Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: familyfirst ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 07:35AM

Off topic, on topic, it's all part of everything about religion that I have been processing.

Between watching a Criminal Minds episode that revolved around a psychotic religious delusion and reading the news this morning about a man from Idaho thought he was Jesus and Obama is the anti-christ...

have there been any studies done about religions and which religions may have more people having psychotic delusions? I mean, in the East, do people have religious delusions about being Buddha or the Dali Lama?

I am serious. Does Christianity have more people fall into psychotic delusions than other religions? Yes, I know people don't become psychotic just because of religion, (well) and that are population statistics and all that.

I am more than curious to the relation of religion and psychotic delusions.

I mean, have you ever noticed that the only people who get possessed are Christian? I would think it would be easier to get possessed if you were not a Christian; I would think the belief and faith would protect people more than those who didn't have 'faith.'

I am just wondering how much religion, specifically Christian religion plays into these situations.

I know that there are a lot of intelligent people here so I thought I would ask.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 07:47AM

If you haven’t already you should ready Carl Sagan’s “The Demon Haunted World” He addresses this quite a bit. A quick synopsis is that people will interpret natural neurological phenomena in the framework of whatever mythology or belief system that they have. For instance, Sleep paralysis this is a common and well understood problem that some people have when they wake up but their body is unresponsive for a few seconds. Understand it properly and there’s nothing to be worried about or afraid of. However if you grew up believing in demons your brain will interpret it accordingly and you think you’re possessed. In modern times, there is a new demon. This same neurological phenomenon is interpreted as alien abduction.
I’d like to see the statistics compiled but I’d be willing to bet that the instances of alien abduction are just as scarce in those groups who don’t believe in aliens, as demon possessions are in non-Christians. You have to believe in the demon, whatever it may be, for it to affect you.

Posted by: familyfirst ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 08:48AM

I haven't read any of his work but I will. Thank you.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.