Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Thurn the Defenestrator ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 07:35PM

Is there anyone you know of in your life or in the world that you could call righteous?

How has the definition of the word you had as a TBM changed from the one you have now?

Is the concept of righteousness strictly religious, as opposed to, say, ethics or morality?

Is it an overly simple, archaic concept not practical in the real world?

Is it the gateway drug to self-righteousness?

Are you 1980’s righteous?

As a kid, I always associated the word with the first Nephi; how he never wavered from a task and was always ready to bitch you out if you didn’t meet his standards. He wasn’t even afraid to decapitate a sleeping dude if the proper authority signed off on it.

Later on my mission (Guatemala, Quetzaltenango 1996-98) I gradually became aware that the missionaries who most resembled this childhood hero of mine were total dicks. It’s no fun being Laman and Lemuel during a Zone Conference.

My definition evolved. I began to see the guys who were obedient, but weren’t in the Evil Brotherhood of Enemies of Fun, as the real righteous ones.

Typical of people leaving the church, I became disenchanted with blind obedience. So the only people left who I could still see as righteous were rebels and world changers; people with innovative ideas and fervent beliefs in causes that could save us from ourselves. I would sometimes, like, almost get inspired to, like, look up a web site to, like, get more information about maybe volunteering or something—whatever, I never did.

Now that I’m a cynical old man, I start seeing the tunnel vision, lack of tolerance for human shortcomings and all around prickliness that many do-gooders have—not all of course, just the self-righteous ones. But, that’s the point. Can you truly separate self-righteousness from the regular kind?

So what do all my sinners think? Has your definition of righteousness changed? Does anyone in the world qualify?

p.s. I wrote this because I was watching last night’s The Daily Show, where Jon Stewart chastised some of the rioters at Penn State for caring more about the football program than the violation of innocent boys.

He did it in a mocking and ironic manner, without bombast or grandstanding; yet, I thought I could see the real anger—nay, the moral outrage he felt that anyone, anywhere could have that reaction.

I suddenly remembered the feeling I had about Nephi as a kid, a strong champion of the weak, admonishing his brethren of their misplaced values and their uncaring ways.

This isn’t about anybody’s politics or anything. Just saying that, at that moment, Stewbeef seemed like a certifiable Righteous Man to me. In the good way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2011 07:38PM by Thurn the Defenestrator.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 07:43PM

I used to ask bishops sp and even a GA

How righteous is righteous enough?

I genuinely want(ed) to know. I still ask that question because i haven't heard an acceptable answer. The most common answer from leadership was.... read, fast, pray for your answer. In other words, they have no idea.

So to answer your question. I have no idea.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 11:52PM

Posted by: yeehah ( )
Date: November 12, 2011 04:19AM

Ferris Bueller is exactly who I was thinking of, as well : )

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: November 12, 2011 12:18AM

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 12, 2011 12:36AM

+1

Posted by: The Dude ( )
Date: November 12, 2011 05:02PM

Jeff "The Dude" Doud, who the Coen Brothers made a movie about called "The Big Lebowski".
He's a real Dude. I met him at a Lebowskifest in Seattle, which is where the Coen Brothers met him, at a Seattle Film Festival, and they made a movie about his life. Now it's a cult phenomenon.
Here's a link to an interview of the Dude, talking about current affairs at the Occupy LA encampment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpGuziCxPI0
There's even a religion, Dudeism, which you can join on the internet in 5 minutes and you will be a Dudeist Priest, which gives you the legal authority to marry couples, among other things.
I'm a Dudeist Priest and can marry people however, wherever they want. I got more authority in 5 minutes on the internet then I ever had after 40 years in the Mormon Crutch. Oh and women are welcome to be Dudeist Priess too. haha

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 12, 2011 05:17PM

I never used the word "righteous" any more without "self" in front of it. I've met lots of self-righteous people, but it's not my call if they are "righteous" or not.

If you mean in the 1980s sense, yeah, I know a few.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: November 12, 2011 05:22PM

Ethical, honest, real, sense of humor, caring, compassionate, willing to admit fault, authentic... Wrap these all into one and you have my definition of what a righteous dude or dudette would be, and I know several who meet this definition. BUT if a belief in "God" would have to be part of this definition, then no. I don't know any righteous people who meet the LDS definition.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.