Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonforthis! ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 02:58AM

sorry for the off topic question!!

so im 18 and still a virgin, because of my lds upbringing... i have a boyfriend and i want to have sex but i dont even know where to start with birth control. i cannot afford to get pregnant!!

what method of bc do you use and how effective was/is it? would condoms and the pill be ok? ive heard a lot of women getting pregnant even with those two and wonder how common that is?

i cant ask my parents for any help since theyre anti-sex until i get married, which i will not follow through with by any means!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 03:01AM

You AND boyfriend should consider a visit to planned parenthood. They can give you the info and stats you are asking about.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 04:53AM

+1 There is plenty of free, professional advice available. This is not the best place for that question. PP is a fantastic service.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 05:18PM

+1. too!

Posted by: mormonimposter ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 05:25AM

Like mia said, go to a Planned Parenthood. Do a search for their website to find one close to you, and while you're on there you can bookmark the section about types of birth control and their effectiveness for future reference.

Birth control works well (usually in the 90-99% effectiveness range) unless you aren't consistent with it (such as forgetting pills, sporadic condom use). If you want to be as careful as possible, go to a Planned Parenthood and someone will help you figure out what birth control method(s) will work for you, and if you're able to safely (or should) use multiple types (ie using birth control pills/patches/shots and condoms).

BTW, if your income is low enough, Planned Parenthood can help you get birth control pills at reduced rates, and I believe they still offer free condoms. Make an appointment or just walk in when they're open and you'll find they can be very helpful with all of this.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 05:34AM

No judgment, just information and real help.

They will out line all methods available and how effective each method will be, a doctor will see you if needed and you can figure out what kind of method is bet for you.

Please consder over the counter drug store barrier method, like condoms along with spermicidal barrier if you have sex before getting to Planned Parenthood.

Condoms cover the man's penis during sexual intercourse and collect semen before, during, and after he ejaculates. This contraceptive device prevents sperm from entering the vagina. Condoms can be made of latex, polyurethane (plastic), natural membrane (lambskin), or polyisoprene (non latex natural rubber)). They are available dry or lubricated. This is also one of the few birth control methods that can help protect against sexually transmitted infections. If condoms are used with a spermicide (foam, cream, jelly, suppository, or film), even greater protection against pregnancy is possible.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 08:36AM

Go to Planned Parenthood, or if you are in college, your college health clinic. Both would be happy to help you. If you can tolerate the pill, and would be reliable about taking it, that would be my recommendation. It is highly effective.

Here is a chart from Planned Parenthood that will give you some idea (but don't let it be your only resource.)

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/birth-control-effectiveness-chart-22710.htm

If you are educated about birth control, and use a highly effective method consistently, your chances of getting pregnant are very low indeed. Good luck!

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 07:27AM

If you are not married and not willing to bring god's spirit children into the world, then you should not be having sex.

Oops! Was channeling my father there.

Sorry - yes, PP is the best. Be prepared, every time. Don't know how many pregnant youth I have heard say something like, "It just happened." Don't be a statistic.

Best wishes!

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 12:26PM

Planned Parenthood, or a local sliding-scale-cost clinic will hook you right up and answer all of your questions properly.

Nobody of any medical integrity at all will prescribe BC pills or any other method without first giving you a pelvic exam and pap smear. You will also be tested for pregnancy even if you tell them you're a virgin. The reason for that is, A) as Dr. House says, everybody lies, and B) some birth control methods can cause horrible birth defects if you get pregnant. So they need to make 100% positively sure that you are not before they let you start taking anything.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 12:46PM

I used mainly condoms at your age, then switched to the pill when I was in a monogamous relationship. Both work well, as long as you follow the directions. I didn't get pregant while on either and both for almost a decade. Currently, I use condoms because I have borderline blood pressure. I also advise women to have Plan B on hand (the after morning pill, NOT the same thing as RU-486) in case the condom breaks. That has been a lifesaver for me more than once.
I've heard Depo works pretty well, but some women gain weight from it.

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 12:56PM

When asking about BC pills, I would recommend asking them about trying the low-dose versions.

When I first started taking the regular pill I was a hormonal mess (picture crying during life insurance commercials...) But on the low-dose versions it's not as much of a swing.

(I also set an alarm on my phone so I remember to take it at the same time, every day)

I applaud you for thinking about this before taking your relationship to the next level, instead of once it's too late like too many of my high school friends...

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 01:51PM

My problem with the birth-control pills, even the low-dose ones, was that I would become depressed just three months after being on them, so I had to take antidepressents as well, along with using condoms on the guy.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 02:18PM

and left it at that.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 04:24PM

The only thing I want to warn you about anything containing spermacide, is you run a chance of developing a very painful UTI. I was getting them for a year and didn't realize the whol freaking time it was the nonoxynol 9 on Trojans that was causing them. This goes for the vaginal film spermacide, the cream/gel used on diapragms and cervical cap, and also the suppositories.

But if you can use it without problems, yay for you! :)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 04:27PM

Nonoxynol 9 can also cause really bad inflammation of the cervix. It's reversable but painful for a few days. If it works for any particular woman, great, but it doesn't work for everyone.

Date: November 10, 2011 06:00PM

Date: November 10, 2011 06:05PM

very low dose.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 01:02PM

if PP isn't an option, ask yr family doc if s/he will see you on a CONFIDENTIAL basis; most will.

Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 01:12PM

As a dad of 5 girls, 3 of whom are teens, this is a subject I am constantly aware of. I applaud you for your insight and wisdom in trying to empower yourself - so that you are in control. I don't need to remind you, because you already know this, by virtue of your post - having a baby at your age really can inhibit your ability to optimize your academic/career potential. Finishing school is of paramount importance and priority. Whatever you do - don't fall to the temptation of "just one time" before actually getting the BC. Don't let him talk you into it. Don't get caught up in the passion. Good luck.

Date: November 10, 2011 02:21PM

and get condoms/spermicide/sponge whatever combination you want.

You don't need to go to the doctor first. But you do need to take responsibility to protect yourself.

Posted by: eldorado ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 01:40PM

No matter what type of Birth Control you go on, always have your partner ware a condom.

Date: November 10, 2011 02:14PM

pregnancy prevention -- perhaps even more so.

Date: November 10, 2011 02:13PM

but later used the pill.
The sponge is full of spermicide which also kills alot of other bad stuff.

Remember if you use the pill it is not effective whenever you are taking antibiotics or some other things.
Talk to PP!

Posted by: Nikki ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 02:17PM

Another plug for Planned Parenthood!! They are always so helpful and non-judgmental. The sliding scale fee will help you out. Your body will react differently to certain hormones, they will help you pick the best option for you- they helped me when my own doctor was useless in that department. Never forget to use a backup! :)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 02:34PM

If one fails, the other can still provide protection.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 04:29PM

All this talk about sponges made me thing of Elaine's problem, which was-- Was the guy sponge-worthy?!

Seinfeld?

Posted by: angeybabey ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 05:15PM

Just remember to leave a little room at the front of the condom for the sperm to go into, otherwise the condom will break! It may sound like too much information, but it's very important information!

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 04:31PM

Even on low-dose birth control pills I got extremely nauseous. I got used to them after a few months though. It was always the first week in the pack of pills that made me sick. I was on the pill for four years and never got pregnant.

Posted by: anonforthis! ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 04:38PM

thank you so much for all of your advice!! :) i think ill just go to planned parenthood or my school health center. i dont have any money at the moment so hopefully theres something for low income or a students reduced fee? im reallt hoping the cervical exam doesnt cost too much! so much effort for something so small!! i really want to be safe than sorry though. thanks again!

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 04:45PM

The key to having sex without getting pregnant is information, and you'll get plenty from those two sources. Good for you for approaching sex with maturity and responsibility.

Posted by: driving ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 05:46PM

Your parents have done something right. They have raised a responsible kid. You have tons of people here to help you. Good you are in love and really want to be a responsible adult.

So proud of you!
I am a mom...and I sound like one!

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 05:49PM

Huh. I would have suggested that you try out the non-coitus things first. See where all the buttons and switches are... but that's just me.

Ron

Posted by: BadGirls ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 05:55PM

You can have all kinds of great sex without coitus.
This way prevents pregnancy, but still won't prevent disease...
So... get tested first!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.