Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: atheist not logged in ( )
Date: November 21, 2011 09:45PM

Exmo Utahn wrote this article http://www.standard.net/stories/2011/11/21/freedom-rings-loudly-unless-youre-religious#disqus_thread

Looking forward to reading your intelligent responses in the comments section.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wonder woman ( )
Date: November 22, 2011 10:14AM

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: November 22, 2011 02:19PM

I wasn't that impressed with the point the guy was trying to make. Yeah, so some cities don't want approve building churches in their city limits because the property will be tax exempt. And that's wrong to do it the way they have, but if you look at the possible motivation behind their actions, I think there is a problem with the tax laws regarding religion.

Churches are asking for special treatment with the no tax thing. It costs cities money to operate. If churches don't pay their fair share of property taxes, guess what? Somebody ELSE has to. In other words, it pretty much amounts to subsidizing churches.

Personally, I think if churches are to continue to get any kind of free ride, they should be required to open their books and show how they give back to the community.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.