Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: November 30, 2011 02:01PM

I’m going and would love to meet any other disaffected mormons in the Las Vegas area.

Here is a description of the event:
Many sociologists have done research looking at religious conversion, but very little has been done looking specifically at the deconversion process. What backgrounds to religious apostates tend to share? What common experiences lead to apostatizing, and are there noticeable differences between the deconversion experiences between atheists and agnostics?

What research was done on the process 15-20 years ago showed apostasy was a negative social and emotional experience, but does that still hold? And if not, what's the difference? Lori Fazzino, PhD student in UNLV's department of Sociology and member of the SSA at UNLV, is doing research exploring these very questions. Come see her discuss her present study, looking specifically at apostates of Evangelical Christianity.

Her presentation will start promptly at 1pm, and stick around for an audience Q&A. This event is free and open to the public.

***Parking Note*** All metered and staff parking spaces are free on Sundays. Below is a link to a campus map. The best access to the Marjorie Barrick Museum (labeled "MSM" on the map) is to enter on Harmon Ave from Swenson. Take Harmon as far as it will take you, and the museum is on your right. If the lot right next to the museum is full, there is another lot right behind the Lied Library. http://go.unlv.edu/as...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: TeslaCoil ( )
Date: November 30, 2011 05:09PM

What room will the presentation be held in? The link is dead. If I can figure it out, I'd love to attend.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 30, 2011 05:17PM

I'm in Vegas next week (Monday through Thursday night).

So, I can't do the Sunday thing.

Are there other get togethers?

Date: December 01, 2011 05:44PM

Lord Raptoer: I would love to meet you if you have time to spare. Lunch? Drinks? Let me know. Your posts/blogs have been most entertaining.

I still quote the draft resignation letter: "Yo Dodge, it has come to my attention..."

An all time classic.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: December 01, 2011 06:11PM

lord.raptor.isgod@gmail.com

Posted by: themosthappy ( )
Date: November 30, 2011 08:21PM

I would love more info too -- as Tesla said, the link isn't working.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: November 30, 2011 11:05PM

Will there be a call at the end for people to come down to the front to be unsaved?

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: December 01, 2011 02:34AM

that's a fascinating research topic. How do people deconvert - can it be explained beyond individual anecdotal stories?

Date: December 01, 2011 05:41PM

Here is the working link--sorry about the other one: http://go.unlv.edu/assets/maps/flash/main.html

I'm not sure what room--i'm thinking there will be a notice there or something.

Date: December 03, 2011 01:57PM

It is going to be in the Auditorium. I'm hoping other exmos will come. email me at mebacougar@gmail.com

Posted by: Vegasmonomo ( )
Date: December 06, 2011 10:55AM

How's about a red rock breakfast buffet one of these days for the Vegas exmo's. 5 bucks.....tasty......and best with good company.

Date: December 06, 2011 11:19AM

I'm right by Red Rocks so i'm in for that idea--what day/time would work for folks?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.