Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Laban's Head forgot her password ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 01:10PM

There are many, many wonderful things about my mother, but here I want to concentrate on her relationship with TSCC.

She was born in Idaho Falls, ID in 1920. Her parents were not Mormons. Most of her cousins were Catholic. So she was raised with religious diversity. She married my father who was a Mormon, but had stopped being involved when he left home to go to college. His mother, my grandmother was very active and that was my link to TSCC. She saw to it that my sisters and I were baptized and thus, forever on the rolls of the righteous!

I became active in my early teens and was UBER active. My, mother through all of this came to my programs, attended church when I was giving a talk and even drove a car load of kids to and from early-morning seminary and to the high school during those years. She patiently waited outside the temple with others who loved me when I was married. She came to church when we blessed our babies. She and my dad came to visit us and did without their alcohol, endured condescending instant coffee and smoked outside.

I came to my senses in my 50’s and am happy to report that none of my children or grandchildren are involved in the church. (When my husband died, he was mostly a NOM.) It was only after I left that my mother shared with me her very negative feelings about and experiences with TSCC.

It was then that I realized how truly supportive and selfless she had been all of those years. She supported me completely in something that personally brought her pain. And she had no reason to think that I would ever leave TSCC. She just supported me unconditionally. So much more than the church teaches.

So tonight I will celebrate her 91st birthday with her and we will drink wine and enjoy. And I will be always grateful for the lessons of tolerance, patience, selflessness and unconditional acceptance she taught me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 01:12PM

She sounds like a wonderful woman. So glad you have her in your life and can cherish these years together!

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 01:15PM

What a wonderful tribute!

Three birthday cheers for your Mom!

Posted by: 2thdoc ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 03:08PM

Wow, what a great example of unconditional love. So very, very different from the way TBM parents try to force and squish their offspring into the one-size-fits-all, predetermined mold found in TSCC.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 05:14PM

What a landmark. It surprises me how many 90-somethings there are nowadays. We can all only hope we should live so long and be so happy.

I had earlier kind of hijacked your, as it appeared to me later, with my own news about my sister's MIL who died yesterday. Sorry about that. I was still a bit upset. I'll miss her because she and I had long talks about the Mormon church. I even got my own facts wrong due to being upset. My sisters kids all got married in the temple, and Norma was shut out of every one of them. It hit her the hardest when her only grand daughter, my niece, got married in the Portland temple. My niece was her only grand daughter, and she never got over this. She saved all her vitriol for me, not wanting to bother the TBM side with this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2011 09:45AM by cludgie.

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 05:27PM

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 06:38PM

I am in that situation now and only hope like your mom my daughter gets out. I don't talk to her about her choice to convert. When I tried to get her to study up she refused. She married into a family where the MIL is super uber Mormon and got her to make the change after she had been married to her son for three yrs. I am impressed with what your mom did for you and am not sure I could wait outside a temple ever. It is nice she could later tell you about all her hurt. Glad she knows your family is safe from the cult.

My mom turned 90 two wks ago and I like you had a big celebration with her. WE are lucky people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2011 06:49PM by honestone.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 07:48PM

Thanks for sharing this tribute.

Posted by: mrs.b ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 10:41PM

Cludgie- I think your sister is my MIL...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.