Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DeAnn ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 03:04PM

Ok. So I am visiting a relative here in Scottsdale, Arizona, wishing I would run into Steve Benson on the street so that I could chat with him for a few minutes.

My relative subscribes to the Arizona Republic so, at least, I got to experience one of Steve's cartoons first hand a couple of days ago.

In today's paper is the most interesting article about a billboard campaign by an atheist group to try to dispel misunderstandings about atheists.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/2011/12/01/20111201billboard-atheist-stereotypes.html

The article says that atheists rank with rapists in being disliked and distrusted. GAD!

I am reading a new book, The Unbelievers: The Evolution of Modern Atheism. Mostly, I get the impression that, historically, atheists are not as depraved as rapists. Not even close. Atheists tend to be smart. Really smart. Thoughtful, as in full of thought and thinking.

And atheists can be moral without reference to a dogma or religious system. That would be surprising, I suppose, to many religious people.

From reading this book, I am realizing that the same debates about atheism/agnosticism/theism that I read here on RfM have been waged for years and years.

What I wish, of course, is that more people would abandon the notion that the stories and myths are true and embrace all of it as metaphor.

Probably not going to happen any time soon.

But, really, how can anyone, ANYONE, believe such outlandish nonsense. And that goes for all the Christian fables.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 08:50PM

. . ., for example, with FFRF co-president Dan Barker to ex-Mormons in SLC, as well as around the country.

It was a good article. The number of non-believers is growing, both here and abroad--and the Sooper Dooper Sky Daddy doesn't seem to be able to do a gawddamn thing about it. :)

FFRF is fightng the good fight, not the god fight.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2011 09:02PM by steve benson.

Posted by: DeAnn ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 03:37PM

I hope that you are right, that the number of non-believers is growing.

It IS a good fight.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.