Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 08:53PM

I'm always happy to talk with my colleagues in the press about Romney (and have done it before--the first time he ran for president--to the chagrin and anger of defensive Mormons who didn't appreciate me "speaking out of school" (meaning honestly and openly) about the secret Mormon temple ceremonies that Mitt went through in order to achieve full faith and fellowship status in the LDS Church).

These issues arose in the context of media inquiries (initiated by the media and not by me) about how Romney's religious faith might affect or otherwise influence his governance as U.S. president. This time around, Romney is a far more serious candidate than he was four years ago, and the press is gearing up and taking notice.

That said, I don't know, off-hand, what leadership positions Romney has worked in as a Mormon leader over his LDS lifetime, other than he was a full-time missionary in France.

Help on that score, please, if any of you out there may know.

Anyone with personal information or direct knowledge from their own experience would also, of course, be valuable as a source. Those willing to go on the record or at least be willing to talk on background with the reporter, step right up. You can make contact arrangements through me and, as required and agreed upon, requests for confidentiality will also be made.

Thanks.

Steve Benson

Edited 19 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 10:08PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 09:16PM

Most likely a Bishop.

Date: November 16, 2011 09:19PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 09:20PM by steve benson.

Date: November 16, 2011 09:20PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitt_Romney
"In July 1966, Romney left for 30 months in France as a Mormon missionary, a traditional duty that his father and other relatives had done."

"He served as ward bishop for Belmont from 1981 to 1986, acting as the ecclesiastical and administrative head of his congregation.[53][54] He took a hands-on role, helping in home and garden maintenance efforts, counseling troubled or burdened church members, and trying to solve social problems among poor Southeast Asian converts."

"He had stepped down as Boston Stake president in order to run for the Senate, although he still taught Sunday School and had a limited role in trying to ease tensions between the church and local residents during the long and somewhat controversial approval and construction process for a Mormon temple in Belmont."

Date: November 16, 2011 09:23PM

. . . But those are statements that can be independently investigated for confirmation. Thanks again.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 09:29PM by steve benson.

Date: November 16, 2011 09:29PM

It is interesting that the experts are the ones who found the articles more credible than non-experts. Any source can have errors or bias. I think Wikipedia is pretty good for what it is, how much information it contains, and how it is created.

http://frodo.lib.uic.edu/ojsjournals/index.php/fm/article/view/1413/1331
"This short study examines Wikipedia’s credibility by asking 258 research staff with a response rate of 21 percent, to read an article and assess its credibility, the credibility of its author and the credibility of Wikipedia as a whole. Staff were either given an article in their own expert domain or a random article. No difference was found between the two group in terms of their perceived credibility of Wikipedia or of the articles’ authors, but a difference was found in the credibility of the articles — the experts found Wikipedia’s articles to be more credible than the non–experts. This suggests that the accuracy of Wikipedia is high. However, the results should not be seen as support for Wikipedia as a totally reliable resource as, according to the experts, 13 percent of the articles contain mistakes."

Date: November 16, 2011 09:31PM

. . . I've had long-term problems with their site on a personal level that took a significant amount of time and coordination with moderators and editors to eventually correct.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 09:48PM by steve benson.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 09:25PM

Date: November 16, 2011 09:28PM

Date: November 16, 2011 11:07PM

Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 09:29PM

Although, maybe they did, and you are yet another source. That would be real journalism.

Date: November 16, 2011 09:40PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 09:44PM by steve benson.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 09:48PM

Wasn't he anointed a king or priest or something in the temple in preparation to rule in the CK? Har har

I hope the interviewer will let you add a few other tidbits other than his leadership positions...like....

Like the "coincidence" of the Mormon PR push.

Like that Mormons pay 10% to their church and 10% from Mitt's investment earnings (since he's unemployed and all) is a big 10% for the Mormons.

Like the oaths that are made in the Mormon temple that may not exactly be representative of most Americans.

I think the reporter needs to know that tracking down "leadership" positions in the LDS church is a dead end. Mitt would simply retort that everyone is a leader in the church and that he was not paid to lead.

Date: November 16, 2011 09:51PM

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 09:53PM by steve benson.

Date: November 16, 2011 09:54PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 10:16PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Longout ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 10:23PM

Define what a "stake" is, what a "ward" is, people don't get much info. Also, the terms "Bishop" and "Gentile" being used outside of their original definitions...and Mitt doesn't really believe any of the concepts regarding Easter, the resurrection and other Christian beliefs. I realize you don't need to become Fawn Brodie (and you can't, because you are neither dead nor female), but it would be cool to see this stuff published. And the magic underwear, of course. I'll do my part. Mitt's grandfather served time of polyandry and those documents I've got.

Date: November 16, 2011 10:27PM

. . . would be most interesting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 10:28PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Ed (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 10:19PM

My father-in-law was his clerk for some time. My FIL (who is one of the most loyal people that I have ever met) won't talk too much about his time as Romney's clerk but did say that, after his time working with Mitt, that he could never consider voting for him.

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 10:42PM

I found something abortion-related in Mitt's past. It's not the NZ story with Judith Dushku; this is an incident that happened to a relative of Mitt's through his sister's marriage.....the tragic death via illegal abortion of Ann Keenan, when Mitt was 16:
http://www.salon.com/2011/08/08/mitt_romney_abortion_ann_keenan/

I don't know if it helps, but it gives some insights into a little known part of his life that may have tied in to his later ill-fated scenario as a bishop.

Posted by: Adult of god on another computer ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 11:49PM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,341046,341932#msg-341932
:

Here's the stunning part: by PtLoma

I'd like to write the following letter to newspaper editorial pages:

"Between the start of Mitt Romney's mission in the late 1960s and April 1990 (when major changes were introduced to the temple ceremony), Romney attended the temple endowment ceremony a minimum of 250 times, since the minimum standard for temple attendance is once a month. Given his twelve year service as a bishop and later a stake president, he likely attended more often than once per month.

During those 250+ sessions, he participated in:

--over 250 oaths in which he vowed to put the church before all else
--over 250 mockings of a Protestant minister as hireling of Satan
--over 250 ritual slittings of his throat, chest, and abdomen, (750+ ritual slittings in all) as "ways in which life can be taken" for those who discuss the temple ceremony with outsiders.

There is no evidence to suggest that Romney disagreed with any of these strange dogmas and rituals, and as stake president his role was to promulgate such rituals.

Still think you'll vote for him for President?"

Date: November 17, 2011 12:05AM

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 01:07AM

Steve, I would quote WORD FOR WORD these oaths (and penalties) that he made in the temple. I would also clarify that LDS Inc literally represents God and his "kingdom on earth" to which Mormons are COMMANDED to obey. Mormons will try to downplay all this as just symbolic but we ex-Mo's know Mormons are beholden to the Morg.

Posted by: alex71ut ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 12:12AM

Steve, you can probably confirm this with your grandfather when he's on one of his heavenly visits from Spirit Paradise to check on you to make sure you're obeying Monson ;)

http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/25084/New-stake-presidencies.html

BOSTON MASSACHUSETTS STAKE: (March 20, 1994) President - Kenneth G. Hutchins Jr., 52, police chief of Northborough, Mass., succeeding W. Mitt Romney; former stake president's counselor, high councilor, stake Young Men president, bishop and counselor, and seminary teacher, married Priscilla Marion Glass. Counselors - Ralph Neil Christensen, 42, vice president human resources/engineering at Digital Equipment, former high councilor, bishop, ward mission leader, Young Men president, and seminary teacher, married Teresa Tibbitts; Gary Lewis Crittenden, 40, chief financial officer, former high councilor, stake mission president, bishop and counselor, and Young Men president, married Catherine Jean Cox.

Date: November 17, 2011 12:22AM

Posted by: newswire ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 12:31AM

I actually know quite a bit about the Romney family. Most of it not good, they are horrible people.

I would never vote for a Romney either.

Date: November 17, 2011 12:37AM

Posted by: newswire ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 12:33AM

Gee, we can't talk directly to the reporter ourselves and even remain annoymouse from Steven Benson? Shucks!

Date: November 17, 2011 12:41AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2011 12:42AM by steve benson.

Posted by: newwire ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 12:56AM

I am using the same handle. It's newswire. haven't you noticed.
the only time I changed handles was when I was getting harassed by some folks and knew they were checking into the ex-mormon site, no reason to mobbed someone. I had a reason, and it was a very good reason, it is all part of an intertwined and sorted story, with unexpected twists and turns.

Just because the 'intellectuals' think they know everything doesn't mean they do, some of us have real life experience in real time.

Date: November 17, 2011 12:59AM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2011 01:00AM by steve benson.

Date: November 17, 2011 01:06AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2011 01:07AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Anon2 ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 01:12AM

I'm fairly certain that Richard Bushman ("Rough Stone Rolling") would have been living in Belmont with his family at the same time that Mitt was bishop there.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.