Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Staring you down ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 05:40PM

Does any tithing go to the poor or just the fast offering ? I remember that there was an unemployed couple in our ward that received some financial assistance. Did that come out of fast offering or tithing ? My suspicion is that none of the tithing goes to the poor but only fast offering, but I could be wrong.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: November 15, 2010 07:18PM

Posted by: gannosu ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 07:25PM

Others know more about this but from everything I've read. Tithing is used for the general expenses of the church, (like the comforts of the GAs, nevermind that, I'm bitter.) And Fast Offerings are for the welfare projects, which I believe is true.

Date: November 15, 2010 07:29PM

So sadly enough I was right then. Not a single cent of tithing profits (after subtracting the expenses) goes to the poor but is being used for investments such as stocks, bonds etc.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 07:48PM

"So sadly enough I was right then. Not a single cent of tithing profits (after subtracting the expenses) goes to the poor but is being used for investments such as stocks, bonds etc."

Supposedly, Fast Offerings goes to help the poor in the ward; Tithing goes for world-wide and local church expenses. Tithing is not used for investments. Investment money that has built up over time is used for further investments.

Posted by: Crathe ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 07:37PM

Tithing is remitted to SLC HQ,and disappears into the memory hole. No local accountability or visability.

Fast Offerings stay local, and are controlled locally, within certain guidelines.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 07:39PM

I should note that ward and stake budgets come out of tithing. So, you remit $1mm per ward (good ward) and you get back $7.65 per member in the ward (amount depends on stake, revenue sharing from SLC, etc.

In the old days, you paid your own budget contribution, but controlled it locally. Now you pay in a damn forture, and get back a pittance. Yes, in theory the total amount paid went down, but control went up substantially more.

Posted by: matchesmalone ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 08:06PM

Yes, investment money isn't tithing money NOW, but at one time in the past, it was all tithing money. To me, that means its still tithing money, and its sick that members' hard-earned cash has gone to amassing wealth for the Morg

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 09:18PM

Tithing, Fast Offering and Humanitarian Aid are completely separate line items on the donation slip.

Posted by: quoth the raven "nevermo" ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 11:43PM

Are fast offerings on top of tithing?

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 12:26AM

You're supposed to pay whatever the meal you're fasting from would have costed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.