anyone else.

I've read different religious texts and nothing seems to answer the real questions. Everything is shrouded in mystery and based on faith. For me that doesn't cut it. I want facts!

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 09:16PM

My sentiments exactly.

The agnostic creed: I don't know and neither do you!

Posted by: josh ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 05:27PM

I'd rather read philosophy than any religious texts.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 05:36PM

Liberal Jewish, same as before.

Note: No belief in God required.

Posted by: Gwylym ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 05:36PM

I go to a liberal Xristian church because my wife wants to but I am an agnostic bordering on atheism.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 05:43PM

Agnostic Atheist - dont believe in any god, (99.999% sure)
but allow (0.001%) for the very tiny possibility, that some intelligence may have been the prime cause of the universe.

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 06:04PM

I find inner peace in nature. I'm atheist. Like oceanelder, I leave the 0.00001% chance that a higher power exists, but I think you would be hard pressed to find any atheist that doesn't leave room for error.

My religion now is helping others, finding peace with family and friends, falling in love, treating my fur babies with all the TLC they can handle, and finding purpose in teaching youth.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 06:06PM

I am active in a Unitarian Universalist congregation.

Posted by: Dino ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 06:11PM

I am like vhainya, I lost belief in god. I didn't read any anti stuff until a couple years after that moment when I said to myself "I am an atheist."

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 06:14PM

Posted by: tapirbackrider ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 06:28PM

I am like Steve Benson, I believe in strict logic and knowledge. However, in my own schizophrenic way, I am also a confirmed agnostic, borderline atheist, that likes some of the tenets of Buddhism though I eschew all forms of organized religion (and in Buddhism, there is no need for a literal "god" as depicted in the West). Ironically, I feel much more relaxed in a Buddhist temple in Cambodia, Laos, or Thailand than any temple (Mormon or otherwise) that calls itself Christian or Jewish. The chants are, pardon the pun, enchanting.
Pure knowledge (science, anthropology, literature, etc.) is what rings my bell, existential philosophy soothes my soul (with a few snippets of Buddhism and even Sufiism mixed in) but the Buddhist chanting counts as my hymns now.

Posted by: Elise ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 06:28PM

I guess I'm the outlier here, but I'm Anglican. I like the music, tradition and liturgical language. I've always been a sucker for those things. I would have been Catholic, but I don't agree with their theology. I also like that Anglicans are quite liberal. A good balance of the two things I'm looking for in a religion (tradition and liberal thinking).

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 06:31PM

Date: November 14, 2010 06:36PM

He lay in bed at night wondering if there really is a dog.....

Date: November 14, 2010 06:38PM

If i do ever land on any one religion this would be a likely possibility. I like not only the allowance of thought but the encouragement to do so. As I said in the original post, the Episcopalian thoughts appeal to me so far.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 06:37PM

Posted by: seeker 1 ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 07:01PM

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 09:48PM

Me too. Can you believe the differences in Christianity and Mormonism? Mychurch is so layed back and FUN!!

Posted by: thebrotherofshiz ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 07:14PM

I don't believe in god. Why should I?

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 07:28PM

I too feel very comfortable in the Anglican Church. If I were going to be religious again, that's probably where I'd be.

But I suspect that I will never be religious again. I refuse to even define myself by religious terms now. I no longer call myself agnostic, atheist, or any kind of 'ist.

I'm simply a skeptic. Perhaps I'm sometimes a hopeful skeptic, but I seek a rational explanation for everything first and I need more proof than just a good feeling before I'll ever call anything a belief.

Discovering that Mormonism is a fraud opens the door to the idea that all religions are just man-made as well.

I like the saying that God didn't make man in His own image, but that man made God in their own image.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 07:34PM

Found the same problems with the Bible as I did Mormonism.

Just be happy, enjoy life and follow the Golden Rule is my "religion."

Posted by: mtnmdwcookiemonster ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 07:37PM

Though my friends non-mo religions seem almost fun and cool sometimes- until the fairy stories and constant need for god to get your cash. Apparently he is always short on cash in every religion.

Posted by: nodedog ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 08:00PM

I don't belong to any church. But I love to read books on spirituality. Right now I am reading "The book of balance and harmony", a Taoist classic. I have been interested in gnosticism. Also, I am intrigued with the idea that Mary Magdalene was married to Jesus from "The woman with the alabaster jar" by Margaret Starbird.

My wife is a converted Catholic and I have gone with her a little but I could never be one. Where I live in New Mexico, Native American beliefs have intertwined with Catholicism.

I will never commit to any religion however. I just could allow someone else to have that much control over something as sacred as my spirit. If I am wrong, I am sure God (or the Goddess) will understand.

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 08:15PM

A few days ago, I went to beliefnet.com, and took their 'spirituality quiz'. After completing it, I came up with a 100% match for "neo-paganism". I've just returned from a meeting with a group of people from a local Asatru tribe (Norse Heathenism). They said that they recently had an activity in which they made "mead". Sounds like a fun group...

Posted by: James ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 08:22PM

Most Asatru folk are great people.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 08:22PM

I like the Episcopal church, as it's "Catholic Lite" but I have no desire at this time to formally join, and I mostly go maybe twice a year at the most. I especially like that they don't send people to your house to find out why you haven't been going to church, and there's no pressure to formally join. Even then, it takes several months of classes to make sure someone is fully ready before making that commitment.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 08:33PM

I call myself an Eccentric Eclectic because I like a little bit of a lot of beliefs, notions, and ideas. Perhaps a lot of you are a lot like me.

I like the best notions/ideas from many old and new sources.
I pick and choose what makes sense to me, what can be validated, repeated, and rely on some simple dictionary definitions.

Everyone is technically -- agnostic according to this definition:

a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and prob. unknowable ;

In a broad sense I take this position also.
broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

Emotional bonding to traditional beliefs, even if thy are weird superstitions overrides logic and reason if one is constantly immersed in talk that is "truth."

Ignorance (lack of knowledge) and superstition require one ignore the questions of an honest skeptic.

About atheism:
Explicit: there are no gods
Implicit a position of non belief in gods due to the lack of evidence.

The default position: non belief in the unsupported theist claim that god exists.

I am agnostic an take the default position.

Those underlying notions in no way deter me from a fulfilled life, filled with fun and laughter, and enjoyment. I am more apt to have a better understanding and able to handle the "bad" times and the ugly behavior of others because I am not relying on a deity to settle the score in some after life.

I am part ----

I am part: AGNOSTIC:
This is safe and the most accurate. To say you are atheist is so politically incorrect, and unacceptable in this day and age that it is suicide to try to run for office, for instance, also, so many people believe that atheism is of the devil that many relationships are cut off before they begin because of this prejudice.

I find that calling myself an agnostic is preferable and works best for my own survival on many levels. Because I live in a predominant Judeo-Christian society (like most of us posting here) to be too far out of it causes more problems that it solves.

I am part SKEPTIC
I want a lot of verifiable information from state of the art sources before I add my allegiance. I do not automatically believe someone because of who they are, what they believe or just because they said so.

I am part HUMANIST
American Humanist - "Humanism is a progressive life stance, free of supernaturalism, which affirms our ability and responsibility to lead meaningful, ethical lives that add to the greater good of humanity."
Again, I am not sure about the "supernaturalism" part, because I allow for all possibilities. Again, I want verifiable evidences.

I like a some Buddhist notions also - not specified here.

I like the universal concept of "Love One Another" no matter where it is found!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 08:39PM

I'm allowing for a minute possibility. I have a Buddha shrine in my living room to remind me of principles that have actually helped me be happier here, and that for me is the point.

Today, a joyful today, whatever form that may take.

I feel comfortable in the Buddhist temples and the Hindu shrines because its WYSIWYG. They lay it all out there, good/bad/ugly and also, they don't really "care" if you join, don't join, attend, or not.

Blessed relief that is.

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 08:52PM

Pagan - I love the freedom that says that the entire world is to be celebrated. I can find divinity anywhere I look, and I can admire it and celebrate it how I choose.

No book dictating who I am or who I can be. I simply strive to do the best I can and be as kind as possible in my dealings with other people.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 08:56PM

I enjoy my time with friends and family, watching movies, playing board games, learning languages, reading books, and discovering more about the world. That's religion enough for me. :)

Tyson

Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 09:12PM

I just say "I believe in God and Christ, but I'm non-denominational.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 09:15PM

I took the kids to the Unitarian Universalist Church for seven years after we left so they'd have a nice humanist religious experience. I'm atheist on some days and agnostic on others. Depends on my mood.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 09:30PM

not so much that i needed religion, but i moved to a new city in Happy Valley East (the bible belt) and needed the community of like-minded people. So glad I have that community in this city of fundie nut jobs.

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 09:34PM

Pretty happy atheist. But if someone comes with a hint of evidence that there's some kind of invisible creature who cares about human beings, and has arranged an afterlife, I can stretch myself into being an agnostic. It would be so awesome if we could go on learning and seeing new things even after death. A human life is so short.

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 09:52PM

I'm still detoxing from Moronism. Maybe someday I will go to a church but so far I have no desire whatsoever. At this point I believe in science.

Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. Vreeland ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 10:28PM

Now prefer to call myself atheist. Most of the Buddhism still applies.

Posted by: Ollie ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 10:56PM

I'm a fundamentalist atheist, meaning that I emphatically disbelieve in any supernatural being intervening in the affairs of this planet.

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 10:58PM

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 11:25PM

I want to see my deceased husband again somehow somewhere someday............
But I'm not convinced it will happen.

K

Posted by: nw gal ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 11:39PM

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 12:11AM

I've been saying I'm atheist, but lately I think I prefer "secular humanist." It says more about what I do believe than what I don't.

Posted by: battlebruise ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 01:45AM

The LDS church turned me off of organized religion forever. Churches exist so people can be controled easily and is a vehicle to make money. The LDS church is a prime example of taking nobodies and making them feel important by giving them the "priesthood". Today I read and study ancient history both secular and religious, to find out WHY people believe what we believe. I think all of the religions of the world came from a root source. Wouldn't it be interesting to find out what that "source" was? Finding that answer is my religion today.

Posted by: rallychild ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 01:58AM

I'm still going through some major detoxing of the LDS church, but with all the studying and practicing of logic and reason due to reading a researching philosophy, I would say I am Agnostic at this point. I simply DO NOT KNOW. And I am comfortable with that. I am comfortable knowing that I can make my life whatever I want it to be, and I am starting to make "religion" a subjective thing, based on what I know and what I enjoy. Just the thought of organized religion does not seem attractive to me at this point. I don't need something to control my life; I am in control of my own life.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.