Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 08:13AM

http://thatsbooks.blogspot.com/2011/12/interdisciplinary-approaches-to.html

Wha??? The multi-faceted "Interdisciplinary Approaches to Twilight"???

I want blooood!! No. Actually, it's lunch time. I crave a cheese sandwich! ;o))

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 11:39AM

Please?

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 02:48PM

So my antennae were already pointed in a certain direction...

>"Please make a voluntary contribution to 'That's Books'"

Am I allowed to suggest that this is what the motive is, and there really isn't any group of real academics discussing this bit of literary fluff?

Googling Nordic Academic Press right now... Okay, there's a legitimate book that's been written about Twilight...

http://www.ipgbook.com/interdisciplinary-approaches-to-twilight-products-9789185509638.php?page_id=32&pid=NRD

Being sold by some small book publisher, and I don't see any "academic" endorsements...

http://www.ipgbook.com/history-pages-65.php

Okay, I'll look a little further; I see one title where I can safely claim a modest bit of historical expertise...

>http://www.ipgbook.com/watergate-exposed-products-9781936296118.php?page_id=30

>Watergate Exposed

>How the President of the United States and the Watergate Burglars Were Set Up As Told to Douglas Caddy, Original Attorney for the Watergate Seven

>An in-depth look at how the Watergate burglars were set-up, and how history has been rewritten. Disclosing new factual material about the Watergate scandal, this provocative exposé of the famed break-in of the Democratic National Committee headquarters in 1972, reveals that the burglars were set up, and explains how our historical consciousness has been altered to obscure the truth.

Okay, where do I send the bill for the bullchip filters?

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 07:04PM

I'm only 5 hours late to the discussion...haha.

Edit: However, it does have a listing on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Interdisciplinary-Approaches-Twilight-Contemporary-Experience/dp/9185509639

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2011 07:05PM by snb.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 03:51PM

Date: December 10, 2011 03:56PM

Nothing more, nothing less.

Like a taxi, you can never be quite sure what it will carry, some saints, some sinners.

And it really is interesting when someone quotes something that is not what they read, but what they seem to think they might have read.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2011 03:59PM by matt.

Date: December 10, 2011 07:03PM

The author is from Sweden, teaches sexology and not even at the doctorate level. My thoughts are that this will never turn into an actual class, though the book might sell well.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 07:07PM

You've got some 'splainin to do.

Date: December 10, 2011 07:10PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You've got some 'splainin to do.

Presumably that is because the whole concept of Mormon vampires is seriously fucked. ;o))

Date: December 11, 2011 03:42PM

I'm talking about the author of the textbook, not of Twilight.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 07:37PM

There is a difference between studying a book for its intrinsic literary value and studying a book as a social phenomenon. This is clearly a reference to the latter.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 08:11PM

The Twilight series really isn't well written. I'm baffled why ANYONE wants to read them.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 08:58PM

I agree with Pista here. I don't think Meyer's books get studied and written about because of their literary quality (someone might discuss their qualities, but that's different). I think people are looking at the cultural phenomenon, maybe comparing the books to earlier popular waves, myths, icons, fairy tales, women's fantasies, their constructions of men, etc.

It's the same reason some academics might take a look at the Harry Potter books--kind of a "What's up with that?" and "What do we know about the history of popular culture, demographics, technology, history, and current events, political, and social changes that teach us anything or that make sense of these works having any hold on so many people's interest and care and pocketbooks?"

Anything that has a lot of people, especially young people, reading and talking about certain characters, a fictional world, relationships, evaluating the merits of X or Y happening there, is going to get the attention of some educators, sociologists, cultural critics, not to mention market researchers.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 09:21PM

Posted by: stillsmallvoice ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 09:58PM

One of the most humorous readings is the young gentleman Alex from the UK. He's a pretty smart kid, who takes on the task of reading Stephanie's 1st book one chapter at a time and blogging about it. It's hilarious. A bit of language but if you want to see how someone who can identify good literature reads her book I suggest giving it a try.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=alex+reads+twilight&oq=alex+reads&aq=0&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=4642l6124l0l7842l10l10l0l2l2l0l207l1415l0.6.2l8l0

Date: December 10, 2011 10:09PM

I think Alex has a potential for a career in TV! What was with the fluffy balls on her eyes? Who was she, anyway? ;oD

Posted by: stillsmallvoice ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 10:23PM

LOL. I don't know he does a random bit at the beginning/end of his vids at times. The ch1 starts out slow, but by the time I got to ch. 4 and 5 vids just watching his reactions to her writing had me rolling. The good thing is they are short...3 min or so per chapter. The ones at the end of the book are classic. Took the kid a whole year. LOL.

(for the non-theists here, he also does a reading of chapter one of genesis in the bible which is pretty good)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.