Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: December 03, 2011 08:19PM

They have never done this before. There was a post about this a while back. I didn't think too much of it until today. They have hired a contractor to build the nativity structure that will be going on the front lawn.

I can't help but wonder if these are going to be popping up at stake centers every where this year. They are trying to look more christian. They most likely need more income, and they have to get Mitt elected.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: December 03, 2011 08:21PM

Who will be cutting the umbilical cord? Elohim or Joseph?

Posted by: Veritas ( )
Date: December 03, 2011 08:30PM

I pass two LDS chapels on my way to and from work. One had a nativity scene last year. The other is doing it this year and has a sign up about it. Seems like a ploy to mainstream.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 03, 2011 08:34PM

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: December 03, 2011 08:52PM

don't know a tyrannosaur from a raptor.....raptor jesus was that you threatening that little baby?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 03, 2011 08:48PM

Just kidding. No they won't.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 06, 2011 07:26PM

They've been doing it at the East Lethbridge Stake Centre for years....and freezin' their righteous asses off most years...and I've taken the time to stop a take it in exactly ZERO times......

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: December 06, 2011 07:27PM

Except of course, for the fact that they are NOT normal and definitely not like the rest of us.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: December 06, 2011 07:31PM

Funny, but around here live nativity scenes are strictly the province of the (as I've learned Mormons refer to it) "Church of the Devil." :-)

Next thing you know they'll be lighting an advent wreath and having incense....

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: December 06, 2011 08:00PM

Is this really that unusual? I don't remember any live nativities (but I was in Idaho so they would likely have ended up frozen in place until March) but I remember nativities in every other form as ubiquitous. I remember some people getting upset about angels with wings ("Real angels don't have wings!") but they all seemed to love nativities otherwise. I don't understand what is so shocking about this.

Posted by: Yaqoob ( )
Date: December 06, 2011 08:28PM

This IS unusual! And when you read other posts this week indicating that TBMs are having advent candle lighting ceremonies it really makes me think they are trying to reach out in catholic/Protestant ways. (This stuff has to have leadership buy in!) I've seen the ones with fake mannequins dressed up in Bush league rags, but these live nativity sciences REEK of serious evangelical hog wash. Since not much the church does is neato to me, this just makes me scratch my head.

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: December 06, 2011 09:58PM

Back in my mo-days or mo-daze should you prefer ('50s and 60's) the church did not do cretches any more than we were allowed to wear crosses. In the late 80's I was amazed to see one on Temple Square. In '57 our ward did have a special presentation for christmas but it was only done on MIA night (YM /YW I guess it is now).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.