Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: serena ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 02:56PM

That's so messed up. What do they do, walk up and tell you not to pray? "Fuck off, bitch, I'll pray if I want to. After what I just went through, I think I'm entitled!"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 03:00PM

No. They don't want you to hang out there because there's another group of morgbots just behind you coming through the veil from another ordinance chambre. So, "move along people, we're busy here!" is the mantra.

At least that was my experience.

Ron

Date: November 09, 2011 03:06PM

No time for personal prayer, or really any prayer at all, unless you count chanting Oh God hear the words (I pulled out of my ass) of my mouth (not my nose, my mouth).

And please, what's this about "... inasmuch as you have inquired of my hand to know and understand wherein I, the Lord ..." of his hand? Huh? There's a lot of this kind of language. It maketh no sense.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 03:10PM

Hold to the rod, Sister, hold to the rod! WTF? I hear ya.

Ron

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 03:10PM

You remember as a kid when you'd be playing and decide to talk like Robin Hood ( or even better, Thor )?

WE made more sense than some of the stuff you hear in the temple.

Date: November 09, 2011 03:20PM

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 03:29PM

You people have me laughing out loud at work! Yes! The temple language reminded me of something, and now I know what! We used to talk like the Knights of Yore, "Unhand that fair maiden, and returneth from thither I bespoke!" Actually, the whole Book of Mormon reads like that. LOL!

Before going to the temple, I was told that the celestial room was very beautiful, and that after I passed through the veil, my loved ones would be there to greet me, and we could be reunited as in Heaven, and we could ponder in our hearts the wondrous new things we had just learned....

In the celestial room, I was the last one in, and my family was waiting to greet me. They were standing, huddled by the exit, as the matrons were trying to shoo them out. They looked distressed, and the first thing they said to me was, "We managed to wait here all this time to greet you, but we have been here too long, uh-oh, we really need to leave, there are other people coming through, no, don't sit down, we really shouldn't be talking...." All the while, the matrons were shushing us and scolding us. NOT a spiritual atmosphere at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2011 03:30PM by forestpal.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 03:35PM

When I used to frequent the International House of Handshakes I would sit on one of the little couches in the Celestial Room and cross my legs lotus-style and close my eyes and meditate.

I didn't pray because I felt like if I was in the celestial room the veil was supposed to be thin and if I quieted my mind I would get some new-fangled revelation that would rock my kolobian world. (Surprisingly that never happened. Weird..)

Anyway, one time I was really deep into it and I felt a nudge on my shoulder and when I opened my eyes it was one of those wrinkly matrons looking at me with a holier-than-thou look and she said, "the temple is very busy today" or something like that.

So instead of saying anything I just stared at her as if I was waiting for her to finish her thought. When she didn't say anything else I just closed my eyes and went back about my business.

Nobody else bothered me that day. But yes, they absolutely discourage you from spending more than 5 minutes in the victorian hotel lobby.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 04:25PM

Didn't you notice. Elohim is there. No need to pray. Silly people. He and Jehovah Christ walk the halls of the temple.

Pay Lay Ale

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 05:55PM

True. If you try to spend more than a few minutes in there, reflecting, they quietly remind you to move along.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 06:09PM

Ya know, that is the weird thing about going to the temple- you are in awe and feel so spiritual outside on the beautiful peaceful grounds, but that disappears as soon as you go inside.

When you go inside that feeling is replaced with the sense of urgency- gotta get to the next session on time, gotta do this gotta do that, gee I sure hope I can remember the words at the veil without prompts, okay...I gotta be back to the lockerroom to get out of my robes in time for the next session, so I'll sit in the CK room for a minute or two as expected. Okay, that will do. Now off to the locker room.

Truly, the only places to pray or to seek the spirit are on the grounds before and after, in the lockerroom as you contemplate what has transpired, and in the chapel while you wait.

Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 06:29PM

room. I did and was not chased out by anyone serving there.

The only requirement was that I (and others) were required to participate in one session prior to lingering and praying in the celestial room.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 06:29PM

I always felt weird taking a poop in the Temple. I wonder if anyone ever had sex with someone else or themselves in the temple. I know of a case where two men started kissing during the endowment. Needless to say they dismissed.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 07:05PM

I think it probably depends on which temple and how busy it is. Not a "commandment"

Date: November 09, 2011 07:07PM

You're lucky you got to do that Sandie. I never experienced anything but being rushed out before the next group filed in from their session.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 07:16PM

And that was in the morning, in the middle of the week. You could've fired a cannon through that temple and probably not hit anyone.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 07:18PM

We always took our kids for the first time during the week when there were maybe 6 people in the whole temple. We would be alone with them in the celestial seasonings room, except for the preserved lady in the corner digging in her nose (I kid you not). Nice if they could serve coffee. That would work - serve coffee and donuts - increase numbers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2011 07:19PM by Joe Laban.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 08:26PM

You've all known people like that - if fasting 2 meals is good, 3 is better, if once a month is good, once a week is way better ...

If you get two of those idiots in the celestial room at the same time, they'd rather die from excessive religiosity rather than leave before the other person.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 08:44PM

Hubby and I were sitting quietly on a couch, minding our own business. Since the temple is the only place you were supposed to talk about the temple, we were going over all the memorized stuff by whispering into each other's ear.

Some old bat was watching us from the wings. She could tell we were going over the ceremony. She came and told us to stop and move along.

I think when the next session of cattle comes into the room, it is not as inspiring and showy as it is when it is empty. The last thing you want is for a new initiate to come through the veil and see some old geezer siting there picking his teeth.

Posted by: cl2 (why am I not logged in?) ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 08:47PM

about my life situation--and no leader had yet given me a GOOD answer for "gay"--I was just so sure I would find my answers in the temple. I LONGED to be able to meditate in the celestial room.

The few times I got to the celestial room, I was never even allowed to sit down. I'd go through that stupid session because I wanted to meditate in the celestial room. I did that 4 or 5 times and never went back.

I have said before--I found more peace sitting in the foyer after I got done with sealings and waiting for my husband. The spirit must have been strong enough to convince me to never go back--and I didn't.

Date: November 09, 2011 09:23PM

That's the annoying part. When I was younger, the nearest temple was a 12-16 hour drive (depending on how many times you stopped along the way).

You'd go all that way, then go through those few hours of a session, to finally be able to just sit and relax in the Celestial Room, only to be hustled out as quickly as possible. It was so annoying.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 09:37PM

I like to pop into Catholic churches - you know, the old California historical types. Funny how I can "feel the spirit" there. And it doesn't cost me 10% of my money, and nobody pushes me out, (and of course, I'm not dressed stupidly.)

Or.. I can get the same feeling out in nature somewhere.

I retrospect, I found the temple celestial room experience to be tacky at best. There, I said it, "the emperor has no clothes."

Posted by: Hillbilly Heathen ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 10:33PM

One of the instances involved a couple who were good friends of mine, and were going through some difficult times. They were praying together and were asked to move along... I thought it was an incredibly cold thing to do to them...

From what I saw and heard about, Columbus was (is?) really bad about moving you through fast. Washington DC ranks up there, too...

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 11:27PM

I mean, the "bum's rush"? The second you finally hit the Celestial Room?

The Celestial Room was supposed to be the grand culmination. I mean, I had covenanted with the lord! Although that wasn't as good as I thought it would be either. I would only give him a 4 out of 10 at best. I was better even on my first time.

Still, I couldn't believe I was just ushered right out like I was in some diner that needed to turn tables.

Looking back, it really was the perfect ending. Says it all.

Posted by: tawanda2011 ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 11:30PM

I'd love one more visit to the temple. We sacrificed so much to get there and were so disappointed, even beguiled that the evil one would make us so unworthy that we were unable to understand the importance. All we felt was a longing to pray and study more, lest we never grasp the rod and cling to the word. We also felt a big wad of underwear up our asses and lest we pull the wad out we would become chafed. What a joke that place was and to think, we promised to have our throat slit, our heart ripped out and to be disemboweled if we told anyone the details. OMG, we were into the crazy zone during those years. Well, anyway Pay Lay Ale to you and good night.

Posted by: motherwhoknows ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 03:08AM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 11:42PM

Relax;
I heard they're going to Quit the WHOLE TEMPLE THINGEE...

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 12:52AM

I thought the Celestial Room was the main attraction. You would think they would at least let you linger longer.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 01:45AM

at minimum some kiddie fireworks. sparklers, something. Thats It? a living room with a chandelier?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.