Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sam ( )
Date: November 13, 2011 11:11AM

One of my favorite things is to sit and enjoy a great cup of coffee. I enjoyed reading the following website that lists (at the bottom) how research suggests coffee consumption might reduce the chances of a number of diseases, including type 11 diabetes, Parkinson's, Liver disease, and some kinds of cancers.

http://positivelycoffee2.pseltd.com/

One of my friends asked, why doesn't the mormon church change their policy on coffee with all of the medical evidence suggesting that it has positive health benefits?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: November 13, 2011 06:57PM

, The John Birch Society or the United States Department of Agriculture (which Ezra Taft Benson once was secretary) or a US Constitutional Amendment declaring coffee as a health benefit endorsed coffee consumption, the Morg would still hold on to the tradition of the Word of Wisdom.

Unless the Morg bought a coffee plantation and could make money off of a new revelation embracing coffee drinking. LOL.

Posted by: andyb ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 12:16AM

In addition to all it's health benefits, it tastes really good with Bailey's Irish Cream in it!!YUM!!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 09:32AM

Anything tastes good with Bailey's Irish Cream.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: November 22, 2011 05:06PM

A single ice cube tastes best with Baileys :)

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 09:37AM

They have/had Jamaican Blue Mountain Reserve on sale for $10 off per pound. Plus my boss ordered a big sampler of 1/2 bags. Good stuff.

God, I love coffee. Don't know why. I hate bad coffee, though, one of the hazards of loving coffee. DW thinks it's because I was never truly converted to the WoW (say what?) because my died-in-the-wool Southern Indiana parents drank coffee and made it for us kids when we were little. By age 11 or so I was brewing up pots of coffee for my breakfast. After my parents died and I was put in an LDS foster home, they wouldn't even let me drink Coke. Then I went to Italy on a mission where I was persistently and exquisitely tortured by the smells of brewing Italian coffee along the street. Man, I really had a coffee problem, but no more. I've been cured--by coffee.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 09:41AM

My brother's answer is that, like with smoking, the world's understanding of health benefits is always changing. They used to think smoking was healthy, but have since learned the church was right all along. The church's stances are correct, and if science is honest it will eventually converge on them.

Some day science will realize that coffee is bad for you.

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: November 22, 2011 05:00PM

I doubt that will ever happen. There was never any evidence that smoking was good for you and there are so many studies that support the health benefits of coffee. Interesting rankings below of coffee drinking for nations and life expectancy. I have never seen any studies that suggests coffee drinking is unhealthy or shortens life span.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/foo_cof_con-food-coffee-consumption

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_lif_exp_hea_yea-health-life-expectancy-healthy-years

Other than smoking, what is the other big risk factor (that is medically shown) that the church never brings up? The U.S. is ranked #1 in the world in this category (see below)

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: November 22, 2011 05:05PM

The main benefit of coffee, for me, is that it gets me through 10 hour working days!!!

Oh, and it tastes good :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.