Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 11:11AM

Laurel Thatcher Ulrich lecture: "Stirring up LDS History"
Public Event · By Sunstone

Sunday, Dec 11, 7:30 pm
Gould Auditorium, Marriott Library, University of Utah

Description
Relief Society sisters now have a new resource—a compact history of the Relief Society called Daughters of My Kingdom. The new manual, which is to be used from time to time for lessons given the first Sunday of each month, is not only unusual for its focus on women but for its chronological organization. Most Church manuals are organized thematically, offering little scope for discussing change over time. Despite its uplifting narrative, this manual may require a new set of skills. As teachers of women’s history know, you can’t just “add women and stir.”

Laurel Thatcher Ulrich taught her first Relief Society lesson more than fifty years ago, when she was an undergraduate attending a student ward at the University of Utah. She began teaching women’s history at the college level in 1975 when she was a graduate student at the University of New Hampshire. She is the author of many books and articles on early American history and women’s history and is now completing her first book-length work in Mormon history, “A House Full of Females: Family and Faith in Nineteenth-century Mormon Diaries.” She is 300th Anniversary University Professor at Harvard University.
-----------------------------------------

She's a REAL Mormon intellectual. Don't let the fact that she is still Mormon put you off. She has been a troublemaker (that is, honest) for decades. If you are near SLC Sunday and have any interest in LDS women's history, this should be a real treat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurel_Thatcher_Ulrich

BoJ

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 04:42PM

I, for one, would deeply appreciate it.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 12:15AM

And it's about 5 blocks away to boot. Hopefully someone from the exmo mafia can return and report.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 04:55PM

A house full of females!
That polygamy thing just won't go away. She better be careful, if that book has historical truth that she doesn't edit out, she might find herself here with us.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 05:56PM

I've read "Good Wives: Image and Reality in the Lives of Women in Northern New England, 1650-1750" and "A Midwife's Tale: The Life of Martha Ballard Based on Her Diary, 1785-1812" and thoroughly enjoyed both.

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 04:22AM

Laurel Thatcher Ulrich spoke at the 1992 graduation ceremony at the University of Utah. On the podium behind her was a LDS general authority, I don't remember who off the top of my head. You could see from the expression on his face that he wasn't very happy with her talk.

Anyway, she had been scheduled to speak at BYU later that same year and then was unceremoniously UN-invited. Hmmm, I wonder if there was a connection there? You think!?

Their loss.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.