Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Steve ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 07:04PM

I was taught in seminary, and probably other places that Jesus was LITERALLY the biological son of god and that this took place naturally, not supernaturally. There are lots of references to Brigham Young and othr prophets teaching this, but it has become de-emphasized and perhaps discredited. There is a huffpo article which discusses this topic (in part) and I am being called a liar by mormons for saying I was taught the "doctrine" in seminary.

I am curious as to what the board's beliefs on the subject were when they left. My hypothesis is that the older one is, the more likely to be familiar with this doctrine so if you chime in with your thoughts could you please give at least a ballpark of your age?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 07:13PM

I've heard that one too. I figure they de-emphasize that story because how do you tell people they can't have sex out of wedlock if God did it? Same with JS.

Can't you just hear it?

Well bishop it says right here in the bible that God had sex with Josephs girl friend, and they weren't married. And That other Joseph he had sex with (can't remember all their names) and they weren't married (to each other) either! Now your telling me I can't be a member of this church because I had sex with your 14 year old daughter? It just don't seem right bishop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2011 07:15PM by mia.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 07:15PM

Who's to say the Elohim was not married to Mary. She might have been one of his spirit wives. And if ya believe this I have some swamp land in Idaho you might want to buy.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 10:00PM

...according to LDS genealogical records discovered by the intrepid Helen Radkey, an internationally renowned religion and genealogical researcher. Helen shared this information with listeners when was she a guest (her second appearance) on Doris Hanson’s show on Sept. 2, 2010:
http://www.aboutpolygamy.com/episodes/2010/ep335.htm

From the notes I took while watching the show:

Mary, the mother of Jesus, was baptized Dec. 9, 2009, in the Idaho Falls Temple. Confirmed a member of the LDS church on the same day. Initiatory on Dec. 16, endowment Dec. 26. Sealed to parents Jan. 7, 2010.

Mary has 2 husbands:
#1 husband: God the father. #2: Joseph of the house of David

There was a different record for “the Virgin Mary.” That record named God the father as the only spouse.

Posted by: xophor ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 07:23PM

My mission prez responded to this question with "How else do you think it could happen?!"...so yeah, literal copulatory sex was/is taught/believed. Don't be surprised by current members or leaders only knowing the skim-milk version of doctrine today...my brother's bish in Nampa had no idea what the Adam-God theory was until I told him about it.

Posted by: Michaelm ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 07:35PM

Hope this helps. It is from the institute manual.

http://institute.lds.org/manuals/new-testament-institute-student-manual/nt-in-01-1-3.asp

Scroll down to the heading "Jesus is literally the son of the eternal father"

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 08:31PM

Posted by: orphan ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 09:07PM

I threw all my LDS books away. I can't help except that I've known about God having sex with Mary since I joined the church in 1971.. I was taught that the Holy Ghost overshadowed Mary so she could be in the presence of the father. Otherwise his glory would have destroyed her. I was also taught that Jesus was part god and part human. The only way he could die is if he gave up his life.
The trinity is a lot harder to understand than the mormon concept of the godhead. I think the biggest problem is that religious people in general are afraid to ask questions and then weigh the answers. I don't think that is true of all religious people because there are a lot of religious people on this board that have asked a lot of questions and have left the LDS church and some have left organized religion, but still believe in God in some fashion.

Posted by: quatermass ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 09:38PM

And Jesus was born in April.

Just another nugget of truth "we" posessed that the other churches didn't; validated the superiority of Mormonism!

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 10:23PM

In fact this stupid bitch took me to task one Sunday school lesson for suggesting that it didn't HAVE to be literal sex.

"She will be OVERSHADDOWED" the harpy screeched at me.

Whatever. I was sick of trying to defend that fucked up sh*t anyway.

Posted by: Steve ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 10:49PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.