Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: curiousnevermo ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 05:17PM

Okay, so another question. Thanks for being so great about answering them.

Whenever someone asks a (perfectly valid) question, such as "Why will my mother be forced to spend eternity with her abusive ex?" or "My husband is sealed to his deceased wife and to me. How will that work?", the person is inevitably told that God will "work it out in the eternities".

If that's the case, what's the need for all of the pomp and circumstance here? Why the sealings and secret handshakes and new names and all that? I would think God would just sort all of it out later. Is there a TBM answer for this question?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dressclothes ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 05:21PM

They can tell you with such absoluteness about how true it all is, but when you have a question that no one in LDS inc. can answer, you are simply told that it will be worked out in the eternities. And if that answer isn't good enough for you, they berate you for your lack of faith.

Nothing annoys me more than the arrogance of it all.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 05:21PM

You're asking the wrong kinds of questions here. What you really should be asking yourself is, "how can I give more(to the Church)?" Now, bow your head and say yes.

That will do.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 05:27PM

I was in a large group discussion at the MTC where the speaker whos name is lost to me now essentially told us that this was how we should answer the hard questions. To paraphrase the man: "Elders and Sisters, sometimes you will encounter questions to which you may not have the answer or where the answer would not be relevant to thier conversion (not faith promoting). In such cases it is best to answer the question that they should have asked..." What a bunch of assholes.

Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 06:44PM

EXACTLY!!! I wonder the same thing too--my mother wants to seal her parents together once granny dies, even though my grandfather was an abusive asshole. Nevermo granny is concerned about this concept but, of course, my mother gives her the "You need the ordinances, and don't worry, god will work it out." So really, it seems to me, that all this temple work is a big f'ing waste of time. The majority of these people will not qualify for the CK anyway based on TSCC's criteria, so what's the point of doing the work. And, IF god is ALL-POWERFUL like they claim, then what the hell does he need us for anyway? Can't he just take care of it for who needs it in the next life? Or at the very least send Tommy a revised list of who actually needs work done? That whole "saviors on Mt. Zion" crap is complete nonsense. It's all there to give TBMs a sense of importance--a "we HAVE to do this" attitude, when it's essentially meaningless busy work.

Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 06:47PM

*Deep breaths* Okay, I feel better now...but seriously, it's SO stupid!

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 08:04PM

I HATE that statement! It really pushes my buttons. Why? My well-meaning but clueless bishop said that very thing when I asked for a temple divorce from my gay ex husband. He said they don't do that and it will be worked out in the eternities. I looked at him, called him by his first name and said, "so he will be turned straight then?" Left him speechless and me furious!

Posted by: Yaqoob ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 08:14PM

Well here's the good news that trumps everything anyway. (It's also known but rarely spoken...someone back me up plz:)

Everyone winds up progressing through eternity and all eventually get into the CK, yea even RfM trolls, lurkers, and regular posters. Hartman Rector Jr. Amongst other old skool GAs mentioned this and last week my TBM buddy reemphasized it to me. EVERYONE goes to the Celestial Kingdom! Yay! That is something ChurchCo doesn't mention much because it makes mbrs nuts.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 08:35PM

Not to mention evasive and incurious. If we have a prophet, seer and revelator, why doesn't he prophesy, see or revelate on this issue instead of throwing around a lame pat answer like that.

Posted by: sonflower ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 08:42PM

One thing I find quite odd about mormons, (among many, many, other things!) is that they refer to eternity in the plural. Eternities? Where did that come from? Can someone explain to me how the hell can we have more than one eternity? A nevermo here is just curious!

Posted by: apatheist ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 10:34PM

Posted by: mtnmdwcookiemonster ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 10:33PM

It just sounds holier & more magnificent than one eternity! Shows Mormons are beyond your understanding.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 10:40PM

I can't remember which prophet said it, maybe someone here does.

Something about if you stay true to your covenants your children will be with you in the ck no matter what.

I remember thinking: your kidding? what happened to free agency? Doesn't that make mo parents responsible for their kids eternal salvation? I could never figure that one out. It seemed to go against everything I knew about mormonism.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 11:26PM

never mind. I looked it up. It was BKP. ensign 2002.

It basically said what i thought it did though. All of us wayward mormons will suffer and pay the price, but eventually we will all end up in the same place as all the uber righteous mo's. Isn't that a comfort?

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 04:01AM

Which is exactly why they commissioned that article to be written. Sometimes the BIG15 worry that they have offered the members too much stick, and not enough carrot, so they make up new semi-doctrine like that to alter the balance towards carrots.

"Don't worry, it will all work out in the end."

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 04:28AM

Most of the geneology in my family is riddled with misspellings and inaccuracies. Is that a problem? No. They'll work it out later.

They mispronounce dead dunking names and it will be worked out later.

They dead dunk famous murderers and evil doers but God can sort out worthiness issues in the hereafter.

They routinely double and triple dunk people but God or Joe Smith or someone can figure out later which dunking was valid.

Whenever we follow a mormon doctrine through to its logical conclusion, we're likely to find that conflicts with another doctrine or that it just doesn't make sense. That's why mormons must resort to mind stoppers like "God will work it out in the eternities."

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 08:21AM

That's why I am not in the least bit worried about being wrong with TSCC being right all along. (Despite the chances being near zero). If I am wrong then "it will all work out in the end". If there is a God then I trust he will want all his children to be happy, not miserable for eternity.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 08:52AM

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 08:38AM

"That will be worked out in the eternities." = "I don't know and I don't want to think about it or discuss it anymore."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.