Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Just Thinking ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 06:08PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 06:40PM

It would be fantastic if this were a christian nation. I could commit any crime I wanted because as soon as the police showed up I could say "jesus died for that crime" and they'd have to let me go.

Not that there would be any clear laws anyway. Anytime someone tried to nail down an actual rule there would be an uproar and a resounding "the law has been fulfilled!" and everyone would loosely follow their own interpretation of what think they would be ok with "having someone else do to them" in order to justify how they treat other people.

If by some miracle I was dragged into court I could appeal to have only a jury of my peers who have never broken the speed limit or jaywalked hear my case.

If they found some and I were found guilty I could stop the judge from sentencing me by saying "judge not, lest ye be judged.?

And I would sue everyone for evrything they have since jesus commanded people not to dispute any claims.

Yeah, i wish it were a christian nation. But the founding fathers weren't stupid.

Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 01:13AM

Awesome -- couldn't agree more!

Posted by: Former Good Girl ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 09:16PM

UGH, nothing makes me more crazy than the idea of America as a Christian nation!! America did not have a unified religion or a sense of religious tolerance in much of it's founding. Yes, Puritan Massachusetts was founding for religious freedom, for the Puritans! They killed Quakers! Virginia was for profit and Anglicans. Maryland allowed tolerance and RI was founded by people who couldn't stand the Puritans (imagine!). Now, 100 years later most of the Founding Fathers were deists! That is QUITE different from Christians (and BTW a philosophy that works for me!). Because of the religious diversity in the colonies many insisted on the First Amendment. Yes, Christianity was a big influence, but so were so many other intellectual movements. Additionally, these guys weren't perfect. I mean they wrote a Constitution that defined a group of people as 3/5 of a person! Yeah, that's a perfect document, whatever.....

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 01:38AM

So let me get this straight:

Mormons are NOT Christian, despite the fact that they profess a belief in Jesus, even have the word "Christ" in their name because they don't mention the name quite enough. BUT America IS Christian, despite the fact that the constitution is explicitly secular.

Got it.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 02:41AM

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 10:50AM

I have long ago steered away from this particular debate, personally much preferring to simply place Mormons outside "orthodoxy". I think this is underlined by the fact that an orthodox Christian would not feel comfortable worshiping in a Mormon Sacrament Meeting if he found himself in a place where that was all that was available. Similarly, a Mormon probably would not be comfortable worshiping in an orthodox Christian church. The divide is wide such that the fellowship of believers cannot take place across it.

Posted by: Helemon ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 11:14AM

Be very afraid of any group of people who want to associate our government with a particular religion. It is one short step away from theocracy. It is an attempt at a power grab by people who want to be able to force their views on others.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.