Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 09:24PM

All this talk about whether or not Americans wear poppies for Remembrance Day causes me to write this. The answer is, No, not for Remembrance Day because it is now Veterans' Day, changed when I was a boy from Armistice Day. It's Remembrance Day everywhere else. Here in the States it's not so much associated with the horrors of the First War because the Americans had such a small part in it. If you were to believe American folklore about WWI, you would just think that it involved a lot of singing. The First War is best remembered by those who lost so many, by the Brits, the French, the Belgians, and I suppose the Canadians, although admittedly I'm a bit shaky on those connections. The point is, the US did little in that war and didn't have a huge memory to show for it.

Anyway, even though I'm a 21 year AF veteran, I only have one vestige of my uniform to show for it, my leather flying jacket with Air Intelligence Agency insignia and name/rank/wings patch. Still looks pretty spiffy. I wore it around at the parade, with my poppy attached above the name patch. People kept shaking my hand thanking me for my service, something that makes me really uncomfortable. I joined in the waning days of Vietnam, and NO ONE thanked you for your service. Instead, you donned civilian clothes and rushed through the airport trying not to be noticed. Today one's service is all volunteer, and our men and women know damn well what they're in for, but we still thank them for their service.

Along with their general thanks today, I got invited to the VFW for hot dogs and beer after the parade (I went and had a steamy hot dog with a cold hefeweizen), and to several different local pancake breakfasts tomorrow honoring the veterans here. I will attend the one at the local Weslyan church--only because I know right where that one is.

And this is the part that makes this comment on topic: How is it that the various churches here can come up with funds for pancake breakfasts open to the public when the Mormons can't come up with the sorry-ass amount to clean their own building? And now that I think about it, the Mormons were completely out of this Veterans' Day picture. Not even their Boy Scouts showed up in the parade.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: November 12, 2011 10:31AM

Mormons not included.

The Vietnam vets can stand proud.........you survived a terrible time.

Congrats and Enjoy wearing your poppy

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: November 12, 2011 12:54PM

I couldn't find a poppy anywhere.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: November 12, 2011 01:25PM

But the U.S. contribution was not negligible. It was U.S. grain and other foodstuffs, not to mention industrial output, that kept the British, French, and Belgian war machines going through much of the war.

When the American military did enter, it showed its inexperience (and, unfortunately ignorance and arrogance, a deadly combination) early on, but the doughboys did prove to be quick learners. Both the French and British armies had been bled white, and the American presence was the shot in the arm they needed. It's questionable whether the Allies could have finally stopped the last German offensive without the American presence. And the doughboys who fought their way through the Meuse-Argonne experienced as heavy and miserable fighting as any in the war.

In the space of a few months, the U.S. suffered as many casualties as it did in Vietnam over eight years.

Still, you're right; In the U.S. we have forgotten the debt we owe those doughboys. Their achievements have been overshadowed by the U.S. effort in WWII, which is understandable. But it's still too damn bad we don't wear poppies, too.

I-had-a-great-uncle-who-died-in-the-Great-War-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: notmo ( )
Date: November 12, 2011 02:46PM

Corned Beef...you are an idiot.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.