Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 11:34PM

I told my best friend that he was welcome to come to the hospital, to visit me. However, I wanted no religious items brought into my room. I asked him and his wife to remove their garments to come and visit me. They both refused. Their underwear is more important to them then visiting me. Typical mormon friends. The cult wins again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: downsouth ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 11:52PM

So are you really His friend then if you're asking him to denounce what he believes in for your sake? If he's really your friend, then accept him for who he is.
What if he said "wear the garments or you can't be our friend"?
Seems to me, he accepted the apostate in you.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 12:17AM

Good luck on your surgery, but I have to agree with downsouth. What a person wears under their clothes is their own business. I would call 'em back and tell them you were being unreasonable.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 12:08AM

Concentrate on relaxing and healing. Don't let the things that aggravate you around you for a while.

Sounds like you are fairly volatile regarding religion (understandably). Over time it will be easier to ignore it in your real life in situations like this. I don't blame you for not wanting the silliness around you when something so serious is going on in your life. Think mellow.

I remember being in the hospital a few years ago and some chaplain type came into my room. He began blathering away about religion. Sheesh. It was the last thing I wanted to deal with. Practice saying you want to rest and send visitors on their way.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 12:11AM

Of course they refused; that's really quite a strange request. If you're going to be that extreme about religious items in the room, then you probably shouldn't invite any religious people.

Good luck with your surgery.

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 12:15AM

Although I'm not really sure why your worries about your friends underwear.

Focus on your health instead.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 12:47AM

Good luck with your surgery and I hope you were kidding about the garments.You have a right to ask them to leave their holy oil and scriptures at home, but their undies are really not your business.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 12:54AM

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 01:13AM

If your hospital admission procedures are like ours, one of the admission questions they ask is "What religion are you?"

This came as quite a jolt to me the first time I was hospitalized after leaving the church. I couldn't quite bring myself to say "atheist," but I said "I'm not religious."

At least I wasn't bothered by any religious busybodies during my stay.

Take care!

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 01:22AM

When I was pre-registered for my back surgery, they asked what my religious preference was. I replied that I was atheist.(Note, this was a Catholic hospital.) The lady on the other end laughed and then replied under her breath, "Ok so none," while she was filling it out. Seriously?

And because she refused to put down my preference, I was harassed by the hospital chaplain several times. (And yes, I do mean harassed. I clarified that I was an atheist several times when they were checking me in and asked again what my religious preference was.) Someone who is coming off of anesthesia shouldn't have to consistently tell the chaplain over, and over, and over again that I'm an atheist and want to be left alone by the religious folk in the hospital. One even had the gall to stand there watching me puke (thank you anesthesia sickness) to ask me specifically if I was an atheist because clearly my fiancé couldn't know that. (Since he did tell the chaplain the second he walked in.)

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 01:22AM

I have to say that when ever I have been in a hospital, I didn't give a squat what the people that came and visited me wore. The last think on my mind while I was in the hospital was "Gee, I wonder what kind of underwear my visitor is wearing." Indeed, the friends that did come and visit were the ones I would hang with when I got out. I figured, these are the people willing to support me in bad times, these are the people that are true friends, who cares what underwear they put on, they have proven themselves are friends.

If your friends were willing to come and visit you but you demanded they change how they dress, you are the one that is being unreasonable.

Posted by: downsouth ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 09:25AM

Okay, so I've had a night to sleep on this. Maybe we were all missing your point.

"You guys remove your underwear before coming to see me." Kinda kinky but hey, is his wife hot?

Hope the surgery goes well.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 09:38AM

Good luck with your surgery.

Dude! That's about as cold as it gets asking them to de-g. Turn the table. If they were in the hospital and you wanted to come visit and they asked you to wear g's and bring a Bishop for a blessing, what would YOUR response be?

Again, good luck with your surgery.

Ron

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 10:01AM

Good luck with your surgery. I have a friend who has done well these 7 months after his surgery.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 10:03AM

I haven't done much hospital time, but when I do, I don't want visitors. I look like s**t and feel like s**t. Not exactly the way I prefer to greet folks.

As far as underwear goes, I'm generally not interested in what brand anyone wears. Hokay, Beloved's got some cool stuff, but other than that ...

Timothy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 10:58AM by Timothy.

Posted by: freedomissweet ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 10:53AM

Good luck with your surgery. I know someone that went in for a triple bypass and ended up have a quad bypass. He was so well after recouping, that he couldn't believe how much easier it was when he went out for a walk.

He's still doing fine.

Concentrate on getting well. There will be time enough later to try and put the morg right.

Best wishes

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 10:59AM

My uncle had a quad bypass and has been much, much healthier, active and happy since then. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised once you start recovering. Gratz to you for your new, energetic life. :)

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 11:03AM

in the past, I thought you were either making a joke, or making it clear you didn't want any of your LDS friends to visit you so you made that off the wall comment!! Frankly, I laughed when I first read it~!
Anyhow... Best Wishes for a successful surgery! And may your doctor wear the right undies so he doesn't mess up! :-)

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 11:04AM

You're all funny and great. My point is this, when a person loves their underwear, more than anything in this world, their spouses, their children, their friends, I have to wonder is it dedication to principals, or to a cult.

I've made it very clear that I want no Catholics sprinkling me with holy water, or showing up in Nunn costumes or priest collars, Jewish chants or aprons, Muslims with their Davy Crockett hats, or any small statues of buddha. I want absolutely no religious objects or reminders while I am recovering. I think that my right. Jesus is not doing my operation, Mohammed, buddha, we'll all be absent. If people are going to visit me it is gonna be on my terms. I don't want mormon priesthood blessings or in any pay lay ale mumbo jumbo. My point is this. I will decide who will walk through the valley of death with me. The garments are a reminder of the pain and suffering that have already experienced. I don't need that reminder of suffering while trying to survive a pain and suffering of bypass surgery. I guess it's just me, but if I never see another pair of garments, it will be too soon. I am choosing to suffer bypass surgery, but I never chose to suffer the way the cult has made me suffer. I don't need prayers, just an excellent surgeon. Thanks for your well wishes, this board has saved my life, just like the surgeon is going to do tomorrow.

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 11:27AM

Good luck on your surgery. Hey we're all in the process of dealing with the frustration and anger that comes from the realization that we were duped by a God forsaken cult. Like you, I wouldn't want any self righteous morgbots visiting me in the hospital, esp with that ol' "eternal smile" blazing through their clothing. It would make my blood pressure run high. I took your request as merely a precaution you were exercising in your acute cardio-comprised state. I doubt you would have had a problem outside of this hospital setting.

In my experience, morgbot visitors in that setting aren't there to comfort, but rather to judge. I KNOW they would say or do something self righteous to piss me off, my BP would rise, and then those cardio monitor alarms would start going off, nurses would come running in, etc. Its not worth it. Most morgbots have no clue how in how to act in socially acceptable way, outside their paradigm, in dealing with ex-mo's. If I were you, I wouldn't let any morgbot set one foot inside your hospital room.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 11:30AM

My S.O. had a triple bypass last February and it all went well. He recovered quickly and without incident and I wish the same for you.

Posted by: SaviorSelf ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 11:42AM

But on the other hand, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.