Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 10:40PM

In just a few minutes, 20/20 is going to have a program about a Utah polygamist family. 9pm Mountain time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fincenmib ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 01:06AM

Which one?

Posted by: jolene ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 12:41PM

Here it is, online:

http://abcnews.go.com/2020

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 02:08AM

Watched it. I also bought their book-very interesting. This family seems alot more normal than Cody and his women. You have to feel very sorry for the teenagers-what they go through because of their parents choosing this life style. It will be interesting to see if he actually does go to jail-I doubt it.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 04:12AM

Why feel sorry for the teenagers?

What was the family name?

How many wives and what was the living situation?

Posted by: kristine ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 08:52AM

I thought I heard the last name to be Dooger or something like that. Three wives, 24 kids, and two of the wives are identical twins. The wives have been on various talk shows including Oprah so I've heard of them before. This is the first time the husband has be showed and interviewed. The teenagers were afraid their friends would find out their lifestyle from the tv show and make their lives miserable.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 09:13AM

They don't sound very "normal."

It sounds like the kids have been forced to lie about their weird family all of their lives. Now they'll be publicly ridiculed. Poor kids, as if growing up needed added stress.

Posted by: godesstogodless ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 10:43AM

Saw it. I hate how the women are always like "polygamy makes me a better woman, it helps me overcome jealousy" WTF! I don't know how these people afford to feed all those kids and don't even get me started on the laundry. I'd put a gun to my head.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 11:06AM

To be clear, I don't oppose polyamorous relationships between consenting adults who fulfill their obligations to society and each other. Whatever floats your boat.

However, the kind of jealousy these women are forced to overcome is jealousy that is a product of their relationships in the first place. I don't believe that causing yourself psychological pain and then learning to cope with it is a benefit worth bragging about-- more like a total wash, at best. They've chosen a lifestyle that produces a measure of jealousy in most people with romantic ideas. It's not really something the rest of us have to deal with and I don't count myself as a woman of lesser character for not having had the experience of sharing my husband-- which is what is implied by suggesting that learning to overcome such jealousies makes one a "better woman".

My husband is dealing with some health issues right now. We don't say "Oh, but he's growing emotionally and I'm learning patience and love on a new level..." No. I say, to hell with it, I wish he wasn't sick and that we had our regular lives to deal with. I don't buy the idea that suffering (such as in jealousy) has some redeeming, therapeutic value-- it's just something we have to get through in order to have things we want (survival, sharing a partner, whatever).

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 11:30AM

Good point. These women are in this problematic relationship because of their RELIGIOUS world view. Therefore they have to find the "silver lining" to justify the misery they are putting themselves through. But it is misery just the same.

Posted by: jolene ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 12:33PM

Here's a link for those who missed it last night and are interested. It is on the home page of 20/20. There are 3 parts that will play back to back with a 30 second commercial in-between each segment.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2011 12:34PM by jolene.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 02:08PM

They had a really nice house with a big bedroom and bath for each wife. Hubby doesn't have a bedroom but spends his nights with each wife by assignment. He keeps some clothes in each room. It is all very weird to me. I wonder what would happen if all 3 wives were upset with him and didn't want him in their bed that night.

He must make a lot of money to have that kind of house and be able to feed and clothe that brood!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.