Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notion ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 01:59PM

I have know this particular family for 5 years. I see the husband occassionaly through work as we work in similar fields. Sometimes I see the kids when they play outside as we live relatively close. I can't say we are close friends but friendly acquaintances for sure.

Ever since I stopped going to church, their children call me with invites to church related activities. Giving a talk, primary program, whatever. Just couple times a year, not all the time. I don't ever go and have no intention of going and have no problem saying no.

It does bother me they are putting their children out there for stronger emotional manipulation AND setting them up for disappointment. Neither the husband or the wife ever mention anything about the invites when I see them personally and they never really tried to talk to me about why I don't go anymore or anything like that. It almost seems that they made up their mind and think they know the reason.

Has anyone else ever encounter this behavior in other TBMs?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 02:04PM

I also resent how they send kids to the door to collect fast offerings while the adults wait in the car in the driveway.

Fast offering? As in 'how fast are you offering to get off my front porch' is a little harder to say to an unsuspecting 10 year old.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 02:34AM

Posted by: mormonimposter ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 04:05PM

This reminds me of hearing about war overseas. 10 year old boys being trained by terrorist groups to shoot US soldiers. The US soldiers don't have the heart to shoot the young boys, so they get shot instead. If they do find it in them to shoot the young boys, they feel so guilty for it.

Sound familiar??

Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 06:30PM

Posted by: mormonimposter ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 02:39AM

I've never heard of that movie.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 05:19PM

Why would a child be calling to invite an adult to some function? Weird.

Date: November 17, 2011 05:31PM

I know, it is weird! Usually the function involves the kids somehow (like being in the primary program or giving a talk or something) but it's never the kid who is calling. Just plain weird. Almost as if the family had a calling list and they assign the kids to call certain number of people to invite.

Date: November 17, 2011 11:27PM

Does anyone else have a similar story? I'm just curious if it's something this family does or if it's a mormon thing ...

Date: November 18, 2011 09:41PM

Just an update ... I emailed the parents a note asking for a direct contact next time. Seriously, who let's their kids do that. I'm not sure it's going to make any difference but I'll let you know when I hear anything back.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 06:34PM

It's on the same moral level.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 11:31PM

Reminds me of little children flogging trinkets, junk, substandard goods like carpets and smokes at the market that was held in Camp Julien in Kabul....while vile looking men, probably Taliban sympathizers in some cases, socilized. I went one, could not take it again.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 03:47AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2011 04:08AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: dominikki ( )
Date: November 21, 2011 03:48PM

A couple of years ago, my TBM BIL and SIL sent their very shy 4 year old son to ask me why I didn't go to church...I said cuz I just don't and we walked out, I told my DH to tell his brother to never send his kids to ask me that agian or I would tell them the real reason I don't go to church! It kinda pissed me off that they would do that.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: November 21, 2011 04:15PM

I've always wanted to have lil' kolobians show up at my house to collect something or other. They'd have to find out where I live, get through the gate and past the dogs, but if they succeeded then good on 'em!

What I would do:

Kids: Hello Brother Kolobian, we're here to collect your fast offerings.
Kolobian: Oh, wonderful. I have something to offer but it's not money. I have a great secret to tell you that very few people in the church know. Do you think you're ready?
Kids: Oh yes, Brother Kolobian! We're ready!
Kolobian: Okie dokie. Let me see your hand. Ok, put your pinky finger here and your index finger there on the wrist, just like that. Good job. Do you know what this is?
Kids: No...
Kolobian: This is the secret handshake you have to know to get into the celestial kingdom. If you don't know how to shake Jesus' hand right you can't get in. Now go show your parents!

I doubt they'd come back anytime soon...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.