Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Bob...not registered ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 05:14PM

Interesting dynamic to play out in republican politics.

Someone posted a satire about Romney needing to have an affair in order to be considered for pres.

So, it looks like its Gingrich...Lutheran-Baptist-Catholic, and three times married, many times adulterer for the republican nomination. If he implodes, the next 2 in line to surge are Paul and Huntsman. Paul can't surge because both parties fear him terribly.

Huntsman hasn't had a surge yet, but if Gingrich implodes, he will.

That would be fascinating. Huntsman admits his mormon roots, but has essentially left the church behind. Those of us on the board know that it takes a lot of courage and character to leave a religion. Unlike Romney, Huntsman has actually shown that character. Interestingly, republican primary voters detest mormonism, and may look more favorably at someone who left the church (Huntsman) as opposed to someone who remained in the church (Romney).

I'm not petitioning for any candidate...not at all, but wouldn't it be interesting if the electorate viewed leaving mormonism (huntsman) more favorably than staying in mormonism (Romney) as to a candidates character?

With the christian right's pull in the primaries, it seems like they should run screaming from Gingrich for character issues, be scared of Romney because his character is too strong and he makes the rest of them hypocrites, and look at Huntsman as a well-informed, real person?

I'm sorry if this is too political. If it is, delete it.

But the main point is whether the rest of the world views leaving the church as better than staying in it.

Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: snb ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 05:31PM

A lot of people on this board feel that since Huntsman hasn't given up Mormonism completely, that he hasn't shown that kind of courage. However, I agree with you, it is fairly interesting the kind of flack that he has gotten because he admits that being a Jack Mormon is completely legitimate.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 05:35PM

but this is an NPR story that is running tonight. The headline was something like Mormon v. Catholic. Someone interupted me right after the story started so I haven't listened to it yet.

http://www.npr.org/2011/12/08/143361304/why-some-evangelicals-back-thrice-wed-gingrich

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 05:36PM

Being mormon is a major problem for Romney.

Leaving mormonism would be a major problem for Romney. Not only would mormons hate him for that, but even Christian fundamentalists would be torn. They believe in sticking to one's faith as a virtue. On the other hand, they think mormonism is evil. I think they'd welcome Romney with one hand, and push him away with the other.

Either way, he can't win.

If Romney had had the foresight to leave mormonism a decade ago, he might be in better shape.

Posted by: ExmoDad ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 10:07PM

Exactly. I think even if Romney had quit the cult after being Governeor, he'd have been ok... but doing so now would be harder, as he'd have to stiff all the Morgbots who are now supporting his run.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 06:55PM

I don't think fundamentalists would reject Romney if he converted. I think they would see it as a triumph to be promoted. I note a comment below the article that suggests that forgiveness is the centerpiece of Christian faith. I accept that it is but the cynic in me might suggest that it is more a cornerstone if the party seeking forgiveness is a Republican in the first place.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 08:04PM

kentish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't think fundamentalists would reject Romney
> if he converted.

Now that would be a flip-flop.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 07:07PM

Romney is now criticizing his main opponent for converting to another religion.

Is it just me, or is this hypocritical for a person who spent two years of life trying to get people to switch gods?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.