Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 10:48AM

I thought all of the creeds were corrupt!

Jeff Lindsay would have you believe that JS was just hanging out for something to do. Really? When he had received a commission directly from Deity & Son? When God and JC had told him that

"I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: "they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof."

"He again forbade me to join with any of them;"

Notice that there are TWO divine admonitions not to "join with any of them".

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 10:54AM

They don't know.

I didn't and I had been a member for 30 years - a BYU grad - a missionary. I should have been thoroughly versed in the basics of the religion but I was too busy to really research and they don't tell you. That's a fact you have to dig for. And no one has time to dig and often no one has any motivation to research the church. After all, the prophet will never lead you astray...right? So why question what they teach you? They are teaching you the most important stuff you need to know. You have faith in that and you are so busy proving your faith there is no time.

So a lot of times, when people ask questions like yours "What do Mormons say about this historical fact or other historical facts?" the answer is that they don't say anything because they've never heard about them. And if you tell them, chances are they will automatically say it's an anti-Mormon lie.

Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 10:58AM

dismissed by the wave of a hand.

If Orwell had only lived to write about the Mormons.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 11:02AM

"And no one has time to dig and often no one has any motivation to research the church."

One of the reasons people stay hooked is busywork and don't read "anti" literature. Wow. It's so orchestrated, it's disgusting.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 10:56AM

He was spying and proselyting.

Ron

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 10:59AM

More hot chicks than the presbyterians.......

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 11:05AM

Ahahahahahaha! How true! :snort:

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 12:08PM

Records show that in June of 1828, Joseph Smith applied for membership in his wife's Methodist Church. He also joined Methodist classes taught there. (The Amboy Journal, Amboy, IL, details Smith's activity in the Methodist Church in 1828. April 30, 1879 p. 1; May 21, 1879 p.1; June 11, 1879, p.1; July 2, 1879 p.1.)

It's explained like we explain anything a man does for his woman: He was thinking with his little head.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 12:13PM

Also, this event is acknowledged by LDS historian Richard L. Bushman, who referred to Smith's involvement with the Methodists in his book Joseph Smith and the Beginnings of Mormonism, University of Illinois Press, 1984, pp. 54, 94-95.

I do not know if it is in Rough Stone Rolling. Anyone?

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 04:43PM

Rough Stone Rolling.

I checked all of the index references to Methodist and skimmed ch.'s 2 & 3.

Posted by: rgg ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 12:18PM

I am convinced that TBMs will believe anything and are in such severe denial that they can't see the forest from the trees.

My TBM family are highly educated (PHDs and scientists) yet, they fall for this stuff hook, line and sinker.

I had hope for my niece who up until recently, was a very independent woman with a successful career. She turned down three marriage proposals from the same TBM and finally accepted. I thought for sure that when she went to the temple that she would run as fast as she could away from that cult but alas, the last I heard she’s gone back a few times already!

There is no hope for those people.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 12:43PM

I've been told by TBMs that he didn't join, he just sat in on some classes. He was trying to study and learn about God. No harm in that, right?

Actually, he was rejected by the Methodists:

"I, with Joshua McKune, a local preacher at that time, I think in June, 1828, heard on Saturday, that Joe Smith had joined the church on Wednesday afternoon, (as it was customary in those days to have circuit preaching at my father's house on week-day). We thought it was a disgrace to the church to have a practicing necromancer, a dealer in enchantments and bleeding ghosts, in it. So on Sunday we went to father's, the place of meeting that day, and got there in season to see Smith and talked with him some time in father's shop before the meeting. Told him that his occupation, habits, and moral character were at variance with the discipline, that his name would be a disgrace to the church, that there should have been recantation, confession and at least promised reformation-. That he could that day publicly ask that his name be stricken from the class book, or stand an investigation. He chose the former, and did that very day make the request that his name be taken off the class book." (The Amboy Journal, June 11, 1879, p.1).

http://www.utlm.org/onlineresources/josephsmithmethodist.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2011 12:43PM by Heresy.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 02:28PM

Actually, according to some Mormons, you can't believe the report. Notice that it's ONLY reported in the Amboy Journal, many years later, and the story quotes cousins of Emma, who were obviously anti-Mormon and would make up anything to slander the Prophet.

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 02:32PM

One school of thought claims that his bother, I think it was Alvin, was the one who had the visions and then up and died. Supposedly the dates fit better that way.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 02:36PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2011 08:56PM by nomo.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 03:23PM

Lather, rinse, repeat as needed.

One more thing to just brush under the rug. Boy, the lump under the rug is awfully big - in fact, that poor little rug is sitting sadly way up high on top of a huge pile of Hinckley-esque "flecks".

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 04:49PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2011 04:54PM by kimball.

Posted by: transplant in texas ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 04:55PM

the very God that he claimed to have seen earlier...how's that work??

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.