Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: metatron ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 08:45PM

If he is, he might be the coolest Mormon ever.

When I saw the Bachman Cummings Songbook Tour I was just blown away. I am assuming Bachman collaborated in all of that music, either as an original artist, or songwriter.

I thought, How cool would it be to grow up making good music with your friends, and then make it BIG as a musician.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2011 09:10PM by metatron.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 08:46PM

Posted by: Luman Walters ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 08:50PM

What relation is he to Tal Bachman - who used to post here?

Posted by: chimes ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 09:05PM

....and the father of Tal (Talmadge). I knew Randy back in the 1970's and he spoke at a fireside in our ward in Bellevue, WA. He left the "Guess Who", where Burton Cummings was the lead singer, partly due to the drug use of others in the band. He formed Bachman-Turner Overdrive (BTO) and had a series of hits.

Posted by: metatron ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 09:12PM

chimes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ....and the father of Tal (Talmadge). I knew
> Randy back in the 1970's and he spoke at a
> fireside in our ward in Bellevue, WA. He left the
> "Guess Who", where Burton Cummings was the lead
> singer, partly due to the drug use of others in
> the band. He formed Bachman-Turner Overdrive
> (BTO) and had a series of hits.

Well, I'm glad he and Cummings both made it into middle age without being destroyed by drug addiction.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 02:03AM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 09:11PM

And SusieQ#1 is well aware of that, so why she deliberately withheld that information is beyond me. A capitalized NO makes it look like he was never Mormon. The correct one-line answer is "Not anymore."

Randy was married to a TBM during the Guess Who and BTO years. Tal, their oldest, was named for James Talmadge, author of once influential LDS book Jesus The Christ. Randy was apparently pretty TBM back in the day.

Randy and his current wife Denise have an Oldies program on CBC radio Saturday evenings. He does occasional concerts with Fred Turner and Burton Cummings. He was back in his hometown, Winnipeg, last month to play for a party celebrating the return of NHL hockey to the Peg.

Life goes on after Mormonism. :)

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 09:24PM

I'm not withholding any info. I simply don't remember the specifics and I knew someone else would! :-)

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 09:29PM

He was a Mormon and no longer believes. I don't know if he has resigned. Randy has been fairly reticent and most of what we know comes from Tal and I don't think he ever said whether he formally resigned.Susie q was correct. I don't see that she misrepresented anything >Better that than to print something she isn't sure about.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 09:58PM

Randy was a guest speaker at a Toronto Youth Conference when I was a teen. That was before I was baptized. I'm glad he's out.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 01:15AM

As I recall, Tal was interviewed on the PBS Mormon series.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 02:07AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.