Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 11:21AM

Leaving a cult usually involves a lengthy process. This means there are many non-TBMs still navigating the mormon system. Some of them leave and return repeadedly until they're ready to call it quits for good.

During this time, I suggest that they are entitled to any benefit they can reap from an organization that drains the life blood from members whenever it can.

The mormon church owes every one of us for what we gave them when we were paying free services, tithes and giving them lifpservice.

I'm glad if some transitioning exmos can enjoy a few Rice Crispy treats and pats on the back as they leave.

My advice to questioning mormons would be to never confess anything to anyone unless you want it twisted and publicly raked over the coals. If you have violated the WoW or the chasity code, its *your* business.

Also, back off from paying tithes. No one in the morg appreciates the sacrifice and too many exmos feel the financial loss for the rest of their lives. Save that money or pay bills with it.

Next, don't feel obligated to do everything you're told. Attend what suits you and accept callings only if they interest or fulfill you.

Finally, keep reading and thinking. Trust your own mind and look for your own conclusions. Be wary of pat answers or quetionable advice and pat answers.''

All good wishes in your journey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 11:59AM

Much like "bleeding the beast" that Mormons talk about doing to the federal government. Tit for tat. I like it.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 01:42PM

The church has no problem using you until their done with you. And they don't confess to anything.

Date: November 11, 2011 02:27PM

That's why anyone is fully justified in utilizing cult resources until they're able to regain the skills taken from them.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 04:17PM

Should these wafflers still keep their children in the cult, to continue with their brainwashing?

My biggest regret is not leaving the cult fast enough--before my children were abused.

For my oldest daughter, it was too late, and she married an RM in the temple. It is not a happy marriage. Now, my grandchildren are approaching baptism age....

I usually agree with you, Cheryl, but not this time.

Date: November 11, 2011 04:25PM

You didn't leave immediately and no one else can either. That's the way cult mind control works.

I left at a a very early age and NEVER for one istant involved children. So don't accuse me of that.

I'm tired of being blamed for acts I never committed.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 04:38PM

The process of disengaging from an emotionally intense experience can be abrupt or it can be gradual. My bet is that a gradual withdrawl, with some comings and goings, is probably more common than not.

There are no hard and fast rules, nor should there be. A rules-based mindset is the antithesis of a desired outcome.

I think that whenever and however people claim freedom for themselves, it's a good thing. Whether it's deciding that you won't accept a calling, won't clean the toilets, won't go on a mission, won't go to church on a particular Sunday, won't give a fig about VT/HT, or will no longer fork over ten percent of your income, it's all good. I think that it's right and proper when people start to wonder what a church has to offer them, as opposed to what they are forcibly compelled to give to a church.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 06:38PM

I liked this thread Cheryl. I split so fast when I realized the church was false that I probably looked like the Roadrunner being chased by the Wiley Coyote. I thought everyone should or would do that.

The complications of children, spouses, jobs, personal investment, and the feeling of loss are things I never had to deal with and I appreciate even more now what so many are going through. I really
have learned so much here at RFM.

I do lean towards getting the children out as quickly as you can though.

I just want to add my good wishes to yours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2011 06:39PM by blueorchid.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: November 12, 2011 11:08AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.