Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: aly123go ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 05:24PM

I just had a childhood flashback. I was thirteen (this is back when thirteen was still considered to be a child), and I was getting toward the end of my tenure as an active Mormon. My ward had set up a sin aversion maze, and it was lined with different stations, which were scripture lessons. The maze also had people offering doughnuts to us as we were walking the straight, and narrow. They were representative of the sin we are subject to. After about five minutes of be teased with these delicious doughnuts, I caved. Hell never tasted so GOOD! However, the ridicule I received for making the wrong choice lasted forever, and was ultimately the catalyst for my separation from the church. I mean, how dare a growing child want a doughnut around dinner time? It's just preposterous! Till this day, doughnuts are my favorite food, and it was one of the best lessons life had ever given me. Amen for Doughnuts!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AtheistMarine ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 05:29PM

Those object lesson/mind control games are just sick, I'm disgusted every time I hear about them.

Long live doughnut!

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 08:32PM

"Those object lesson/mind control games are just sick, I'm disgusted every time I hear about them."

What???? Mind control games??
Anymore examples of this?

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 01:38AM

I had alot of teachers use the telephone game. That is where the teacher gives a writen phrase to pupil #1. Pupil #1 then whispers the written phrase to pupil #2. The process repeats itself x number of times untill the final pupil proclaims the phrase they just recieved. Usually the phrase has little to do with the original phrase. They were trying to use the lesson as an example of how the bible was corupted over the centuries. It was only years later I realized how the game had absolutely no relation to how documents and information are actually transmitted thru the generations.

Posted by: WickedTwin ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 06:17PM

Cripes. I do recall it was the heathens in the "great and spacious building" that subjected people to ridicule for following the iron rod/straight and narrow path.

I guess the righteous took a play right out of their book and did it to the people who wandered off. "What delicious white fruit! Let's chuck it at those in the mists of darkness!"

Maybe edited it out because "turnabout is fair play" doesn't read righteous enough.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 06:24PM

It ALWAYS starts with a pastry. At least you're not a "licked cupcake". LOL

Ron

Date: November 15, 2011 06:38PM

Bwahahahaha! Right? Though, I've done that.. They just didn't catch me that time ;)

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 06:28PM

when we ditched church to go visit the infamous shut-ins Brother Winchell or Brother Duncan.

Date: November 15, 2011 06:37PM

Oh, Brother Duncan is my one way ticket to eternal damnation. I love that guy!

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 06:57PM

Only it was kind of the opposite idea. The teacher had an onion and asked a student to eat it. The idea was that the onion represented our sins and eating it was just too horrible so we needed Jaheesus to eat our onion for us.... or something like that. Unfortunately it didn't work out because the kid got up and started right in on the onion. Ate it like an apple. The douche seminary teacher didn't know what to do after that.

Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 07:09PM

Date: November 15, 2011 07:10PM

ROFLMAO! No.. Words.. Cant.... catch.. my... breath!

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 07:14PM

I wasn't a very good seminary student at the best of times. Sometime during my Jr. year in high school they asked me not to attend any more. It was like getting out of prison.

Posted by: apatheist ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 10:28PM

My dad had a lifelong friend who could do that with garlic, I think. Might have been onion, but either way, he'd chomp into them like an apple.

That result is priceless.. I would pay money to see an unscripted, unplanned event like this.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 07:15PM

I once ate candy corn at primary around halloween as a kid. I went home with a head ache and got really sick and puked.

I guess that was a sign that primary was sinful.....or was it the candy corn that was sinful?

Either way I'm covered now.....I never attend church and I never eat candy corn.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 01:42AM

Goddamnit!!!! I knew candy corn and primary were evil. If only I had known you when I was a kid. LOL

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 07:40PM

Somehow I expected this thread to be about Homer Simpson. Mmm...forbidden doughnut.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 08:02PM

Don't forget President Krispy Kreme and First Counselor Dunkin Doughnuts....

Posted by: greekgod ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 10:42PM

I remember them doing this when I was younger. They blind folded us and we had to follow a rope (the "rod") and we had a guide (the "Spirit") telling us where to go. Then random people would come along and say "go this way, it's faster." or "come here and have a delicious donut!" The thing is, they SALTED the donuts, to represent what a guilty asshole you are supposed to be for being duped into worldly sin.

I zoomed through the thing in record time. I was proud of myself. Just like Nephi.

Look at my now, bitches.

LOOK AT ME NOW

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 01:09AM

"Long ago when I was five,
I snuck in the kitchen late at night
And ate a donut with a maple glaze."

From the Book of Mormon Musical - Spooky Mormon Hell Dream

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 01:13AM

Date: November 16, 2011 11:18AM

Hahahaha! I did not hear of this until now!

Posted by: godesstogodless ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 11:49AM

When I read title I was thinking dam what was he doing to that donut when he got caught. glad you were only eating it. I to remember this stupid super saturday activity.

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 11:51AM

then Daniel Peterson is in big trouble.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.