Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 06:07PM

This is bizarre:

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2011/11/18/judge_approves_crystal_cathedral_sale_to_diocese

<quote>
"SANTA ANA, California—The Crystal Cathedral will sell its iconic, gleaming glass building to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange in an effort to get back on solid financial footing after declaring bankruptcy last year.

The move was approved Thursday by U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge Robert N. Kwan after a bidding war between the diocese and Orange County's Chapman University for the sprawling 40-acre property -- and was opposed by many Crystal Cathedral congregants who fear it will be the end of their church

The diocese will pay $57.5 million to use the building in Garden Grove made of 10,000 panes of glass as a long-sought countywide cathedral.

"It will become a true center for our Catholic community in Orange County," Bishop Tod D. Brown told reporters after Thursday's packed hearing in federal bankruptcy court.
<endquote>

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: S. Tissue Trotter ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 06:55PM

This sounds like win-win. The Chapman University offer made sense, too, when the map shows they practically adjoin. Hope the Catholics hire a world-class organist, which they probably won't.

My only question is, why did OP "3X" say, "This is bizarre".

Oh, I guess another question, why was the Reformed Church in America no longer involved?

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 09:02PM

I always liked the cathedral architecture.

When they hold mass there I might actually make the effort and attend a few times, just to see what they've done with the place.

A Sunday drive there up the coast still beats any Mormon 3 hr indoctrination meetings.

Wonder if they will add bells?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 09:24PM

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 12:46AM

Posted by: spintobear ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 09:42PM

It couldn't be made into the temple. Just anyone would be able to view the secret....er......sacred goings on in there.

Posted by: Longout ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 11:02PM

The shiftless kids of this empire live in beach homes, no rent.

The family that trained and handled the animals used in the Crystal Cathedral's elaborate productions (Christmas and Easter) were not paid and are now dealing with bankruptcy and have had to sell some of their animals. They supplied the camels, sheep and lambs to the aggrandized productions.

Also take note that the professional musicians who worked there also got their earnings stolen.

I'm figuring that the steady income comes from parking fees that they charge to a nearby medical center that has no parking access otherwise.

"Cathedral" not. Huge glass house is all it is. Who knows if all those people cleaning the glass are even getting paid. The "pastors" there weren't bright enough to demand tithing to pay for the beach homes.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 11:05PM

3X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> "It will become a true center for our Catholic
> community in Orange County," Bishop Tod D. Brown
> told reporters after Thursday's packed hearing in
> federal bankruptcy court.
> ...
>

Or it will be a money pit just like it was for it previous owners.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 11:22PM

I think the building can be adapted fairly quickly to the needs of the Catholic diocese in OC
They have enough well heeled parishioners there to sustain them.

If I were a Catholic I think it would be kickass to get married in the Crystal Cathedral - with friends and family present and no one being denied entry.

It's a landmark to begin with and,all things considered, the Catholics got a good deal.

It also enables the Schullers to pay off their creditors and walk away with a little nest egg.Plus, they get the use of one of the other Catholic churches there to try and rebuild their little empire.

So yes, it looks like a win-win situation.

Posted by: andyb ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 12:52AM

It'll still be a church...like we need another friggin' church on this planet????

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.