Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tombs1 ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 11:01AM

About two weks ago I gave a presenation on Mormonism and Homophobia. I talked about my experience in the church, prop 8,Boyd K. Packer's talks, and even showed some pictures of the temple ceramony.
Well there Just happened to be two LDS missonaries in that class by coincidence. They are friends with somone in the class and jsut happened to tag along with him on that day.
So I talked about a bunch of things that "I Am Not Supposed To" and these two elders were their not wearing their suits or name tags, and came up and introuduced themselfes after class.
All of the people in my group were freaked out by that and woried about me. But we figured out what had happened really quick.
So now the missonaries think it is "God Behind" our meeting and are trying to bring me back into the fold. First they tried to set up a meeting with me through their friend, but I said no thank you because I din't think anything productive would come from my meeting with them.
But on Firday, they sat next to my in the computer lab while I was reading posts on this board. They said they wanted to talk to me, and I agreed to answer any questions that they had with the condition of, no praying, or testimony bearing.
So Long story short, I told them of my experience in the church and reasons for leaving and got the whole run around from them. A few things that they said were:
1.) I lack faith
2.) One day I will stand before God and Jesus and know that I could of had more
3.) I am not happy right now.
4.) They are my friends and I don't have to cold shoulder them when I see them on campus.
I do not have much sympathy for these two guys even though they are just "doing their job" my attitude is this, Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...(its not happening again) I am sick of the love bombing and maipulation that these people use.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 11:05AM

much less encourage it.

;)

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 11:10AM

maybe call the mission president and let him know you're being stalked?

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 11:11AM

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 11:30AM

They're sure that at the ripe ol' age of 19/20 that they know it all and you know nothing. Don't stand for it. Tell them to back off or suffer the consequences. If they don't call the mission pres or even the police.

That type of arrogance makes me a little mad. Only thing that makes me madder is to realize I probably was just as arrogant as a missionary. OK... I wasn't that bad, but still...

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 11:36AM

Their response was to blame you. Which is exactly why I avoid discussing Mormonism with Mormons. They believe the “Church is true” and by extension that church leader could never do anything wrong or hurtful. If you imply otherwise, even in the mildest of terms, they simply can’t go there – mentally or emotionally. Their response has to be that there is something wrong with YOU (want to sin, too lazy to live the rules, etc), or that YOU are misinformed (and they are going to set you straight) or YOU are being misled by stan (my personal favorite).

There just isn’t anywhere for that conversation to go, so I agree with you: why have it?

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 11:43AM

It's totally your call, but maybe you can plant some seeds with these guys. Their young and maybe you can get the wheels turning a little bit before they become fully invested in the cult. I'm one of the few on this board who actually wish LDS missionaries would approach me so that I can share with them what I learned but I have never run into missionaries in the 15 years since my mission!!

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 01:24PM

And tell them when they've read it, you'll consider talking to them...

You don't have to do the "heavy lifting" with the cult awareness tactics, just let information such as t his speak for itself...

And then there's my old "Listen kids, as you are, I once was" shot...

At least it'll keep them away most of the time... And of course you could always ask Cheryl to borrow her garden hose...

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 11:55AM

A few things that they said were:
1.) I lack faith (Faith when the evidence is clearly contrary which is blind faith and denial)

2.) One day I will stand before God and Jesus and know that I could of had more (That is a threat! What ever happened to “free agency”?)

3.) I am not happy right now. (There is nothing more condescending that mormon mind readers of any stripe)

4.) They are my friends and I don't have to cold shoulder them when I see them on campus. (A demand for respect in public after denying you any respect whatsoever and not asking but “telling” you that they are your friends, like it or not! No one needs these kinds of friends)

Being “awake” is ssooooooooooo much better than a sleepy delusion! These guys sat in on your presentation and “heard” nothing. Their pre-conceptions kept them asleep.

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 11:59AM

The thing I find most amazing is that you think they were there by coincidence. Was there any advanced knowledge by the class that the topic was coming up? If they were not in uniform, it means it was p day, and I can't believe that they would spend that time in a class they would get no credit for attending. Is that class so interesting that random people regularly sit in on it? I may be "jaded" but this reaks of a setup. Missionaries aren't allowed to be friends, and just hang out with someone.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 12:21PM

So they don't want the "cold shoulder", eh?

After they have acted like they know your mind and heart AND threatened you about regrets in the hereafter?

Personally, I'd be blunt: "Listen, dudes, I know you think you are doing God's work, but you have crossed a boundary into my life and frankly, and I liked it better before you did. So please don't think of it as a cold shoulder, just think of it as me choosing who I wish to let into my life. I don't buy into your religion and all of us could spend our time better with other people."

Whenever I take a stand against intrusive/annoying people, I feel really good afterwards. It's like developing a weak muscle. It's great to have someone (like the missionaries, who you don't really care about a future relationship with) to practice those assertiveness skills on.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 12:21PM

Thought police in a classroom is not acceptable at most institutions.

Discuss it with your teacher. I'll be he/she is not going to be happy. Or are you the teacher?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 12:30PM

It was no accident they were there.

Was it "P" day? Other wise, it seems to me, they would be in their usual attire.

Looks like you have done all you can do to let them know you are not interested. If they continue to bother you, get their names, and tell them, and their mission president they are harassing you and if they show up again, you will call the police and making a report.

Finish it off with telling them to live their 11th Article of Faith - might repeat it to get it to sink in!
11th Article of Faith:
We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 12:34PM

They wish!!!

A possible response:

"'Elder' So-and-So, speak for YOURSELF. what I hear you saying is that YOU think YOU would be unhappy if you left the church. That is NOT my experience."

As to your talk about Mormonism in your class: Yay! Inform the sometimes-ignorant neverMo public of the truth about Mormonism. Way to go, Tombs1!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.