Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: chinoblanco ( )
Date: November 22, 2011 05:47AM

Not politics (really) just amused by some of the quotable quotes in this latest WP Romney write-up...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/campaigns/in-boston-mitt-romney-evolved-in-mormon-leadership-some-churchwomen-say/2011/11/17/gIQAMOoWjN_story.html

Mitt was very anti-Exponent II ... thought we were just a bunch of bored, unhappy housewives.

Church elders then demanded that Claudia Bushman, the editor of Exponent II, "shut the newspaper down."

During one meeting with the church’s women’s relief society, he encouraged the wives of his peers to look after less fortunate families in the congregation, but advised that the culture shock might be difficult for them. “ ‘Sometimes, people are wearing polyester in Medford,’ ” Dredge recalled Romney as saying. “I thought, ‘Oh my God.’ ”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: November 22, 2011 08:24AM

An interesting article - worth the read.

And the Morg-Squad is jumping in with plenty of faith-defense in the comments ..

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: November 22, 2011 08:54AM

What does he mean by, "Sometimes, people are wearing polyester"? I honestly don't get it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2011 08:54AM by imalive.

Posted by: NEanon ( )
Date: November 22, 2011 09:17AM

It's an upper-middle to upper class prep school mentality. They have a strong bias toward natural fibers (cotton, wool, and silk) for their clothing and bed linens.

I attended Belmont High School during the time period in question. There were poor people in Belmont as well, but Romney probably never noticed them. My family had gone through financial reversals, and my clothing was often patched. Not one kid ever said a word to me about it, including Bushman's kids. They were far too polite (and fundamentally kind) to do so. Evidently not Romney. I can't imagine him saying something like that in a semi-public setting. Arrogant and rude!

Posted by: wings ( )
Date: November 22, 2011 09:09AM

From the WP article:

"It was sometimes terrifying, because Salt Lake started excommunicating all these people", Taylor said."

I know this happened ;)

Posted by: chinoblanco ( )
Date: November 22, 2011 08:05PM

300+ comments down the ol' memory hole. That's disappointing to see happen at the WaPo but it seems that they don't hold their commenters in very high regard.

Oops... meant to be in reply to 3X below.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2011 08:06PM by chinoblanco.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: November 22, 2011 04:37PM

Sometime this afternoon, the WaPo flushed all 300+ comments to the article, and reset the "universe".

There are now about 85 new comments ...

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: November 22, 2011 04:41PM

Reports from Mormon women and others who observed Romney’s behavior during his tenure as a young LDS bishop say that he expressed opposition to divorce, advised older Mormon women who were dating against engaging in premarital sex and was leery of independent-thinking Mormon housewives whom he viewed as troublemakers.

He was also described as a strict commander when it came to determining the individual worthiness of members of his ward flock to enter Mormon temples and participate in its rituals.

He is said to have warned members of his ward that in helping the poor, they might experience the culture of shock of realizing that some in their care wore polyester.

He reportedly ordered members of his ward not to view “anti-Mormon” movies.

He also, according to a published personal account by a Mormon woman, opposed what was deemed as a medically-necessary abortion for a member in his ward, and was of the opinion that a woman’s place was in the home.

His performance as bishop led to Romney subsequently being “called” (the Mormon term for appointed) to the higher office of stake president.

He was reported to not enjoy working with “headstrong” women and was said to be of the opinion that showing sympathy to their needs and requests would get him in trouble with the Mormon hierarchy in Salt Lake City.

There is also a rumor that Romney donated the organ for the Belmont Mormon temple.

On the other hand, those who have observed and worked with Romney over the years say that they have seen him grow, change and become more mature in his views.

Romney is said to have declined to comment for the article.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/campaigns/in-boston-mitt-romney-evolved-in-mormonleadership-some-churchwomen-say/2011/11/17/gIQAMOoWjN_singlePage.html

Posted by: NEanon ( )
Date: November 22, 2011 05:20PM

Belmont is located right outside of Cambridge. Within fifteen minutes or less, you can drive from Belmont Hill to Harvard Yard. Thus it has always been a favored domicile for professors at Harvard and other elite universities. The Harvard professors (at least at the time) felt perfectly comfortable sending their offspring to the excellent public schools there. There was also a well-regarded private school in town. Belmont was something of an intellectual hothouse.

Romney wasn't dealing with dummies, not by a longshot. I can imagine just how ticked off the women under his stewardship would have been. These are not women who would gladly tolerate fools or asshats.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 22, 2011 06:19PM

interesting Spin on how he's 'changed'; evidently FROM somewhat of a PH ASSHAT... but: to what, ChurchWise?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.