Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nomomomo ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 11:47PM

Hmm. I am watching Private Practice, and they keep breaking in about YBU students and why they have gotten together about the show Modern Family, and they keep showing the gay couple. Gee, I wonder what the problem is.

I love that show, just me. It's funny, and while it shows stereotypes some of them are true. I can't wait to see what they have to say.....Even the self-professed "Gay Mormon" in my race and minority class at UVU loves this show, and is using it in our group presentation.

I don't get the whole gay mormon thing. It is sad. My ex is gay, and he was mormon, but married. Now, I see how wrong it is to expect someone who is gay to not have a significant other. Gay and Mormon just don't go together. I would like to know how my classmate deals with it as he gets older.

Ok, enough, back to my show.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 12:05AM

Modern Family is my FAVORITE show!I even let my two older kids watch it, ages 8 & 9. We all love it!

Posted by: nomomomo ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 12:07AM

Typical hate. A student wrote about the gay couple raising an adopted child, and now there are more letters to the editor, and it sounds like lots of hate. Typical mo stuff. It is news 4 ABC utah, so you can go online to check it out.

Makes me sick.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 12:32AM

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top_stories/story/Letters-to-BYU-school-newspaper-homophobic/AIpVp-6HwUW_DbgNoCtt0Q.cspx

I couldn't argue with one point though:

"We must avoid, at all costs, letting children grow up in a church where horrible sins are modeled as acceptable." Oh wait, that said home not church, didn't it?

Because that's actually why I got my kids out of Mormonism, where horrible sins of judging, hypocrisy, homophobia, hate, intolerance were modeled as acceptable. Not in our home, ever, mind you but in that religion.

At least the article states most students didn't like the sentiments in the letter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2011 12:35AM by CA girl.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 01:11AM

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 02:24AM

Up the jacksie....? Huh? What is that and why don't I know about said phrase?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 10:49AM

and especially the gay couple. My TBM daughter loves it, too--I just had to mail her the first 2 seasons.

For her--even though TBM--I think it is very valuable for both my kids to see a gay couple like the one on Modern Family. To me, it is SO REFRESHING.

Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 11:03AM

Slightly O/T (I DO love Modern Family, btw), but my gay BIL and his partner are in the process of adopting a newborn. He hasn't mentioned this to any of of his TBM family members because he knows the shit will hit the fan once he does. There's no way they'd ever condone the two of them raising a child--which is sad, because they'd be awesome dads. I think it's also going to hit the fan when the TBM family members discover his sister and I both wrote letters of recommendation to help their adoption process...

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 12:03PM

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 12:10PM

"A letter to the school's newspaper is getting the attention of the school's gay community."

BYU has a "gay community"? Although I'm sure there are gays at BYU, what's this in reference to? Are they underground, hidden, out of view? And how the hell would the reporter know if the "community" was up in arms? Did they all gather in the Smith Field House for an interview?

Man, that must be hard being one "blabbermouth" away from a Standards Board review.

Ron

Posted by: grandma ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 12:13PM

that most student he knew AGREED with the sentiments, but just not the way they were stated.

So discouraging. Thank goodness I'm not a Mormon any more. I'd feel like hiding in a dark place and crying.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.