Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: December 05, 2011 07:24PM

I read the MP's entry. I feel horrible for the families of the 2 kids...

That said, I found a few things interesting.

1. The GA didn't postpone his interview
2. The MP chastised people who heard the news for calling to check on their own missionary friends/relatives while specifics were unknown.

What stuck out to y'all?

http://texastrayners.blogspot.com/2011/12/it-was-best-of-days-and-worst-of-days.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2011 07:25PM by Lost Mystic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 05, 2011 07:29PM

What stuck out to me was that he was an idiot way out of his depth.

>Former missionaries ignored rules and sent text messages to missionaries in the field...

Yeah. How dare they? Idiot.

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: December 05, 2011 07:50PM

"...wonderful funeral..."

That just hurts.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: December 05, 2011 07:51PM

I'm wondering why the injured missionary was discharged from the hospital when still in such obvious pain and bleeding....

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: December 05, 2011 07:59PM

He's lucky he got to the hospital at all! If there hadn't have been fatalities, the MP might have pressured him to wait it out.

One missionary in the area I lived in complained of severe nausea and abdominal pain. He asked 3 days in a row to go to the hospital but the MP refused. Finally, when the mish could no longer walk, was severely vomiting and running a high fever, he was given reluctant permission to go.

His appendix had ruptured and he was septic. Was in the hospital for 2 weeks. He almost died.

Posted by: jaxxtraxx ( )
Date: December 05, 2011 08:13PM

"Look, Hes OUR MIRACLE, the Lord spared him!"

...parades him around the mission as a testament of God's Mercy...

If God actually cared he would have saved them or raised the dead ones up from the dead with his Priesthood POWER. Especially in an age where miracles are suppose to never cease except when faith ceases. Shame on you God. Shame on you.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: December 05, 2011 08:05PM

The worst part is that they had to stick around to provide a ride for the GA! Surely there were members who could have given him a ride! Or the APs or a Zone Leader. Or God Forbid! He could have called a taxi!!

I bet the missionaries were probably riding their bikes at night in the dark. We will probably also hear that it was a drunk driver.

And yes I also agree that the MP would be upset about missionaries breaking the rules by texting each other.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: December 05, 2011 08:27PM

"One of our office couples, and good friends, the Rios’ (who had come to Laredo to inspect vehicles) followed closely behind."

So why didn't one car leave quickly to return and the other wait for the GA.

But oh, it didn't matter because the GA decided to stay and not return.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: December 05, 2011 08:06PM

"I wanted to know the names of the missionaries involved- Elders Strong, Walker and Harris. We were a three and a half hour drive away and a General Authority was counting on us. I felt helpless." Sister Trayner

"...and a General Authority was counting on us." Excuse the hell out of me, but he could go fuck himself if he did not understand the seriousness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2011 08:26PM by dthenonreligious.

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: December 05, 2011 08:25PM

Compassion is no where to be found in that religion.

Pay, Pray, Obey.

Date: December 05, 2011 10:22PM

Those young men were also counting on her. The MP and his wife are supposed to be these elders surogate parents in the field. The hospital staff likely delayed medical treatment waiting to hear from the MP. Does this woman think Christ would have wanted her to wait? Is the comfort and schedule of the GA so important that nothing can disturb it? How selfish and uncompassionate this makes him appear.

Posted by: barney ( )
Date: December 05, 2011 09:14PM

OK. All of the ass-hattery listed above times two. But another thing stuck out to me, the MP's wife received permission to leave the mission to help her daughter-in-law? How many missionaries have been denied the opportunity to return home to say goodbye to dying family members, attend funerals, etc? They can't even TALK to their relatives but twice a year. Wow.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: December 06, 2011 03:09AM

Exactly what I thought. Excuse me? She gets to go where? And the missionaries get to phone home for about 2 hours is 365 days.

The article made me sick. 'Good day,Bad day' How could ANYTHING about that day be talked about as good after the tragic accident.

Why didn't they just honor the 2 young men. Not as missionaries,but as 2 sons that died way to young. Let's hear about their lives,school etc. No....we must talk about how wonderful the mormon church is.

Read the comments?

Posted by: jolene ( )
Date: December 05, 2011 09:26PM

I had not heard about the missionary death "check list" - I was disgusted that it specifically mentioned being available to the press. Public relations is the first principle of the gospel.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: December 05, 2011 10:17PM

Just because we've left Mormonism does not mean we have to nitpick everything Mormons do.

Just let these people grieve and move on.

T-Bone

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: December 05, 2011 10:19PM

Their actions are deplorabel in regards to the welfare of the Missionaries. If you have not read the rest of the blog you are missing out on a similar incident in October. No lives were lost but there is a clear dislike for the Missionaries that needs to be addressed.

Date: December 05, 2011 10:28PM

Part of the outrage is because the MP's wife put the transportation needs of a GA over the agonizing pain and suffering of three missionaries. Parents enturst their childrens lives to these people. They should act like concerned parents not chauffers.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: December 06, 2011 07:32AM

+1

and if you cant see why it's an issue, T-Bone, I pity you

Posted by: BYU 30th Ward Member 1992-1993 ( )
Date: December 06, 2011 12:56AM

All I could think about upon reading this was the year after my mission. Within days of getting off my mission I was in Provo, Utah to start school at BYU and return to my old dorm hall - Penrose Hall in Heritage Halls. Our senior residence couple was Jason & Cindy Walker who lived in an apartment in neighboring Maeser Hall right next door to my sister and they had a baby boy. I remember that the first day of school was FHE night and their son's first birthday. This baby quickly became a darling subject of attention by many of the girls in our Ward. That was 19 years ago so he just turned 20. But this darling subject of attention that year will never be a RM at BYU or ever know how duped he was in life. He died because the organization he was working for voluntarily was sending him out to work at night without proper 21st century transportation because they're a bunch of cheapskates. If they would've had a car like any normal organization would provide or require then he might still be alive. But they didn't and now he's dead. I feel bad for Jason and Cindy. May they be comforted and may their son rest in peace.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: December 06, 2011 02:54AM

Throughout the report, she sounds like a bunny caught in a headlight to me.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 06, 2011 03:22AM

Interestingly the Mormon Church promotes the belief that if you are on the Lord's errand you are entitled to His protection.
I guess the Mormon Lord picks and chooses.

The MP gave the credit to the Lord for sparing one of the Missionaries. I wonder if the families of the other two Missionaries who were killed have asked Him just what the hell was wrong with saving their kids as well?

Posted by: quatermass ( )
Date: December 06, 2011 07:13AM

... the two dead missionaries died because they were needed to do missionary work over on 'the other side.

The time is getting so short now, don't forget.

And if anything, the dead missionaries are better off than they were before, due to the extra blessings they will receive.

This kind of spin has been used a great many times before.

With regard to the Mps wife, someone asked "Does this woman think Christ would have wanted her to wait?" The answer to that question is "yes, absolutely"!

Posted by: Baltnevermo ( )
Date: December 06, 2011 09:34AM

Reading this thread just sickened me. As an outsider, only somewhat familiar with the system, it seems that the mission president and his wife shirked their duties. I mean, if I were the visiting bigwig and found out that they had stayed for my sake instead of rushing out to take care of the situation, I'd be furious!

And who was there advocating for the kid who survived while he was in the hospital? I'm sure he got some pain medication, so who was there to help make decisions and take the discharge instructions? Other 19 year olds?

I also hope he is able to get proper medical follow-up. It is my understanding that it's not always possible to get good xrays right after an accident like this. I had a friend who had a bike accident and the ER xrays didn't show everything because they couldn't get her arm in the right position to get good pictures. So she had to follow up with an orthopedist and she had broken her elbow pretty severely and had to have surgery.

I guess the biggest thing is I don't understand how the parents can stand for this nonsense. It's one thing to them to live frugally, on a budget, it's another thing for things to be dangerous.

Posted by: holistic ( )
Date: December 06, 2011 10:31AM

That lady, the MP's wife made me noxious. She is so consumed in the thinking of "They are MY missionaries, and this doesn't happen on my clock." The Mormons gross me out and their claims of missionary work on the other side. What missionary work on the other side... like when you die you will be hoping other spirits will accept the gospel because you are there to show them something they don't already know? I hate that lame excuse of why everything is just fine and it's all in Heavenly Father's plan.

This was a really sad story, and it illustrates how delusional they are. I also loved how the MP had all his callings listed on the side of the blog. No one cares, except you...now go eat some more chilli.

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: December 06, 2011 12:08PM

Why would anyone blog about this at all? This was a tragic accident, and is not appropriate(sp?) subject matter for a blog.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: December 06, 2011 12:19PM

"We hoped that communication would improve, yet I found that I received more news from my sons in Dallas and Salt Lake than what I could obtain in Texas."

I thought Dallas was in Texas?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.