Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Formerly known as TBM ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 10:07PM

As some of you know, I just got home early from my mission, been living with my TBM parents. They don't know that I am leaving the church. I just finished with a conversation with my dad where he told me that the only way to lead a good life is through the church. Quite ridiculous if you ask me. He's usually level-headed, but this comment took me off-guard.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 10:31PM

some even famous, who have lived a good life. Conversely, there are many, many, many Mormon people, some even famous, who have not. (Joseph Smith comes to mind.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2011 10:32PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 10:31PM

My atheist grandfather led a good life, and was a good man. No mormon could have ever held a candle to him.

Susan

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 10:37PM

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 10:52PM

I find it's the opposite. Mormonism takes good, well-intentioned people and gets them to do bad things in the name of God. For example:

Jesus said Love One Another - Mormons teach you it's OK to shun a neighbor or friend who leaves the church.

One of the 10 Commandments says Thou Shalt Not Bear False Witness Against Thy Neighbor - Mormons lie all the time about people who leave the church, just to justify their "superior" righteousness.

Jesus hated people who worried about appearance - Mormons only worry about appearance and think if they claim a certain "standard" they should be respected for it whether they posses it or not. Because they "appear" to posses that quality.

Conversely, Mormons look down on and judge people who don't keep up appearances.

Jesus said "Feed my Sheep". Mormons are taught "Fleece my Sheep for the building up of the Kingdom of God."

Jesus said "My kingdom is not of this world". Mormons build temples and hotels and ranches and malls with the money that is supposed to be helping others. They say it's in the name of God.

See my point though? I could go on and on but Mormonism gets people to do bad things by twisting scriptures and adding revelation and saying that their completely un-Christlike behavior is noble, righteous and good. They are today's Pharisees.

Posted by: jackol ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 11:03PM

There are many reasons that I have left the Church, but this right here is the number one reason. I grew up being told that the Church was the only way to have a good life and be truly happy, but then I look around me and see all these good people who are extremely happy and they are not Mormon and many are not even religious. I then look at many of the people in the Church and they are miserable. Sure some are happy, but the majority of them aren't. You can see it on their faces and hear it in their voices. It was a big eye opener for me.

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 11:11PM

I see good people in the church and good people outside of the church. I do not see any major difference. I see good people that are Catholics, Baptists, atheists, Republicans, Democrats, and so forth. I also see less than good people in all of the groupings above

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 11:51PM

Well, Mormons aren't the only ones who think they know it all. I just had a very unnerving conversation on FB with the 18 year old daughter of my Fundie niece. A Muslim handed her a pamphlet on their view of God. She got all bent out of shape and vented on FB with her mother cheering her on. According to her, her beliefs are true, Muslims are all terrorists,Islam is evil, Christians are good, America is a Christian nation and all the Founders were devout Christians. I tried to politely set her straight. Big mistake. She doesn't want any facts to get in the way of her preconceptions. wow.This girl is in college. She just couldn't have a polite discussion with the Muslim who apparently was just passing out some literature trying to dispel some misconceptions. She might have learned something, but no, she has to spout off her bigoted views. I don't know who her history teacher was, but I think someone needs to have a talk with him. I am so glad that I do not live in the Bible Belt if that is the way people there act. Gag.I could really live without people who are so sure their way is the only way..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2011 12:19AM by bona dea.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.