Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jw the inquizzinator ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 11:46AM

From "Our Heritage: A Brief History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. A Period of Trials and Testing"

"The Manifesto"

"As the 1880s drew to a close, the United States government passed additional laws that deprived those who practiced plural marriage of the right to vote and serve on juries and severely restricted the amount of property the Church could own. Latter-day Saint families suffered as even more fathers went into hiding. President Woodruff pleaded with the Lord for guidance. On the evening of 23 September 1890, the prophet, acting under inspiration, wrote the Manifesto, a document that ended plural marriage for Church members. The Lord showed President Woodruff in vision that unless the practice of plural marriage was ended, the United States government would take over the temples, thus ending work for the living and the dead."

"On 24 September 1890, the First Presidency and the Quorum of Twelve Apostles sustained the Manifesto. The Saints approved it in the October 1890 general conference. Today this document is included in the Doctrine and Covenants as Official Declaration 1."

"Following the Church’s action, federal officials issued pardons to Latter-day Saint men convicted of violating the antipolygamy laws and much of the persecution stopped. But, as President Woodruff explained: “I should have let all the temples go out of our hands; I should have gone to prison myself, and let every other man go there, had not the God of heaven commanded me to do what I did do; and when the hour came that I was commanded to do that, it was all clear to me. I went before the Lord, and I wrote what the Lord told me to write” (“Excerpts from Three Addresses by President Wilford Woodruff Regarding the Manifesto,” included after Official Declaration—1). God, not the United States Congress, brought about the official discontinuance of plural marriage."

http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=74d2c106dac20110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=5158f4b13819d110VgnVCM1000003a94610aRCRD

----------------------------------------------------------------

Why do I hear "brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin"...for all you Monty Python fans.

What a crock! This this the super bowl of Cog-Dis.

How the hell did I ever believe that crap.....sheeeesh.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 12:50PM

Hail to the man who communes with Jehovah, Jesus he's so full of shit and it stinks....

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 03:13PM

Let me pick a few.

Let’s see, “acting under inspiration”, “the god of heaven commanded me to do what I did do”, “I wrote what the Lord commanded me to write”.

This all sounds like direct communication with God to me. Can anyone say revelation? So God told him what to write and but called it a “Manifesto” and not a “direct commandment or direct revelation”.

God, not the United States Congress, brought about the official discontinuance of plural marriage."

Really! Is that why we support and practice in principle plural marriage in canonized scripture and in the temples in the modern day practice of plural marriage in the sealing of men to multiple women who will be their plural wives as the modern day prophets have testified to?

Apparently Wilfred’s direct communication with God didn’t actually mean squat. “God, not the United States Congress, brought about the official discontinuance of plural marriage."

God discontinued plural marriage BUT IT DID NOT STOP. So is it the “worlds” misunderstanding of gospel principles or, pathetic excuses given by a hypocritical authoritarian regime. If gospel principles are suppose to be so damned “simple” then why are reams of dogma taught by the LDS church so unbelievably complicated and because of these complications members ask for clarification then get told “we don’t know, it will all be clear in the afterlife, just have faith”. How the he!! does this excuse make what was supposed to be simple, uncomplicated or clear or simple?

And then there is this:

“The Saints approved it in the October 1890 general conference.”

What? This makes it look like the “Saints” have final approval and make it all “authoritative”. Was this a recommendation by god to be “approved” by the membership? We all know that raising your hand to sustain anything in church carries no authority whatsoever and is nothing more than a show of obedience and not an official “approval” of anything.

Don’t even get me started on the timing of the whole debacle or the fact that groups were deliberately sent to Canada and Mexico to continue the practice of plural marriage. IF GOD HAD DISCONTINUED PLURAL MARRIAGE, THEN WHY DID IT NOT DISCONTINUE EVERYWHERE?

Thou shalt not bear false witness.
(unless you’re a prophet protecting the practice of plural marriage, if you look real close just under this commandment you can see the caveat written really small and if you turn you head just so and squint a little…………)

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 03:23PM

after1890? I'm sure I remember reading that. Quinn maybe?
Or at least that the evidence strongly points to it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.