Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 09:35AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2011 09:37AM by derrida.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: November 11, 2011 09:36AM

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 09:50AM

I haven't seen the faith of anyone mentioned in the news accounts here but it's doubtful. Why do you ask?

Date: November 11, 2011 11:52AM

B/c there are at least nine Penn State related threads on this board with posts from within the last two days. The case certainly merits interest and concern, but I wondered if there was a Mormon connection given the level of interest here on this recovery from Mormonism board.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 09:59AM

Paterno and some of the others named are Catholics, but that hasn't been mentioned in the news in relation to this story, that I know of.

Someone just informed me that less than 1/2 of 1% of Pennsylvania is Mormon; that number is perhaps overinflated, if it comes from momo land, vs a state or federal agency.

Have you heard something?

Date: November 11, 2011 11:36AM

No I have not heard anything. I just wondered b/c the case is garnering a lot of attention on this Recovery From MORMONISM board, more than one or two threads. Benson even chimed in with a lengthy and informative post about the topic.

There have been sexual abuse scandals involving Mormon Bishops, LDS scout troops, or stake presidents, and those cases will rarely generate more than a thread or two on this board. So the level of interest in the Penn State case on this recovery from Mormonism board struck me as unusual. I started to read more about the case to see if there was a church angle, but couldn't find one.

Maybe exmos are particularly fascinated by or sensitive to cases involving the sexual abuse of children by men held in high esteem and who have authority in a community. A lot of exmos have suffered a range of abuses from the church or church members: sexual abuse of children, sexual abuse by a spouse, violence by a Mormon spouse who is defended by LDS church leaders, PTSD (see Raptor Jesus's recent post on that). Certainly a lot of exmos have experienced shunning by Mormon "friends" and family; a lot of marriages and family relationships end in the church when one spouse or parent or child decides the church is not what it claims to be. And a lot of people experience that as trauma, and hence end up here for months or years posting about the experience. But I digress....

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 07:07PM

and Mormons are not going to be commenting at all, they are busy shushing their own victims and paying settlements.

Anagrammy

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 02:05PM

Mormons are nearly nonexistent in PA. I am from there originally and there are many many religious folks there but few dumb enough to join the Morg. I feel sorry for mishies who go there. MANY people will shoot them down with all the false things they proclaim as Gospel. The biggest compliment I ever heard there aobut Mormons is "They seem like nice clean cut boys." My aunt was one who said that and I didn't have the nerve to go into it with a lady who was 89 at the time.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 10:56AM

Date: November 11, 2011 11:37AM

Yes.

Posted by: Athena ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 12:11PM

The questions might be because the Second Mile charity, founded by Sandusky, is named for a Mormon principle that a lot of us learned in Mormon sunday school. It's something taught to children. I also wondered if there was a Mormon connection because of the name of the charity.

Date: November 11, 2011 12:16PM

I'm not BIC, thank god, so maybe that is why I have never heard of The Second Mile principle. When was that taught in primary and wtf does it mean?

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 12:18PM

It's a parable from the New Testament and I'm happy to say that I can't remember the details!!!

Recovery is great!!!

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 12, 2011 01:33PM

Jesus said if someone demands that you carry his back for a mile then you should carry it for two. Roman soldiers often demanded that civilians s do this.This wasin the same place as turning the other cheek.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 12:30PM

so many threads and posts about the subject at hand. this is an BIG story in the U.S. it involves a MAJOR sports figure and it is a scandalous affair. i mean this ex coach of Paterno brought CHILDREN in to a major University and had sex with them in the shower!!!
but as to the amount of threads..... you seem to not like the fact there are few threads and yet you start another one. do you see the irony?
as to whether or not it should be on this board.....
we have monitors that get to decide what stays here on the board.
just sayin!

Date: November 11, 2011 12:34PM

Yes I see the irony. And now I see the stupidity.

Date: November 11, 2011 12:43PM

i mean is that directed to me or what? :)

Date: November 11, 2011 01:34PM

are you deriding me? :)

Date: November 11, 2011 02:04PM

just wondering?!!! chu chen kep!!

Date: November 11, 2011 06:23PM

You mad bro?

Date: November 11, 2011 09:00PM

just how about ya speak to me like we are in the same room ok? Thank you! :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2011 09:03PM by bignevermo.

Date: November 11, 2011 02:14PM

WAITING!!

Posted by: familyfirst ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 03:28PM

Hmmm Let's see

Besides the Catholic Church and the Pope throwing the adults who were abused as children by priests under the bus to save their rotten institution...

We now see a University who stayed silent trying to protect itself and threw those young boys under the Sandusky bus in the process

Then we see people, college students, protesting against the firings, and actually tv journalists wondered about how that affected the victims and families of the victims

All for the love of an institution, for a corporation, for money, prestige, power, a place in the food chain that is not on the bottom...

I can see why people would relate to the story

Date: November 11, 2011 03:50PM

with the thought that this is RFM and why is this story is even on this phorum...... has been on other threads now posting away and yet has not been back to address at least my issue. so thanks for topping this although i expect that coward to stay away! i was in Catholic schools and Mass up until i was 14 and i was in many different churches...and not once was i approached by a priest for sex... damn i must be ugly!! :) nah...but the Catholic church coverups have been atrocious!! and so it seems this story is too sadly! those kids will have memories for a lifetime! issues for a lifetime! hopefully they will turn out ok!! :(

Date: November 11, 2011 06:52PM

(The book mentioned in the excerpt below might be of special interest to RFM readers. --Derrida.)

[Excerpt of an article from The Chronicle of Higher Education]:

November 11, 2011, 3:12 pm
By Tom Bartlett
Why didn’t somebody do something?

That’s the maddening question you ask yourself when you read the grand jury report that details the horrible crimes witnessed by Penn State employees and reported to superiors. No one intervened. No one held the perpetrator accountable. No one stopped the abuse, which then allegedly continued for years.

Presumably, the employees and their superiors all consider themselves ethical people. In many other situations, no doubt, they’ve conducted themselves honorably. And yet, judging by the evidence that’s been made public so far, they didn’t do the right thing when it counted most.

Why not?

A new book titled Blind Spots: Why We Fail To Do What’s Right and What to Do About It (Princeton University Press) offers some clues. In that book, the two authors, Max E. Bazerman and Ann E. Tenbrunsel, write about the child-abuse scandals of the Catholic Church, specifically about how Joseph Ratzinger, then a cardinal and now the pope, has been accused of helping to cover up the abuse. Part of the problem, they write, could be so-called motivated blindness.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: November 12, 2011 01:24PM

It puts people in some pretty difficult positions and often does a good exploration of why they behave or don't behave ethically in certain situations. We would all like to believe we would behave ethically in important situations, but unfortunately we sometimes don't for various reasons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2011 01:25PM by robertb.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 12, 2011 11:22AM

The Charlotte Observer is reporting today that there are allegations that Jerry Sandusky, representing Penn State as a recruiter, attended a football camp for Polynesian kids in Utah last year. Hopefully the Utah press will investigate this.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/11/12/2768363/sandusky-recruited-sc-prep-player.html

Posted by: What's in a name? ( )
Date: November 12, 2011 01:56PM

The only person involved that I can find a religion listed for is Graham Spanier. He is Jewish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Spanier

The other people involved have a high probability of being from Catholic families given their heritage that is listed for each of them on wikipedia.

There are good people and bad people in every religion. People will be people regardless.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.