Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: December 12, 2011 01:02PM

Has anyone seen this?

"There's trouble in paradise when Mormons Amanda and Chris exclude his family by marrying in the temple."

http://www.mtv.com/shows/engaged_and_underage/video.jhtml?filter=fulleps

Scroll down to episode 6 dated 2/22/2007

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: searching27 ( )
Date: December 12, 2011 01:24PM

"I have already given up so much already!" the fiance "tell me one thing you have given up..." and she can't lol

typical.

Date: December 12, 2011 01:37PM

A few weeks after my DD was temple married, her new MIL stopped by my house to drop something off.

She commented that the ring exchange (I refuse to call it a ceremony) was a "nice compromise".

WTH?! Compromise implies that everyone involved conceeded in order to reach a workable agreement.

I gave up seeing my eldest daughter marry the love of her life. What did this woman give up? Nothing as far as I'm concerned.

Date: December 12, 2011 01:48PM

selfish.... and pathetic.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 11:05AM

I don't know if it helps, but when I was married whenever I thought about my wedding day I thought about the ring exchange/ceremony... it was as much for me as it was for my family and friends that couldn't be there with me.

But then, I hated the temple sealing long before the actual wedding day. I had to fight to keep the guest list to the sealing down... I don't know how many times I said "None of my family will be there... no, your cousin/old YW president/college roommate from 4 years ago/etc isn't invited to the sealing."

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: December 12, 2011 01:36PM

"Mine, my wedding."

"I want this to be MY wedding."

"This is MY wedding."

"This isn't her wedding, it's MINE."

"ME ME ME ME."

"*tears* I'm not getting my way! This is causing me emotional distress!"

She reminds me of my Mother...

A toddler in a woman's body. If you don't get what you want, throw a tantrum. I pity that poor guy...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2011 01:37PM by Strykary.

Date: December 12, 2011 01:50PM

even though she tried the water works on him he stood his ground for his mom and sisters.

But her, and her parents, the "we have never had a ring ceremony so we can't possibly understand the significance to others and we think it is silly hogwash..." blank looks on their faces... I just wanted to scream

Date: December 12, 2011 02:14PM

When I first raised my objections to the temple marriage because we weren't permitted to be present, I was told that we shouldn't be upset because the temple ceremony is only sacred to mormons and therefore it had no special significance or meaning to us.

I could never make any mormon understand that it wasn't about the ceremony, it was about being present for this unique and special moment of my DD's life - just like we had been present for every important event up to then.

When she was planning the ring exchange, I suggested that those present at the temple be asked to wait outside and we would join them when it was finished. Afterall, I reasoned, the ring exchange would have no special meaning or significance to them. My DD was aghast at the suggestion and thought it would be insulting. She didn't see the irony.

Date: December 12, 2011 03:41PM

It is really ironic.... and after all if it has no significance to them they why would they want to be there? Or is it for the appearance of how special they were for the "real" ceremony because you know they can't shut up about it.

They never see anything anyone elses way.... at least that has been my own personal experience.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 05:02PM

Yeah, they "can't shut up about it." And the "ceremony" as a "compromise." What compromise? One is basically shouldered out of experiencing one's child's wedding. And really, I think it's on the child.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 05:11PM

What I don't understand is how converts can be so thoroughly brainwashed as to think that it's acceptable to keep their parents out of their weddings. That's some powerful (and quickly effective) brainwashing!

Posted by: Silly Sally ( )
Date: December 12, 2011 05:20PM

The reason it is so hard for them to grasp is because they belong to the "One true church". "It's the one true church. Its what we are told to do...Because we are the one true church." You can't get them to see past that line of thinking. They become the central computer in I Robot, "My logic is undeniable." Or they are like the group in Hot Fuzz, "The greater good." Someone once said on this board that its their programming. You still shouldn't be afraid to tell them how it makes you feel. They need to hear it. They should hear it. Even if they can't comprehend it, it must be said.

Posted by: A Woman Who Knows ( )
Date: December 12, 2011 06:11PM

The couple is now divorced. I know someone who knows them. You could kind of see that was going to happen while watching the episode.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: December 12, 2011 07:07PM

A Woman Who Knows Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The couple is now divorced. I know someone who knows them. You could kind of see that was going to happen while watching the episode.

Perchance, do you have anymore details? Just curious.

Date: December 12, 2011 08:05PM

I saw the one month after the show update... but wondered about after that... since it was from 2006..... they were both very young and had a lot of growing up to do... he seemed a bit more level headed than her.... well compared to her he looked extremely level lol

Posted by: Otremer ( )
Date: December 12, 2011 08:10PM

I wonder if the divorce was secret and sacred too, or could everybody attend?

Posted by: What I Heard ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 09:49PM

I heard he was abusive to her and before he left her she was hardly allowed to see her family. I think its just sad.

Date: December 12, 2011 06:19PM

I wondered if they were still together. Thanks for the update.

Posted by: Onefootout5 ( )
Date: December 12, 2011 08:07PM

Not that it would matter to Mormons who strive to please and be obedient all the time, but I wish that every Mormon would read this: http://puremormonism.blogspot.com/2011/02/go-ahead-and-skip-that-temple-wedding.html

Date: December 12, 2011 08:18PM

thanks for that... I am going to pass that on to my cousin who is marrying a nonmember and has decided to go against her families wishes... I know she is happy and I am glad for that, but knowing her I know she feels a bit guilty somewhere.... so thanks!

Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: December 12, 2011 11:10PM

Uhh pardon my language,
but what an ungrateful little bitch!!!
I can hardly stand watching this. Wow.
She really is like a child. I am so annoyed. I friggin hate mormon girls like that.

Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: December 12, 2011 11:12PM

And she doesn't want his little sisters to read the poems?! WTF!!! What a greedy little wench.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: December 12, 2011 11:14PM

I had never heard of this show. Providing validation and attention to teenage weddings? This is disgusting!

Posted by: chipsnsalsa ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 12:24PM

I laughed when the parents pretended not to know what a ring ceremony was. Every LDS knows that is the 2nd place ribbon for "unworthy" or "non member" family.

Also...

why isn't the dude going on a mission? I blame the facial hair.

You knew they were going to get divorced after she had to shove that wad of bubble gum in her mouth because she knew nothing about her husband....

Date: December 13, 2011 03:43PM

Mormons seems to really believe that we LOVE getting the booby prize and are surprised when we express animosity about the "crumbs from the table".

IMO, the ring exchange was thought up by the mormons to salve their bad conscious about their own bad behavior.

As I said above, it isn't about attending the temple sealing....it's about being present for your child's big moment. My DD had a very nice ring exchange, but it did nothing to ease the hard feelings being excluded from the "real" ceremony created in our family.

Posted by: This is stupid ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 06:14PM

caedmon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has anyone seen this?
>
> "There's trouble in paradise when Mormons Amanda
> and Chris exclude his family by marrying in the
> temple."
>
> http://www.mtv.com/shows/engaged_and_underage/vide
> o.jhtml?filter=fulleps
>
> Scroll down to episode 6 dated 2/22/2007

He cheated on her and left her for a girl he used to hook up with in high school that had a boyfriend. He was a jerk.

Posted by: FortuneStreet ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 10:49AM

Frequent lurker here. In response to This Is Stupid concerning the fate of that couple from Engaged and Underage:

I would cheat too under the circimstances of that episode. A new convert that has to ask his fiance "What have you given up for me", she was a bridezilla, and did things TSCC way, add their age, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Not condoning cheating, but if it took this brief marriage for him to see Mormonism for what it is, more power to him.

Posted by: lazy lurker ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 11:53PM

That was awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 03:36AM

That ring ceremony is so much more than usually is allowed. They at least got a memory of a pretend event, rather than the rubbish that is the mormon ceremony.

Posted by: Cmiller360 ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 02:56AM

I have a long time friend who is Mormon and their conversion tactics astound me. Her mother was the first to convert. Her husband told her to stay in the car while he went in to make a deposit, 20 minutes later she went into the bank to see what was keeping him and he was nowhere to be found, she never saw him again. 1 year later she converted with her 4 and 5 year old. Her children grew up Mormon but her daughter married a man who was not Mormon and had no interest in converting, intact he wasn't hot on the idea of raising their kids Mormon. 10 years into their marriage she had an affair with another man and found herself pregnant with his child. Needless to say her husband was devistated and within 6 months he had converted. Does anyone see a pattern here? Mormons seem to catch you at your most vulnerable point and pounce. As far as I know her husband I are the only ones who know about her affair. It kills me every time I imagine them walking into their local temple with all of the other
stepford families pretending their marriage and home file are perfect while their oldest daughter has such psychological problems (untreated because "Mormon families believe god will work it out for them") that she lashes out physically and literally beats her mother up to the point where her mother has to wear long sleeved shirts in the middle of summer. I have never seen a more distinction all family but they are Mormon so whats shown on the outside is much more important than taking care of the problems on the inside. Not to mention the fact that the family cant afford school supplies but is still giving 10% to the cult (oops i meant religion).

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 10:35AM

I am a convert and when my family was excluded from the sealing, I wanted to have a traditional wedding. Then the push really came in by leadership and his family (who came back from inactivity to see the marriage). Statements like "well if they really cared they would join", and my personal favorite (sarcasm), "wonder if you marry for time and in that year he dies? Then you will never see him again." All the guilt was on me if I did not go to the temple to be sealed and I was not stong enough to withstand it. Now all these years later and kicking the abusive SOB to the curb, it is still my biggest regret.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.