Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 02:34PM

I read the other thread and noticed that other people have a completely different interpretation of the comments.
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,362366,362366#msg-362366

This is my interpretation of those short comments based on my experience as an LDS woman for many decades:

Considering how many thousands of women go to the church schools, and how many graduate, I'd say that education , as I was taught in the LDS Church was very important. There was always great emphasis on education for women. Many, many women I knew/know personally had degrees, used them at different points in their lives. We lived in BYU campus housing for several years in the 60's. Many, many of the women were taking classes.

I didn't read his statements as not needing education. He was, in my reading of the quote, referring to a certain kind of spiritual knowledge that is not taught in the subjects he listed.

I think it's important to remember the text and what he was trying to say to women. I didn't "take" offense at those statements, it was just a way of separating different kinds of knowledge and truths.

It's what I would expect from a religious leader teaching religious principles.

Of course, my background plays heavily into how I interpret what I read. I was a convert as a young adult, married in the temple about a year later.

I come from a long line of ministers. I considered going into the ministry myself as a Music Minister coming out of high school (all a female could do in the churches at that time). I grew up in a home with absolute beliefs in: God, America, and Apple Pie! (In our case, it was Lemon Meringue).

Later, I considered questioning and evaluating the whole concept of deities and saviors and came to a very different conclusion.
At this point, I am more than 50% neutral re: the LDS Church mainly because I am passionate about the rights of human beings particularly to their personal choice in religious beliefs.

Also, I came out of the LDS Church with an attitude of gratitude toward what I gained; mainly my family and the experience of living in a very strict religious belief system, which I gave my whole support and belief to.

So, I read comments by the LDS leaders from that experience.
I take great issue, however, with some of the teachings regarding the role of women, for instance, (those are for another post.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.