Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: exmo59 ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 10:31PM

A guy at work asked me this as he knows I'm former active mormon. I told him there probably is not an official declaration from the church. But I'm sure many who are TBM would love the publicity from having a mormon president.

I'm a Ron Paul man myself, so as the only inactive, it will get interesting when I go for Thanksgiving should politics come up.

I might just ask one of my brothers who is pretty honest if he feels he has to vote for Romney, and ask what he really sees in him. He is not as conservative as they would like, so I wonder if they'll forget their beliefs and vote for a mormon.

Heck, maybe they should support Harry Reid!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: captainmoroni ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 10:42PM

Duh. Right after hypocritically criticizing blacks for voting for Obama.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 04:50AM

+1!!!

Posted by: exmo59 ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 12:54AM

The other thing is mormons are supposed to revere the Constitution as inspired of god. Yet Romney seems to have little interest in it.

Posted by: fmrly ExmoinCO ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 02:57AM

There's an old saying..."Democrats fall in love, Republicans fall in line."

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 03:33AM

Of course they will - from both sides I expect. Church first, remember.

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 06:52AM

I’ve been fighting exactly this battle for the last 5 years now. Mormon friends will try to convince me to vote for Romney. After only a few sentences it’s clear that they don’t even know where he stands, currently, on many issues. Sure they’ll talk about his experience at Bain and with the Olympics but it’s like they are so infatuated with him they don’t even try to understand his positions on the issues. I typically end the conversation by asking an issue question that illustrates taht they don't even know.

ME: So how do you feel about his position on medical cannabis?
THEM: <silence>
ME: You don’t know his position on medical cannabis, do you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2011 06:53AM by peregrine.

Posted by: wondering... ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 05:06PM

I got an email a few months back from someone in our ward who wanted to share a website with everyone regarding Romney and supporting him. Most people I asked supported voting for him. I immediately sent an email back and asked to be taken off his email list. Hate church and politics.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 09:32AM

You are not allowed to vote against Romney for his religious beliefs, but he expects 2-3 million votes from Mormons because he is one of them.

Nearly every TBM I know wants Romney so bad it hurts. When I point out that the only thing he stands for is election, they reply that he is "just like all politicians". I've never seen someone so willing to sell out for his beliefs.

Even my mother criticized him in 2008 for soft peddling his Mormon beliefs. "Why should I vote for him because he's Mormon if he acts ashamed of it?"

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 05:57PM

Where I live, Mormons gang together so if they have a group going for Romney now, they all will. It was that way at the Caucus' in '08. Very pathetic. Can they not function as individuals? It seemed not. There they were in their large groups of precinct voters....all huddled together in this corner and that. So obvious who they were.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.