Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: November 30, 2011 02:47PM

There's more discussion of this issue in this thread:
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,354317

Someone in the other thread brought up the issue of tactics the church normally uses when threatened with lawsuits. I'd like to hear about some of those tactics.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 05:22PM

Scientology does the same thing. Big corporations do the paper whirlwind too. It's a cheap, as in low, but effective tactic.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 08:49PM

"The Sins of Brother Curtis" by Lisa Davis

The Morg paid big bucks to expensive lawyers (our tithing money at work!) in their attempt to cover up for a Mormon pedophile. They knew he had molested children but made no attempt to protect the children in the wards he was in!

Years went by and their were many victims before someone finally decided to sue the church.

Posted by: mcarp ( )
Date: November 30, 2011 04:16PM

Some of the tactics used:

* Claim priest-penitent privilege to prevent a bishop from testifying about what he knew and when. They really overstep their bounds because the privilege is intended to protect a person who confesses to his clergy from being convicted on that confession. But, in this case, the church's attorneys used it to prevent information that was given to bishops by the parents of the abused and that is not what the law intended to protect.

* "Death by a thousand paper cuts." Writing a brief or motion or responding to the same is time-consuming and expensive. A one-man, solo attorney practice cannot hope to compete with Kirten-McConkie and their staff of hundreds. So, the church cranks out the paperwork that requires the plaintiff to respond and then they hope that the other party just gives up or settles.

Those are the main things, but there were others. I'll respond more when I have more time.

Date: November 30, 2011 05:01PM

Thanks, mcarp. I had heard of Church lawyers using the clergy privilege defense before. They used it in cases involving abuse of Boy Scouts.

But I hadn't heard about the "death by a thousand paper cuts" defense. Figures. To the tithing-supported Church, spending millions of dollars to pay flocks of lawyers to churn out paperwork is worth it if it keeps the LDS reputation unsullied.

I also remember reading something (again, in the Boy Scout cases) about the LDS Church doing almost anything in order to avoid revealing its own finances. Finances, I think, must be revealed in civil cases where the plaintiff is suing for reparation. This means that the Church pays people off to keep itself out of court battles that would be too revealing. When it pays people off, it also gets to claim that no guilt was established, and that Church leaders were just trying to spare the victim more psychological trauma.

Snakes in the grass. Hundreds of 'em.

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: November 30, 2011 04:32PM

" The man told her that while it was a ‘sin for others to act in such a way’, it was not for him as he ‘worthy and had been chosen by God’. She also that he tried to convince her that ‘everything he did manifested through the holy spirit’. "

sounds like a true joseph smith follower to me..

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: November 30, 2011 05:13PM

probably what happened is he and she were fooling around with the hopes he would marry her and bring her back to the states. When she got dumped, she got pissed (not the British term for drunk), and she's now trying to get back at him.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: November 30, 2011 06:25PM

Is it because she's Irish or just because she's female?

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: November 30, 2011 06:36PM

Nah, what probably happened was that she was dressed like a ho and asking for it. Sheesh!

Posted by: Elaine Dalton ( )
Date: December 01, 2011 06:29AM

Talk about making an assumption drilldoc, and an offensive one at that.

Date: December 01, 2011 11:33AM

just a possible scenario.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: December 01, 2011 01:37PM

Date: December 02, 2011 11:46AM

most likely what happened.

Posted by: Erin go Brágh ( )
Date: December 01, 2011 06:43AM

May the Goddamn Mormons leave Ireland.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: December 01, 2011 11:45AM

Just like the snakes.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 30, 2011 06:20PM

It would still legally have been rape, what with the age difference and his position as her missionary.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 30, 2011 06:48PM

The poor girl suffered abuse and was threatened and demeaned by several layers of mormon "authority." How awful!

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: December 01, 2011 11:42AM

Doesn't make her less of a victim but it does make more sense

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 10:09PM

I agree it could be a scenario. What are the odds to have one elder stand watch while the other commits the crime. Two twisted elders just so happened to be partners?

Posted by: European View ( )
Date: December 01, 2011 01:40PM

Jesus Christ, I've just been sucked down a wormhole into the fifties.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: December 01, 2011 04:14PM

Dude! Sorry, but he can't help you there.

Ron

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: December 01, 2011 05:51PM

"The man told her that while it was a ‘sin for others to act in such a way’, it was not for him as he ‘worthy and had been chosen by God’. She also that he tried to convince her that ‘everything he did manifested through the holy spirit’.

The missionary also told the girl that ‘dreadful things’ would happen to her if she told anyone of the abuse."

Date: December 02, 2011 12:42PM

The Salt Lake Tribune still hasn't picked up this story. It does not appear in their "LDS Church" section of the news.

Odd.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 07:27AM

Nope, nor has the Deseret News.

I suspect they are waiting to see if it goes to court or wether the Church settles using a confidentialty compromise agreement before that, as per all the Scouts abuse cases in the US.

Posted by: ipseego ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 09:19AM

This is strange - is that the official name of the Mormon church in Ireland: "the Church elder who served as a missionary in Ireland for the Irish Association of the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints Ltd."?

I mean the letters Ltd.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.