Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 02:24PM

I hadn't heard anything aobut this test , or sign of the times from any of my former ward members. Kinda thought I would

Back in the early 60's we were still having air raid drills.

I failed air raid drill tho, they kept sending me out the door opposite where I lived and I was directionaly dyslexic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: familyfirst ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 02:43PM

We always have had local area emergency test but this is the first time I have seen a nationwide emergency test and it was advertised that it was going to happen 24 hours in advance, at least.

Strange.

I remember the air raid drills, in school and at home as well.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 02:57PM

This is the first time I've seen a nationwide emergency test, but it was advertised. The only thing I really remember as a child was earthquake drills in school, as the air raid drills were being phased out by the time I was in school. There are still a couple of rusty sirens around, but they haven't been used in at least 25 years or so. The reason for those earthquake drills was that this was in California.

The funny thing about all those earthquake drills was that when I was in the 7th grade, we had an aftershock from a previous earthquake a year earlier hit during my math class. The teacher didn't feel anything, so he thought it was a class prank since we did what we had been taught since kindergarten which was to get under our desks. The next day, he did apologize for his reaction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2011 02:58PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 03:15PM

In high school, I had a dayglow poster that went something like this:

In an event of a nuclear emergency:

1. Remove all metals from your pockets.
2. Remove your belt.
3. Remove your shoes.
4. Sit under a desk or table.
5. Lock your fingers behind your head.
6. Put your head between your knees, and

KISS YOUR ASS GOODBYE!

Just sayin'...

Ron

PS: From the same manufacturer, I had those two vultures in that burned out tree and vaste wasteland in the background with one saying to the other: "Fuck this! I'm going to kill something!".

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 03:22PM

Now, I had the TV on then and a radio on in another room and I saw or heard nothing. Did I miss something? When the local Emergency Alert System tests or goes off for a real alert it could wake the dead.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 05:35PM

Gees I totally forgot about this although I'd seen ads for it for about a week or so.

Posted by: nl_gigantor ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 10:53PM

Every month here, first of the month, we have the sirens go off. But it's more for the flooding warning, which is understandable given the Netherlands.

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 11:53PM

Back home ( Illinois,USA) we have the tornado sirens tested every month from April to October.

No on I've talked to noticed anything on the TV or radio...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.