Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 12:59PM

Yesterday, a friend was over for most of the day. At one point, the conversation turned to underwear (that happens when you've been talking for over 3 hours) and I dug out my sack of garments to show her. She was so intrigued and couldn't believe that I used to wear them. I pointed out the stitching on the breast, navel and knee and explained what they meant. She said, "Oh. My, Gooooooddddd." I told her about the temple clothes and she finally got why I hate thinking about my wedding ceremony. Then, she made me promise that I'll renew my vows in a pretty dress.

I, on the other hand, had a very physical reaction to touching them and holding them up. I felt sick all over, light-headed and my skin felt like it was crawling.

Several times I've thought to get rid of them, but never have. It still feels wrong to just throw them in the trash. Talk about conditioning!! As I was showing them to my friend yesterday, it hit me once again what a fucked up cult I was in. I've decided to keep that bag of mormon underwear and someday I'm going to show them to my boys. I'm going to show them to anyone who wants to see them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 01:04PM

I would've kept a least 1 pair after leaving for the same reason I still keep my BoM and a few other materials- If someone has questions or desires proof of how weird Mormonism is, I would like to keep it on hand.

People need to see what a bizarre cult requires from its members.

Date: November 09, 2011 01:11PM

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 02:09PM

Would you mail me a pair? :D
I would totally pay you shipping and sentimental costs. Did we email briefly recently, or was that someone else?
4presto@gmail

Posted by: NevermoDoc ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 04:54PM

If you have any interest in getting rid of anymore I am interested as well. mlrobb@arvig.net

Posted by: caitieq ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 06:55PM

I don't know if it is weird to add my name to this list but I would so do it. :)

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 01:07PM

And I've kept my super special scriptures as well.

I also kept my temple clothing too.

Maybe one halloween, I'll be a ninja with the preisthood packet on.

Date: November 09, 2011 01:10PM

LOL. I'm thinking bad thoughts right now... hahahahha...

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 02:03PM

Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 03:19PM

LMAO, that's f'ing hilarious!! Please, make sure you take a picture of Temple Ninja for us if ever you do :D

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 01:07PM

Build a nice fire outside, observing all necessary fire regulations of course, and then throw them on! You don't even need to touch them - use tongs, it would be safer anyway. Be sure to invite your friend to join you, as such things are usually more fun in company.

Or keep them . . . but it's a thought!

Date: November 09, 2011 01:09PM

I could keep one pair and burn the rest!

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 01:18PM

Generally, they're things like habits or unpleasant behaviors one doesn't like in oneself, written on a piece of paper, then tossed in the fire. But regulation ugly undies would cause a conflagration. They might stink a bit, but it would be over quickly! A cremation of sorts!

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 02:11PM

There was a time when I would've felt a lot like you Queenie, but I never had such extreme emotions re: garments. Maybe it's because I wasn't born into the cult and brainwashed from the beginning. I still vaguely remember the brief lecture in the temple about not letting them touch the ground because they're sacred, wear them (almost) all the time, blah blah blah. But I was never really down with that. The g's were on the ground when I did laundry, I didn't always wear them every day 24/7. The bottoms are worthless when you've got your period, and I didn't wear the tops when I was nursing because it was a constant pain in the ass to deal with them. And I used to sing and perform in shows quite a bit, and you do NOT wear Gs when you're in a crowded dressing room, or your dresser is helping you with a 30 second costume change in the wings! Now I just look at those ungainly, awkward, ugly pathetic pieces of shoddy material and shrug (on the rare occasions when I still come across a pair down in the bottom of the dresser).

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 02:18PM

TBM / weird reaction: “I’m special! :-) I have earned the right to wear this sacred underwear!”

Nevermo / normal reaction: "Oh. My, Gooooooddddd."

(QoD's friend: Normal.)

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 02:22PM

Looking at those things now seems surreal. I threw all of mine out a couple years ago. Isn't it stange how normal they seemed while TBM, but now the shout "fucked up cult!"

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 02:27PM

Well, if you ever get the urge to return, just put them back on and your troubles will be solved. Just saying.....

Posted by: jolene ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 02:35PM

The other night, for the first time ever, I wished I would have kept 1 pair. I had the best idea to play a trick on my DH. He was coming home late and I was in bed already. I thought it would be hilarious to be wearing them in bed when he got home. He probably would have thought he was in the wrong house. LOL!

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 02:41PM

They're excellent for cleaning hardwood floors. The marks really get into the grooves between the planks.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 02:47PM

I will wear them with my pregnant polygamist costume next Hallowe'en.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 03:16PM

Ew. Just touching that "shoddy" material made me feel queasy, too.

"I felt sick all over, light-headed and my skin felt like it was crawling." That's how I felt in the temple, too.

I think we should always listen to our own gut-felings. It is like listening to our heart. Our innate fight-or-fight reaction kicks in when we sense we are in danger. Humans are like dogs, and when something is weird, we want to escape from it. Try putting on those garments, and raising your arms in the air, and chanting "Pay-lay-ale" in front of your dog! I did, and it freaked her out. Garment-aversion is instinctual!

Ew. Ew. I get flashbacks to washing my ex-husband's dirty wife-beater D&C132 Mormon underwear. Oh, the horror. I could not celebrate underwear in any way, and I threw mine in the garbage with the coffee grounds and banana peelings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2011 03:16PM by forestpal.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 03:34PM

PZ Myers would love to have some extra special sacred-as-sh*t mormon undergarments.

Here are his blog URLs:http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/

Here's one of his past blogs (one of many) about mormonism:
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2009/10/the_mormon_leadership_demonstr.php

Here's his email address:pzmyers@gmail.com

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 04:59PM

(I did it years after leaving the morg.) She didn't like me getting baptized, even without knowing anything about the church. OMG if she had ever seen the garments and other temple garb, when I was a member!

I'm glad I have the stuff, just to show to people who think the morg isn't so dangerous, that it really and truly is a cult.

When you show them the stuff, you don't even have to explain that much. They can see for themselves.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 01:41AM

You should throw away at least one pair though. I agree with keeping some to educate the public and sharing with others so they can do the same. But throwing a pair, markings and all in the garbage is really liberating and freeing. Although some of mine ended up as dust rags - they really do work beautifully for that too.

Posted by: runningyogi ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 01:59AM

White Shirts and Garments no more near me! Life is good.

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 10:54AM

When I threw mine out, I honestly thought about doing it "properly"... You know, cutting out the marks... What the hell??

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.