Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 12:58PM

My German Shepherd got sick nearly 3 weeks ago. I thought she'd stroked, but it was vestibular disease, something in normal circumstances that she might have recovered.

Abby was 12.5 years old and had back and mobility difficulties that had progressively gotten worse over the last 8 months.

I'd even had her in for acupuncture and spinal adjustments that helped keep her on her feet. And I really just wanted to keep her on her feet at least thru the winter.

But Abby was not recovering, and was down for almost 2 weeks. She got a bladder infection and pneumonia, and I finally had her put to sleep. She hated being made to take pills--a running battle--hated being turned and would only lay on her right side--was painful due to her back pain.

I miss her. She was 65 pounds of fun and beauty.

Thank Odin the morg doesn't dead dunk dogs.

Susan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2011 01:00PM by escapee.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 01:01PM

Sorry for your loss. Big HUG>

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in??) ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 01:04PM

at almost 14 years of age. Nothing worse--I've lost my parents (and they loved dogs, too, so they wouldn't take offense)--nothing worse than losing my two dogs (one almost 14 years ago).

I also had to put this one to sleep. The other one was hit by a car at 5 years of age. I don't which is worse--watching them slowly die or having them taken from you so young.

I can't bring myself to get another dog yet. Don't know if I ever can.

I miss both of them still and always will.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 06:05PM

My dog died about a year after my mother. I think the dog was harder simply because she lived with me and my mother didn't. Everytime I came in the door, ate or even went to fridge the dog was there underfoot. There were so many more occasions to miss her than there were my mother. I did love my mother more, but losing the dog was harder in some ways. I am sorry for your loss. It helps to get a new dog when the time is right. Just don't do it on impulse or expect it to take the place of the lost dog. Give it some thought. You will know when it is time.

Posted by: lilyfgeorge ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 10:42PM

Please consider another pet in spite of the pain when they die - the world is full of animals needing a good home and I am always sad to hear a loving pet owner when they say they are not sure they could have another.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 01:04PM

Oh..my... so sorry for your loss. It's so hard to lose a beloved pet.

Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 01:05PM

For me, losing one of my dogs would be like losing a kid. I'm really sorry for your loss.

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 01:05PM

Oh, I'm so sorry! a big vitual hug for you! ((((HUG))))

Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 01:40PM

I am so very sorry. I am a dog lover, too (actually all animals) and I know how hard it is. Hang in and take comfort in the great memories you have.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 01:42PM

12 years - what a wonderful life you gave her. You know how much she loved you for all that time, and especially for giving her the final gift of freedom from pain.

Be kind to yourself; maybe even check in with a pet grief counselor. Do you have other pets? If so, they'll be grieving, too, and you can be great comfort to each other.

Check out the Rainbow Bridge website. You can share your story with other folks who are missing beloved pets. It always has been a comfort to me.

What a great, loving Mom you were to her. I'm going to go give my goofy Gordon Setter a hug and a cookie right now in Abby's memory

Date: November 18, 2011 04:12PM

We got a purebred Gordon from the SPCA 4 yrs ago. We'd never heard of the breed so I looked them up. "High energy" is an understatement until they're about 2 yrs old. Coco is 80 lbs of goof and she's also got the sweetest, most laid-back disposition - except when she's stalking squirrels, birds . . . or our cats!

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 01:52PM

i had my first dog(that was only mine) and he lasted 13.5 years and he was a chow!! I too had to put him down...twisted stomach... bad back etc.... and i was WAILING!! My Mom said i better grieve like that for her!! it was so hard.... after a month... i had to get another one!! this one is so different but i love him the same!! go get another one!! :)

Posted by: Anon too much IRL info ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 02:02PM

We lost our beloved guy last week too, from cancer. We knew he was slowing down, but the vet couldn't find anything. Then one day he just laid down and didn't want to move. After a few days of tests they found the tumor, but even drugs didn't make any difference. I just couldn't see putting him through chemo/radiation when he didn't even want to way his tail.

It is so much harder than I expected.

Date: November 18, 2011 04:21PM

Anon - ((((HUGS)))) to you, too! Losing a pet can be as hard as losing a human family member.

I've had to put down a couple cats over the years and that drive to the vets office has just been horrible, even though I know it's the best thing for them. You made the humane choice for your dog.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 04:26PM

Sooo sorry. (((hugs))). We had to put our 13 yr old collie/ shepherd to sleep 4 years ago. That was hard, made easier only because she wasn't eating anymore. I can't remember what the vet said she had, only that it was terminal. So i can understand what a hard day that was for you.

I still miss Holly. I have a 5 yr old daughter and i also have OCD- the contamination/ washing kind, so i haven't felt like i was capeable of training and exercising and caring for another dog yet.

We made a little book with funny and mischievious stories about Holly.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 05:19PM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 05:19PM

I lost my beloved cat at age 19 nearly three years ago. I still miss her.

Posted by: Moira (NotLoggedIn) ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 05:57PM

She is only 2 years old but I am so close to her I already think how bad it will be when I lose her. Hopefully she will live a long life. Before I had a dog, I had no clue about how attached you become. My condolences to you.

Posted by: familyfirst ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 06:30PM

I am truly sorry for your loss.

I went through it with my golden lab.

Dogs are so special, no one loves you like your dog.

I hope your heart heals soon.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 07:57PM

I always have a fur baby -- usually several dogs and cats at the same time. But nothing spares the pain of losing one.

One thing I'd like to mention is that we have a vet in our area who makes housecalls. He came to my house when I had to put my chow to sleep and it was a far better situation for me to handle it that way. She wasn't put through the strain of a car ride and wait in the vet's office and I got to hold her until the end. Perhaps there is a vet like that where you folks live too.

My thoughts are with you as you grieve your friend.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 07:57PM

We love them, don't we? I'll never stop missing my Wasp. It has been two years and we've invited another pound puppy into our home-- and she's plenty fun-- but I miss my Wasp just the same. Cherish the good times.

Posted by: orphan ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 09:38PM

Sorry for your loss. The most wonderful thing is that our pets love us no matter what.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 10:17PM

A beauty she must have been. Love GS!!! Glad you had her for that long. And just know you did everything. I also had to put my dog down 6 yrs. ago after doing all I could. She was 15 and 13 of those yrs. played like a puppy. I keep her picture on my frig and it just brings smiles to my face every day. That is how I deal with the loss. YOU may consider doing that too. I want to remember her with smiles.

Date: November 18, 2011 10:46PM

Thank you to everyone.

Abby has left a big space behind--I have been tempted by at least 3 other dogs this week, but I have to think with my head and not my heart on this.

I'm glad to know someone else has an Abby and I hope that Abby lives a good long life.

Bona Dea, it is harder in that the dog lives with you. When my folks go, it'll hurt, but they don't live with me, so I know what you mean.

Matt, I had a kitty that lived to be almost 19 also.

I'm really thinking about having 2 dogs--like Dave Barry once said, he had a dog and an emergency back up dog. Wish I had that emergency back up dog now.

Susan

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 10:51PM

I have had two dogs for years. It is easier when one goes and they keep each other company which is good, although you probably could get dogs who hated each other. The downside is they don't get as close to you since they have each other. They can also teach each other their habits-good or bad.

Date: November 18, 2011 11:56PM

Travelling with 2 is a bit trickier too. I've travelled around the country a bit and it is easier to be on the move with just one.

Food for thought, for sure.

Susan

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 02:52AM

We share more of life with our pets than we do with our friends, even. I'm so sorry, Susan.

I lost my black lab mix a year ago, and I will never get another dog, because she was so perfect. She lived 14 years. My daughter and I saw her with some other puppies from the Best Friends Sanctuary, in a fenced area in the middle of the mall. They were packing up the remaining puppies in wire cages, to drive them back to Kanab, in the back of a truck, in freezing weather. She had a terrible cold, so we took her home with us. We had not even discussed getting a dog, and for a couple of days, we weren't sure she would live. We gave her to my son for Christmas, and we all ran with her, and hiked with her in the canyons behind our house. She slept on my son's bed, and when he got married, she slept on my daughter's bed, and when my daughter got married, the dog slept on my bed, for 7 years. I miss her so much, that I think I hear her around the house, or barking outside to get in, but it is only the wind.

Last spring, the kids and I were all visiting in the kitchen, and the wind blew the back screen door. My son opened the door, and stood there, holding it open, while he continued talking. When he realized he was waiting for the dog to come in, his face changed, and we all burst out crying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2011 03:06AM by forestpal.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.