Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 03:49PM

We had a thread about what you did with your g's when you escaped, but what did you do with your scriptures and other church publications?

Other than my missionary journal (I was the odd one that actually enjoyed my mission) and pedigree charts, I donated them all to the library. Gilt-edged, leather-bound quad.

I also kept my Dutch versions just for the hell of it, now that I think of it.

Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: freegirl10 ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 04:00PM

I actually threw my garments, dress and other temple paraphernalia in the outside trash bin. Did it without ceremony...just said "so long and good riddance".
I threw out all copies of the BOM. My husband thinks we should anonymously donate his beautiful hardbound copy of Jesus the Christ, maybe leave it at the church door? We just finally threw away all his paraphernalia from his calling a couple of years ago...he had a briefcase full of paper and booklets. So glad to be rid of all those loose remnants!

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 04:01PM

And, they've carted that stuff around for almost 10 years.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 07:09PM

I've still got my hardcover Bible and BOM from seminary. Also this big assed book full of lies called The Restored Church that we studied during the year we did D&C and church history.

I don't know why I haven't thrown them out years ago. Other than I'm a packrat and haven't had to move in decades.

Plus it fun to look up some of the lies in Restored Church. For instance did you know that William Law and his brother were plotting to kill JS? I thought it was the other way around. Good thing I had that book to set me straight.

Lots of other downright lies and pioneer hero stories. I think it even has the one where Hyrum's widow gets someone to give her ox a blessing. Warm fuzzy BS.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 12:04AM

The lovely undies went first. I stuffed my bom under my dresser,I tossed my ds's bom in the trash,2 huge black bags of BOM videos were put in the garage. Have no idea what dh did with them. I gave all but a few books to dd-about 100. I do wish I would have kept some-especially the priesthood/relief soc. manuals on church pres. I never read them-but I've heard the one on JS states he had only 1 wife. Dh kept some of his favorites...namely "The Miracle of Forgiveness" I picked it up the other day and was glancing through it. It made me sick to my stomach.

Posted by: Mormer Formon ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 07:12PM

in the dumpster. Sold books on ebay. Threw out the non-saleable stuff. I got over $400 for a Journal of Discourses set....

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 07:15PM

I have the small burgundy leatherbound quad with the snap. I think it's a very cool edition, and I have always loved the binding and pages. Plus I marked it up throughout my mission with many, many references. It's a beautiful book and a great resource.

The rest of that Mormon shit, I threw out.

Posted by: Gwylym ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 07:35PM

I kept all my old books just so I could show proof that they "did" use to teach "that."

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 12:34AM

They were the scripture I got when I turned 8. They were worn to hell because I actually read them. They had pictures in the, from when my family read them as a family. They had glue ins from seminary. Half of them were underlined or highlighted.

I burned them because they represented how much time I wasted in the cult.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.